From Russia...

Jase

Hi All,

I was going through some photos my wife took in Russia when she went back home for a visit in 2010. My wife is from Kamchatka which is far eastern Russia and boarders Siberia. She has a friend who is a native from a tribe that boarders these two regions. Here is a picture of one of her friends' Huskies and a sled they use to run the dogs. Photos were taken in the middle of Summer. Probably doesn't conform to any breed standard but is probably as representative of the original breeds as found in the region these days. 

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

IMG_2163_zpsd08e1498.jpg

IMG_2177_zpsd78413ea.jpg

Beautiful dog, but "the middle of summer" - that sure looks like snow in the background!

... speaking with the Mrs, she corrected me and tells me it is mid to end of spring :huh: I was in Kamchatka one year in the middle of Summer and there was snow and ice up on the tundra as far the eye could see so I guess there are always patches. 

We call ours Siberian Huskies. . . but all of ours are many generations separated from

a Husky that was actually born and bred in siberia.

But that REALLY is a Siberian Husky. . . NICE :)

I was surprised that we had these pics as they were taken well before we decided on getting a Husky ( mainly due to our worry that such a dog wouldn't cope where I live). I was also surprised how "pretty" this dog was. They basically get fed porridge and salmon straight from the streams and rivers (when there is an over abundance) 

My wife says that this dog competes in a big race called Beringia that they have in Kamchatka - I think it is 950km and done on wooden sleds ????? http://fulbright.ru/en/jul_phillips

Thanks for the kind comments. I have been through the pics and I don't really have much to add except for these...

My wife Anna with one of the dogs

353cb790-c0be-4eaa-b91c-515e21093446_zps

My daughter Caitlin with two of the dogs

a03d1ee6-d5e1-43ac-bf5a-26264dbdb9d2_zps

Caitlin on horseback with Anna's Aboriginal friend

eb21966a-8725-430b-825d-02fb83ffe681_zps

Here are a couple of pics from when I was in Kamchatka, this was from a camping fishing trip with my brother-in-law - 120km from the city, 12 hour journey, half by ex-military transport (only way in except for Helicopter)

Transport on the tundra mid-summer

2009159.jpg

Me on the Tunda mid-summer 1 & 2

2009076.jpg

Same trip and yep Summer LOL!

2009158.jpg

Me with an amazing Husky at camping destination only around 5o km the above pic!

2009134.jpg

Wow! Must have been an amazing trip. Looks beautiful and very peaceful! :D

It was very peaceful except that we all went to sleep with AK47s due to the huge population of Grizzly Bears - we saw over 60 in the 5 days camping trip  :o

Too bad you don't have any more photos, I'm in awe! The dog on the first photo is so beautiful (and of course your beautiful wife nonetheless!); It must be awesome to be out in the wild like that, especially in Russia, and even if Russia itself doesn't sound harsh enough, then close to Siberia too!

Wow! I would think the grizzlies would keep to themselves way out in no man's land. Didn't think about all the wildlife!

They do for the most part, but people get eaten each year, normally those who are not prepared or happen along mother and cubs. Believe it or not but the husky in the photo with me is their bear warning device, he was always quite but would go nuts barking when he caught bear scent.

Too bad you don't have any more photos, I'm in awe! The dog on the first photo is so beautiful (and of course your beautiful wife nonetheless!); It must be awesome to be out in the wild like that, especially in Russia, and even if Russia itself doesn't sound harsh enough, then close to Siberia too!

Got plenty of photos but no more husky specific. It really is a magnificent place, the locals think of Moscow and Saint Petersburg as different countries LOL. I can't wait to go back again.

Got plenty of photos but no more husky specific. It really is a magnificent place, the locals think of Moscow and Saint Petersburg as different countries LOL. I can't wait to go back again.

Yea, Russia is kind of ... erm, huge? :eek: Please take plenty of photos this time, it's always nice to look at photos where either nature is still untouched by humans or humans left nature take back what belongs to it. Cheers!