Having The Dog "fixed" & Stud Dilemma

Shane0801

As a coordinator for my local husky rescue I will vote for neutering. We pulled over 50 purebred huskies in the past few months that were scheduled to be PTS. Not to mention the amount of emails we can get from breeders begging us to take their puppies because they can't sell them.

I think breeding should be left to a responsible, registered breeder. I love luka but he's neutered as he's above the breeds height and I just leave that to the professionals.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find its really sad; I have always wanted a GSD. For 5 years, since before I got Suka, I've been wanting to get a GSD. But I've never been able to find any good breeders - every single GSD has a sloped back here! 

(Hm...I wonder how much it would be to get one imported from Germany??)

i honestly will never purchase another dog. you can literally find any breed you want in a shelter/rescue. What's the point in buying a dog unless you are specifically buying it for showing when you can save one from death?

Me too! Except for the GSD, I think I'd like to experience having a puppy atleast once. Then, everything else will be rescues. 

i've experienced the puppy stage. i'm good to go on without it ever again. it's too much work. and besides, i swear rescue dogs love you the most. lol

Well, that's because you had a HUSKY puppy! Maybe a GSD puppy will be different. ;) But I digress...let's get back on topic, shall we? :)

I feel the same way...I don't think I would ever purchase a puppy again.  When I decided to get a second dog, my thought was that I wanted a puppy so I would know where it came from and not have to worry about if it would turn on me.  After rescuing Kodiak I realized that my "fears" were mostly unfounded.  He blended in like he has been here forever.  After joining many different husky groups and seeing just how many dogs are in shelters or abandoned I could never justify buying a pup

Yeah, after going through that twice, I am all set with the puppy stage LOL!

And just the cost!  Adding up what I paid for Nikko it was around $2,000 for the intial cost, and all of the rounds of shots.  For Kodiak, I have spent $195 and he came neutered and with all his shots!

i've experienced the puppy stage. i'm good to go on without it ever again. it's too much work. and besides, i swear rescue dogs love you the most. lol

Yeah, after going through that twice, I am all set with the puppy stage LOL!

And just the cost!  Adding up what I paid for Nikko it was around $2,000 for the intial cost, and all of the rounds of shots.  For Kodiak, I have spent $195 and he came neutered and with all his shots!

When I adopted Suka he was around $250. He came with all his shots, plus free pet insurance for 6 months. Rescues FTW!

I'm not trying to justify puppy buying, but I bought a puppy because I have always been a little scared of dogs and for me, the idea of bringing a small baby dog into my house was less scary. I would love to get a rescue now, having been through the puppy stage, but I admit I'm still a little afraid of unfamiliar adult dogs.

Well, that's because you had a HUSKY puppy! Maybe a GSD puppy will be different. ;) But I digress...let's get back on topic, shall we? :)

well we have 6 gsd puppies in our rescue right now. almost ready to be up for adoption. my point is that it's possible to get WHATEVER you want without purchasing from a breeder. anyways back on topic...

I'm not trying to justify puppy buying, but I bought a puppy because I have always been a little scared of dogs and for me, the idea of bringing a small baby dog into my house was less scary. I would love to get a rescue now, having been through the puppy stage, but I admit I'm still a little afraid of unfamiliar adult dogs.

but you can rescue a puppy... we've had at least 6 husky puppies in our rescues this year. Now yes they may be harder to find but you can find them.

I have to agree with what others have said i personally believe that no dog should be bred if its its kc reg, health tested as far back as possible and shown and worked xx

My Storm is a super dog, and I get so many great complements on appearance and behaviour. On top of that, he would make a great sled dog as he proves pulling bike or scooter. However, he has no papers and no history, so I would never dream of breeding from him. I previously had a Keeshond that was not done, and it was a huge mistake - as he got older, he got more aggressive towards other dogs. I therefore decided before I ever got Storm that he would be neutered, and good as he was previously, he just carries on improving with age, playing with all dogs from Chuhauwaus to Old English Sheep Dogs and Rotties, and everything between. I put so much of his behaviour down to being neutered. Other dogs don't see him as a threat, as he gives off a relaxed demeanour.

My money would be on neutering.

but you can rescue a puppy... we've had at least 6 husky puppies in our rescues this year. Now yes they may be harder to find but you can find them.

honestly I kinda feel bad adopting a shelter pup... they're the ones that everyone looks for. Petfinder and other websites always advertise "adopt an un-adoptable dog!" "adopt a black dog today!" or "adopt a senior!" so when I see cute puppies in shelters, even if their cuteness makes me melt, I can't help thinking that these little guys will find a good home soon anyways so why don't I take a look at the ones often overlooked....

Am I weird? (._.)