My Husky Is Having Trouble With Training.

Brockton94

Well my new puppy Meeko is finally out of his shell and now he's a giant handful. He is full of energy. That wouldn't be a problem because I'd love to jog with him but he doesn't walk on a leash. Well He does but he only goes the way he wants and if I don't go he'll just sit and maybe chew his leash, if I wait he will usually go the way I want. And it's not because he's tired either. Also if he's walking on his leash and if I walk ahead of him he stops. And when we go inside I have to carry him in? Any ideas? He won't train I think I need different treats because he will eat them but he doesn't want them enough to come across the room and get it. They are chicken jerky bites. What should I do?

He's a puppy - everything is new to him. Let him explore his world - its good for them. :)

Also, you shouldn't exercise your puppy too much. It will damage their joints. The general rule of thumb is add 5 minutes to the walk per month of age. 

Ah, him not coming is part of husky stubbornness. As Elyse said, rule of thumb is 5min per month of age, and I also wanted to add you shouldn't jog him until he's a year old because it can damage their joints :) if you'd like to practice recall take a long lead to a large field and practice come, reward with a treat and lots of praise each time he does so promptly. This does not mean he will come every time, but its good for in case of emergency. Mine are never off leash and huskies are not good off-leash dogs ^.-

I keep each walk between ten and fifteen minutes. And thanks I didn't know you had to wait a year. Are there any treats that are particularly suited for huskies?

I don't know if there is a Petco where you live but we give Balto Petco lamb and rice beef strips they have no wheat or corn (which a lot of huskies are sensitive too) it comes in a blue and white bag with a border collie on the front Balto really likes those but then again he will do anything for his kibble so we took those to puppy class. You may find your dog likes his food better and you can train with that

I wouldn't - it may cause him to be scared of something when he's older. As an example, you should never pick them up/coddle them when they are scared of something. Contrary to what you'd think, that makes them think its okay to be scared of that thing. 

An exception to this is stairs - I wouldn't allow him to go up any right now. I heard it can be bad for their joints when they are this young. 

When I pick him up its never because he is scared, it's because he is too stubborn to go in or out and just sits there. And I don't want to drag him on his leash

LOL welcome to husky ownership ;) I think it won't cause any problem to pick him up whenever he sits down and refuse walking, but don't carry him too long. For example if he refuses to go through a door, put him back on four feet once he's through the door. It might also help to teach him the command "get up". This stubbornness hardly go away and one year from now you'll have trouble when your 30 kilograms husky flat out refuses to walk  :rolleyes:

It's all part of the stubborness, as others have already said.  The key is consistency.  I signed Nikko up for PetSmart training classes the day I brought him home, and went through all 3 of them.  We all learned a great deal about training and it worked well. 

Even if you don't go with a professional trainer you still should have some sort of training every day, but not for more than 10-20 minutes at a time as they will get bored. 

For the treats, you will just have to find ones that your pup responds to, and switch them up.  Nikko would get bored with the treats I started out with, so it all depends.  Mine will do anything for boiled chicken though, so I always have that on hand.

They are definitely not an easy breed to train, but with patience and consistency it is possible :)

I can already tell he is smart. I switched to his puppy food to train with He learned sit in less than a minute. But just because he knows what it means doesn't mean he'll do it.It's just the stubbornness. Also I thought we were making progress with house training but recently he has been peeing indoors more than usual. Is it possible he is doing it just so we can go outside and he can chase grasshoppers?

He's still young, and will need to go out to potty frequently.  It took Nikko a few months to be completely potty trained, and just when you think they have it, you have some accidents.  The general rule is to take them out 10 minutes after eating or drinking, immediately after napping and playing, and at least every 30 minutes.  Overnight or if they are crated their bladders can hold it up to an hour for every month of age plus 1, so 3 months = 4 hours and so forth.