Please Congratulate Maya, She Passed!

Jbrown1028

Thank you everyone, it was a lot of hard work (for both of us). We have been to 2 nursing homes. One the first visit, a resident accidentally ran over her paw with a wheelchair, She didn't scream, yelp or anything, she licked her paw, I examined it and the guy was truly sorry for what happened. She walked over to him and laid her head on his lap and he petted her while apologizing to her. She took it very calmly! I was very excited that she didn't over react.

Her paw is fine even today, and she isn't afraid of wheelchairs or scooters. Such a professional :)

The big things are the commands:

Gentle

Bypass

Sit

Come

As long as those are understood then you way ahead of the game.

Next is not allowing her to jump on people without permission, and to not jump on beds without permission.

He/she must be calm and can handle being around any type of noise, confusion, or people.

Good luck

The big things are the commands:

Gentle

Bypass

Sit

Come

As long as those are understood then you way ahead of the game.

Next is not allowing her to jump on people without permission, and to not jump on beds without permission.

He/she must be calm and can handle being around any type of noise, confusion, or people.

Good luck

she can sit, never taught her gentle, but my nephew who is 9 gives her treats and shes always gentle. she comes if she isnt distracted. if shes really distracted, or really far away, she doesnt come lol. im not sure what bypass is, i guess you mean leave it? shes pretty good with leaving things when I tell her.

my main concern is the jumping. if i dont keep the leash under control she will jump on people to greet them, she just gets to happy/excited when people go "ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh a husky, sooooo cute" in high pitched voices. 

Well done that's brilliant, we have a similar thing over here 'pets as therapy' we looked into signing Loki up as everyone loves her and she loves everyone and for a 5month old she does mainly stay calm. She has to be 9 month old before the assessing can start. Defo gona try tho.

she can sit, never taught her gentle, but my nephew who is 9 gives her treats and shes always gentle. she comes if she isnt distracted. if shes really distracted, or really far away, she doesnt come lol. im not sure what bypass is, i guess you mean leave it? shes pretty good with leaving things when I tell her.

my main concern is the jumping. if i dont keep the leash under control she will jump on people to greet them, she just gets to happy/excited when people go "ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh a husky, sooooo cute" in high pitched voices. 

Bypass is very similar to leave it, or drop it... Basically how I trained her for bypass is, I started with Hike...

Hike is used to mean "Go" or as many would call it "Mush"

So to get her to "Hike" I would walk her and every time before the walk, I would make her sit and stay with me standing right beside her. Then I would say the word "HIKE" and start walking. As it progressed, I would say HIKE and start waiting for her to go first. The more we walked, the looser her leash would become and I would pat her on her butt and say HIKE. Kind of start off with a small jog so she would see that it meant to go.

Then she would stop to smell something, or see a squirrel, cat, or another dog, and I started on the BYPASS using the same tapping on her butt and starting a jog. This only took about 5 times to get that going, and she doesn't even hesitate to go when I say Bypass.

DISCLAIMER: The only thing I found out is although she does not pull the leash, she will keep it tight. When I say Hike and Bypass she does run out to the end of the leash and it tugs on me. I am torn on rather I want to train this out of her or not because I would like her to pull a sled this winter. I have been training her with a garden wagon right now and she is doing OK with it.

The jumping up on people is really the hardest, what I had done is started teaching her to jump up by tapping on my chest, and when she did it without me calling her I would set her down and make her sit.

This all requires the extensive use of natural treats. I buy Nurto Peanut butter treats.

Hope this little post gives you some ideas, and I am very happy to take criticism if my training could be better, although with Maya, Blu, Ralph, Bear, and Chinook it all seamed to work fairly well. Ralph is a Polm/Shih Tzu mix, so I used Ceaser's "shhht" method on major cases with Him. Bear was a English Mastiff that really didn't need too much, he was a giant and he was happy to lay around. Chinook, and Blu were my huskies before they passed, and Maya is this one :)

Good Luck.

Thank you every one for the comments on how beautiful she is. I am trying VERY hard to breed her once because I have family that have been Husky owners wanting one each, plus I would like to have another girl here so I can have Maya help teach some of the fun stuff. But no one wants to breed with me (or Maya either)... I was going to drive 3 hours to meet with one guy and he was all in to do it since I had the hip x-rays and eyes examined. But he will not return my calls. There was another couple about 30 minutes away, but they want to keep theirs for incest (that's the way I took it)

Maybe I should start with that line when talking to potential breeders. Well if I cannot find anyone by this heat cycle, then she will get fixed and I will just buy another puppy.

why not find a breeder in your area to see if one of their males would breed yours? im pretty sure our breeder sometimes uses outside dogs for breeding if they are ckc registered and have all their health checked out. 

thanks for the info on hike and bypass as well. i will work on both of those.

also on a side note on your signature Maya is anything but small. Shes actually at the top end of the weight for female huskies (50lbs is supposed to be CKC standard for top end weight). She also looks quite large in the pictures. You should see Zoey, our little girl is on the bottom end of the weight scale and is very small and is almost 2 years old now. We actually get asked a lot if shes a puppy and what kind of dog she is, for some reason people dont see her as a husky.