Just Adopted A Siberian Husky

Guest HuskyServant

Guest HuskyServant

Hi,

We lost our Chow/Shep/Malamute mix to old age.

We had her from a puppy age and was always off leash - even to go out to go potty in the cold snowy forest of the high country of the rockie mountains. I had a motion detector and a chime to tell me when she was back and she always came right back for 14 years - no fence, no leash. We also brought her to work every day (a computer shop) where she was a bit barky at ups, fed-ex and guys she was "protecting" my wife and business partner from.

Two weeks after this dog was put to sleep, we went to the shelter and a beautiful 3 year old spayed female Siberian Husky was available. And we took her home.

She seemed very docile and sweet but not your wagging tailed affection of most other dogs. Her name is Remo. We have been taking her for leashed walks in the forest in the morning for about 45 minutes each day.

We took her to work, opened the front door as it is hot outside and leashed her up to my wife's front desk where she crawled under the desk and went to sleep.

The first walk in customer came in and Remo didn't even bat an eye.

Fed-Ex came in and backed up seem the new HUSKY and said "Hi K-9" nervously. Remo opened and eye and went back to sleep.

This is how she behaves all day at work and we are delighted.

When we bring her home at night she is more happy and active wanting to go for a walk. We blow her off as we do are walks in the morning

so she goes into quiet mode again. Ok.

The issue we have is outdoor potty time.

Every other dog I have owned will pee on grass cause it's there.

Not Remo. We follow her all over the yard for 10 or so minutes saying "Go Potty" over and over. She acts like this is a foreign word which led us to believe she was either deaf, was raised by people of different language or just not like other dogs. She will eventually drop n' pee

but hasn't gone #2 on the leash yet but has twice in the house.

I have a dog chain screwed into the deck that I disparately need to transition to before winter hits with all of it's Rocky Mountain fury as neither my wife nor I wish to  be trudging around the yard in a blizzard at 10:00 pm saying "Go Potty"

She is a perfect dog we have had now for 4 days. Except for this reluctance to go potty like other dogs do in a business like fasion

She would rather be in the house with her pack than out on the deck or grass in the lovely summer weather and whines to get beck in and bags her paw on the screen. When we tried to ignore that she slipped out her collar and ran off apparently to find others who wouldn't treat her so wrongly as to (let her outside)? = Really?

So the tie off is out for now and if she want's to stay in with us so be it but she MUST learn to go potty outside with desire to do so as most dogs will.

Help!

:Ron

She is still new, so she's still getting used to everything. When I adopted my boy, it took him a few weeks until he got used to us. He didn't eat or go to the washroom for the first few days. 

Mine doesn't respond to verbal commands to do his business either. He just asks to go outside, wanders around for a bit, and then eventually on his own he'll go to the washroom. Then, he'll come running up to ask to come back inside. Like your girl, mine doesn't like being outside when the rest of his pack are inside! 

I agree with Elyse I think she's still adjusting. My boy doesn't respond to verbal commands to go potty either. In fact I rarely see dogs that do. Regarding deafness, try to call her while she's looking away or even asleep. You don't have to yell, just call her name softly. If she knows her name well, she'd turn her head around and make eye contact. But of course the best way to tell is by taking her to the vet's :)

How do you clean her accidents btw? I'm sure you already know it has to be very clean to the point she can't find the pee scent anymore, but the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to suggest to scoop up some of her pee/poo and put it on the grasses outside. Dogs just pee wherever it smells like pee. If the grasses smell like pee she'd pee there, too! So all you need to do is arrange a scent transfer from your house to the yard. 

First of all, welcome. Second, kudos for giving Remo a home to call her own. Not sure how much you know about Huskies, so don't be offended. Huskies make lousy watch dogs. Given the slightest chance, a Husky will take off. Huskies have selective hearing. If they don't see a benefit, they may not respond. You are probably going to need to praise her when she potties outside. Let her know she has done good. Don't let any tension enter into your voice when outside, wanting her to go potty. Give it a few weeks, she is probably still settling in and a bit unsure of her surroundings. Be patient, give her plenty of love and affection, and she will eventually come around.

Guest HuskyServant

Party over.

My wife and I went to church leaving Remo at home.

We came home 2 hours later to find thousands of dollars of damage to the inside of our home.

God bless all you Siberian Husky lovers as someone's gotta do it.

This pooch is going back to the Shelter in the A.M.

And I'm deleting my account here.

Rock on people.

Party over.

My wife and I went to church leaving Remo at home.

We came home 2 hours later to find thousands of dollars of damage to the inside of our home.

God bless all you Siberian Husky lovers as someone's gotta do it.

This pooch is going back to the Shelter in the A.M.

And I'm deleting my account here.

Rock on people.

That is why crate training is a great thing to do...

Can't really blame her, she's in a new environement, and you could have avoided the damage with a crate.

The ''Someone's gotta do it'' I find quite offensive, they are amazing dogs, if you can't deal with the ''problems'' you might encounter (with any other breed too) then in my eyes you simply do not deserve her.

This poor girl now has to go through it all again and is going to be even more unsettled. I hope she finds a loving and especially Knowledgeable family.

Good luck to you in the future.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Some people don't deserve to have animals. Poor thing was upset by being left for two hours in a reasonably new home, and why was she left on her own somewhere where she could cause thousands in damage?! I wouldn't give Khaleesi up if she trashed all my treasured possesions, from the second I met her and knew she was mine. This is a prime example of someone not doing their homework and working out if the breed is for them, just going on pure looks. And the animal shelter have a lot to answer for too...Grrr

x