Having The Dog "fixed" & Stud Dilemma

Shane0801

Blue is nearly 2 years old and we've noticed small changes in his personality he is still the same big softy around people but where as before he was very submissive with other dogs he seems to stand up for himself a bit more (not aggressive but he takes no messing if they go at him) and where as he has never tried to hump anything (dogs/humans/objects) this morning we caught him mounting my in laws dalmation

My other half has mentionedshould we have him done however I am quite against the idea as I think it should only be done if he becomes aggressive so wanted some outside opinions?

Also we always said before he was we would like to stud him at least once as he is a healthy dog and his parents were the same (breeder had both) he isn't KC registered but is registered with the Dog lovers registration club as his parents, grandparents & great grandparents were. So again wanted some advice on this

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hidden

Have the parents been health tested? If not I wouldn't recommend breeding him. There are all kinds of hereditary issues that he could be a carrier for. Registries are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme. Any dog can be registered, but especially with some registries outside of the major ones, they often only need a small amount of money to "register" a dog.

Something else to consider is exactly why do you want to breed him? What does he have to offer the gene pool?  Has he been proven in harness? Or does he have something conformation wise that would make him a good candidate to sire the next generation? 

As a breeder, you can never forget that this is a working breed, If the dog cannot or will not work, serious considerations must be made. A good example of this is my own Sibe, Nana. She does not have good drive in harness, (which was a surprise to everyone, since both parents have harness experience); however, she has exactly the body type I feel should be in the breed. So rather than breed her to the stud that was my first choice, we will be breeding her to a proven racing dog with a strong lineage of SD titles and an SDX title himself.

Personally if he isn't kc registered u can't find out if his family line have any hereditary problems ,, plus with the hundreds n thousands of huskies in rescue atm I would sway towards getting him neutered , all 3 ov my dogs have been 'fixed' my boys breeder has even stopped breeding due to the welfare situation

Look at the reasons you want to breed him and if the final answer isn't to improve the quality of the breed - then get him fixed. 

We men seem to have this age old aversion to neutering - just the discussion will ... well, let's not go there. 

When you consider whether to breed or not, remember that you have a responsibility to the pups that you bring into this world.  If mama has six pups and you're not ready, willing and able to have all six with you then reconsider breeding.

I take on board what you are saying, however I do believe (and others have commented) on what a good, strong, healthy looking dog he is and his dad was exactly the same and he has a perfect temperament for a domestic pet. We have never tried him as a race/working dog as that's not what he wanted him to be he, we take him for long walks and runs and he loves it. So based on that I would say he would contribute to the breed. I will be speaking to the breeders around previous health however.

I take on board what you are saying, however I do believe (and others have commented) on what a good, strong, healthy looking dog he is and his dad was exactly the same and he has a perfect temperament for a domestic pet. We have never tried him as a race/working dog as that's not what he wanted him to be he, we take him for long walks and runs and he loves it. So based on that I would say he would contribute to the breed. I will be speaking to the breeders around previous health however.

I don't mean in it in a rude way what so ever, but people will often say a dog is really nice when really they don't know anything about the breed.

Even my girl, she's always getting compliments left and right, and she does really well in the pedigree section of CDC shows but I know for a fact she is not breeding quality, she is not kc registered, I highly doubt her parents were health tested and she is not a good example of the breed standard, she does love ''working'' in harness but again its nothing serious, she hasn't been raced, we just do it for the pleasure.

To me, she is the most beautiful dog in the world, but she has no buisness breeding.

To me, it seems your boy is in the same boat, you might think he is a good looking structured dog, but until that had been proven in the proper show ring it has no meaning... He is not registered so you don't have the health history of his parents, grand parents etc... And he's never been raced so you don't know if he is good at what huskies are supposed to be bred to do.

I don't want to sound horrible with this post, but we already have too many huskies in shelters to be breeding everyone's pets.

So yeah, I vote for neutering lol. :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

with no intention to be offensive, I think we have different perspectives on the true definition of "contributing to the breed". In my personal opinion, a dog that is worth breeding is a dog that does well either as a show dog or a working dog. Two good show dogs that fulfill the breed standards are very likely to produce pups that also fulfill the breed standard. Therefore, they contribute to the breed. Two amazing working dogs are likely to produce pups with physical features that aid them in executing the task they're bred to do. Therefore, they also contribute to the breed. Two dogs that are super sweet, super smart and super good-looking can't guarantee a litter of pups that are as well-behaved and as healthy. I have no doubt that your husky and his parents are one of the best looking dogs out there, but being beautiful is only one of a ton of components that make a dog worth breeding. I still hope you reconsider this, but I don't want to tell you what to do. He's your dog, not mine. Not ours. We can't tell you what's best for your dog :) this comment is only posted to readjust our views regarding a dog that "contributes to the breed". 

However, I hope you are willing to spare a minute and read about this:

Hip dysplasia is an abnormal formation of the hip socket that, in its more severe form, can eventually cause crippling lameness and painful arthritis of the joints. It is a genetic (polygenic) trait that is affected by environmental factors. It can be found in many animals and in humans, but is most commonly associated with dogs, and is common in many dog breeds, particularly the larger breeds. <<wikipedia>> 

Although this trait is genetic, it's not necessarily passed down directly. It can jump through generations. So for example even if mom and dad doesn't have HD, if grandpa and grandma have it puppy might has it too. This is why it is important to get every potential sire (male) and dam (female) hip-scored before breeding takes place. My neighbor is a big fan of Rottweilers. He has a female he bought from a good breeder out of town, which he loved dearly. This female is a beautiful, sweet, loving dog and so he decided to breed her. She gave birth to four lovely male pups, but unfortunately something went wrong in the labour and she passed on. Possibly along with the rest of her pups because it's unlikely for a Rott to have such a small litter. Out of these four males, two of them suffer from severe HD. Troy, the youngest of the four and Diamond's best doggy friend, is only 5 this year and has encountered walking difficulties since he's 2 or 3. He is a powerful, energetic, playful breed but HD prevented him from walking too far or too long. After about 40 minutes of a slow-paced walk, you'd notice that his back legs start to move rather abnormally and the dog slowed down. 5 minutes later he won't be able to continue and has to lay down and rest for a while. All this and he's only a young adult. Oakley, Troy's older brother who lives in Jakarta, can hardly walk anymore. Troy's owner told me that Troy's left back hip literally doesn't fit in its socket. I don't like making this story sound overly dramatic, but it really is saddening to watch such strong, young dog suffer from HD. Only if Troy's owner, and maybe Troy's mom's breeder too, properly health-tested the pair before breeding these gorgeous pups might never have to deal with the pain of HD. Now here's the thing: HD is also very common in huskies. As I said, decision is in your hands but please don't make a hasty one. Even if you decided to stud out in the end, please properly health-test your dog, his parents, the bitch and the bitch's parents. Hip-scoring and eye-testing is only mandatory. Might sound like a paranoid act right now but if one day you come across a dog with HD, you'd realize why all of these tests are necessary. 

Good luck in whatever you choose to do xxx

i get told mine are gorgeous and a great example of the breed all the time , fact is they arent , skyla is over the breed standard for her height/weight and coat/tail and blaze is for his tail only , n whilst yes i agree they are gorgeous dog they wouldnt be the best dogs for the breed to breed from  best thing to do get a show judge to have a look at him , if they think hes a great example of the breed then great , however the fact hes not kc reg it would still not be advisable to breed him , as you cant track his lineage to see about any health problems he might pass down to the puppies that his parents might not have but he could be a carrier 

have a read of this - http://www.godivalabs.com/stud.html <--- directed about labradors but great to read all the same

My Diesel isn't neutered, he's 6, and he probably never will be. I would never consider breeding him. Why? I know nothing about breeding, and even if he is registered, it's a lot of responsibility. His vet told me it would make no difference in his temperament if I fixed him now, or not. He's a very docile dog, not aggressive. 

I, honestly, would think about the circumstances, and the informative advice of everyone here. There are far too many dogs in shelters that need homes.

I have spent the morning speaking to the KC, DLRC & some local vets and have come up with this. Some of his lineage were KC registered but for whatever reason the litters were never registered beyond the grand parents, there is no records for hip/eye scores so before we even considered breeding him I would have to get those tests done. We do have a lot to consider before we put him up for stud and even if we did its not something I would rush into I would obviously consider the bitch aswell. I wouldn't mind getting him checked out by someone with in the show circle who knows what they're looking at out my own curiosity more so than anything but I have no idea how I would go about this?

IMHO I would not breed my dogs, even if they were registered, and most definitely not if I wasn't completely sure of their heritage.  I got Yukon from what I am guessing is a BYB, and while I love him and can't imagine life without him, if I were to do over again I would have done more research on the breeder. 

The problem is, no proper breeder wouls use a stud dog thats non registered, non proven and with no history of health tests

So I can only see people who want to breed their pet husky bitch just because they want a litter.

Sorry if it sounds harsh just being honest

The problem is, no proper breeder wouls use a stud dog thats non registered, non proven and with no history of health tests

So I can only see people who want to breed their pet husky bitch just because they want a litter.

Sorry if it sounds harsh just being honest

What she said.

Shane, while we're coming down pretty hard on you, bear in mind that it's really our experience talking. 

If you want to breed him, then there's, obviously, nothing we can do.  You are the one who asked form some advice on this.  We've done the best we can, but now it's up to you to decide how to resolve your (your words) dilemma.

What would you gain by putting him up to stud?

What would he gain?

Are you really prepared to go to the expense - and it is expensive - to have him tested for potential defect in spite of the fact that he's not registered.

Everyone likes cute puppies, but are you as prepared as the bitches owner should be to take back any pup that doesn't meet the new owners expectations with all the problems that the new owner caused?

Oh, I've kicked myself a few times for not breeding an excellent dog - but in retrospect, I've never kicked myself for being responsible for puppies that end up in a shelter.

All we're asking, all I'm asking, is that you really think long and hard about this ....

my mum has pedigree health tested tibetan terriers. she bred them (owning both mum and dad).

pups are now 10 weeks old and she has sold only one out of four.

my mum now faces the prospect of having 5 dogs!

but she bred them so theyre her responsibility.

just a scenario to think of. and tibetan terriers have less pups than a husky too lol.

Edited by Storm Angel n Auroras Mum

Hidden

In terms of responsibilities, in the case posted above, the owner owned both bitch and dog. Even though you will own the stud, you will still be responsible for the puppies. If an owner can't keep one, it will be up to you to take it in if the dam's owner will not.

I have spent the morning speaking to the KC, DLRC & some local vets and have come up with this. Some of his lineage were KC registered but for whatever reason the litters were never registered beyond the grand parents, there is no records for hip/eye scores so before we even considered breeding him I would have to get those tests done. We do have a lot to consider before we put him up for stud and even if we did its not something I would rush into I would obviously consider the bitch aswell. I wouldn't mind getting him checked out by someone with in the show circle who knows what they're looking at out my own curiosity more so than anything but I have no idea how I would go about this?

Have a look at the Siberian Husky's breed standard shown in AKC's official website. A show judge will tell you whether your boy fits to the breed standard or not, but before you contact anyone you can do some basic measurements by yourself. Grab a scale and a measurement tape. Record Blue's weight, height (from paws to the withers), distance between eyes, and so on. If any of these measurements aren't within the breed standard, IMHO you should drop this idea. It might not look like a big problem right now, but if too many people breed pet quality dogs that doesn't fit with the breed standard there will soon be distortions in the breed. You see what happened to German Shepherd Dogs?

When did this...

post-2850-0-57147500-1378811273.jpg

Turn into this??

post-2850-0-97292200-1378811301.jpg

That "signature arched back" will cause arthritis and back problems later in life. Not only that, you might notice that slowly but surely it's getting harder to find a healthy GSD from a reputable breeder. This is a real life example of how careless breeding can damage a beautiful breed. I'm not calling you careless, but I just hope you're ready to drop this idea when you find Blue doesn't fit to the standard or doesn't pass the health tests. 

I have a White German Shepherd.

She stands like the top picture, No exaggerated "Stacking" stance.

She would probably conform to most KC standards but being White she

fails automatically. 

And because she is White I've been advised to have her PTS

I love my Girly Echo and I don't care what the GSD conformists say.

They can Jog on.

Hidden

They claim that the structure is actually how the dog can work. The flying trot, one of the signatures of the breed (and totally inefficient) is supposedly improved by breeding for the sloped back and overextended reach. On a different group we have agreed they look like they are falling up a flight of stairs. But just like every exaggeration, it's not seen in every dog. 

Flying_trot-_best_op_576x407opt.jpg