House Rules Gone To Pot.

Emma

In all the time I've had Brooke my lil staffy girl (12 years and counting, lol) I've always abided by 2 rules.  no dogs on my bed when I'm trying to sleep at night (coz it gets cramped) and no dogs on my sofa (again, no room!)  Never had a problem with this before and then in walks 2 husky pups (well, technically one husky pup and one husky mix/cross).  To start with it's like "oh Bear's  had such a rough start to life, she needs a little bit of tlc lets keep her close by but not on the sofa", next it's "Bear are you trying to get up on my sofa?"  "Beeeeeaaaaaar!  Doooooooowwwwwnnn!"  and finally it's ended in "oh stop giving me the mooshy eyes and just get up already!"  In all fairness she doesn't do it too often but really what happened to the house rules?!

Anyone else given up on the rules too?  Go on 'fess up!  I bet you've relaxed the rules on something, could be a big thing or something teeny tiny!  Share!

And this ladies and gents is the evidence!  (it's ok, Paul knows I put up shots with him in occasionally, he doesn't mind.  He features in last years south camp pics more than I do and he's not even a member!  lol

post-6386-0-05673700-1378810095_thumb.jp

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the CAT. . . It's the CAT

Look the cat is setting a bad example.

If the cat can go on the Sofa so can the dogs.

Stop the rulebreaking CAT and all will be well.

lol, yeah I know, tell me about it!  I'm not messing with her, you go tell her, she's fearless that one!   First time she met Ice, she just held herself high and literally barged her way across the room straight at him, poor Ice had to run away!  He's still scared of her now, always a big gap between them, thank god. 

yes it was going to be the no dogs on the sofa rule.

that was abolished.

now its more dogs on sofa than people. in fact sometimes i have to sit on the floor!

then it was no dogs upstairs ever. now they can come up in the morning for cuddles after the sons let them out of their crates.

yes it was going to be the no dogs on the sofa rule.

that was abolished.

now its more dogs on sofa than people. in fact sometimes i have to sit on the floor!

then it was no dogs upstairs ever. now they can come up in the morning for cuddles after the sons let them out of their crates.

ha, yeah it always starts with something small doesn't it?  and then it gets a little bit more and more...before you know it everything's gone to the dogs, literally!  lol.

1st day: No dogs on second floor, not even on the stairs. 

1 week later: Alright, the dog can have the BOTTOM staircase. Only. 

2 weeks later: Awww, you're waiting for me to get dressed? Alright, the dog can have the stairs. While he's waiting for me to get dressed. Only. 

3 weeks later: Awww, you're looking for me and followed me upstairs? Sorry but you're not... Umm... FINE. The dog can come upstairs. 

Now: The dog is free to roam the stairs at any given moment. Dog can also occasionally take a peek at what's going on upstairs. As long as he doesn't cause trouble!

I'll fess up I pretty much caved on all my rules! 

I had the "No dogs on the sofa" ..." No dogs upstairs"...." No dogs in the bed" .... 

Now I get upset when they aren't on the sofa with me  :rofl:

I must admit my Mother in law isn't impressed but nevermind! My Sofa my rules! Just wish I didn't have a suede sofa! Lol 

I'll fess up I pretty much caved on all my rules! 

I had the "No dogs on the sofa" ..." No dogs upstairs"...." No dogs in the bed" .... 

Now I get upset when they aren't on the sofa with me  :rofl:

I must admit my Mother in law isn't impressed but nevermind! My Sofa my rules! Just wish I didn't have a suede sofa! Lol 

ahhhhh, doesn't that feel better?  Just breathe deeply and let it all out, this is husky therapy time you know!  ;)

1st day: No dogs on second floor, not even on the stairs. 

1 week later: Alright, the dog can have the BOTTOM staircase. Only. 

2 weeks later: Awww, you're waiting for me to get dressed? Alright, the dog can have the stairs. While he's waiting for me to get dressed. Only. 

3 weeks later: Awww, you're looking for me and followed me upstairs? Sorry but you're not... Umm... FINE. The dog can come upstairs. 

Now: The dog is free to roam the stairs at any given moment. Dog can also occasionally take a peek at what's going on upstairs. As long as he doesn't cause trouble!

And this is exactly what I mean.  ha ha ha.  fantastic Olivia, thank you for sharing. xx

It does feel much better!

Is it awful that I am just counting down the days till I get get rid of my current sofa and swap it for a leather one? Love the dogs on the sofa but hate hoovering the hair from the suede lol. 

My husband also told me to stop letting the dogs upstairs to wake him up on a morning, but they keep "Accidentally" slipping past me on a morning  :ph34r:  :innocent: 

It does feel much better!

Is it awful that I am just counting down the days till I get get rid of my current sofa and swap it for a leather one? Love the dogs on the sofa but hate hoovering the hair from the suede lol. 

My husband also told me to stop letting the dogs upstairs to wake him up on a morning, but they keep "Accidentally" slipping past me on a morning  :ph34r:  :innocent: 

Leather sofa's are so much more practical so not awful at all!

He he, you let them sneak past?  cheeky, I like it! 

Nice description Liv.

With my two the only real rules I have for inside are:  no counter surfing and stay out of the trash.  Otherwise they're just members of the family.  Avalanche won't get on the couch, Sasha will occasionally get on it - but not with me there <???>

Of course the normal, stand by the door till you're on a leash and you don't run out the door!  But otherwise there really aren't any "rulez" 'round my place.  They're generally well behaved so I don't need them ...

Rephrase - the one that I can't get through Avalanches thick head is when company shows up "You don't stick your nose there!!!"

Nice description Liv.

With my two the only real rules I have for inside are: no counter surfing and stay out of the trash. Otherwise they're just members of the family. Avalanche won't get on the couch, Sasha will occasionally get on it - but not with me there <???>

Of course the normal, stand by the door till you're on a leash and you don't run out the door! But otherwise there really aren't any "rulez" 'round my place. They're generally well behaved so I don't need them ...

Rephrase - the one that I can't get through Avalanches thick head is when company shows up "You don't stick your nose there!!!"

Yeah, good luck with that one Al. Must say I don't fancy your chances! Mine love to do that too as all dogs do but mine also repeatedly smell your shoes, even the underneath part. Keep tripping up as three dog heads around your ankles doesnt make life easy!

Do yours do that too?

Edited by emma1979

We have always let Chula on the couch, but it did start with "oh she can be on the couch but only if she stays in her spot on the edge". Yeah, that didn't work, she now marches all over it. Definitely going with leather next time.

We also said "No Chula on the bed!" and mostly that is still the case, though sometimes I will let her up for morning cuddles. She does not sleep on the bed though and that will not change because OH is allergic to her licking him.

I think the worst rule we break now is table scraps. I hate giving her table scraps, but she walks into the dining area, and very obviously gets into her "lay down" position that I make her go into for treats, and stares at us from a few feet away. It's so cute that we fold sometimes. I know begging is bad, but it's just adorable. Luckily she still devours her kibble.

Yeah, good luck with that one Al. Must say I don't fancy your chances! Mine love to do that too as all dogs do but mine also repeatedly smell your shoes, even the underneath part. Keep tripping up as three dog heads around your ankles doesnt make life easy!

Do yours do that too?

I wear sandals most of the time and Sasha has never bothered them; Avalanche like to lick them ( ugh!!! )  When I've been out, Avalanche who lives outside, greets me like I've been away furever - but then he's more interested in what I've brought home than in me!  Sasha who would rather stay inside than out, just raises her head with an "Oh, daddy's home!" - if it's not too much bother!

I'm going off topic here, but I think the 'attitude' (for lack of a better word) of the owner carries over to the dogs, I'm about as laid back as they come and generally so are my dogs.

I was saying that the other day, my pup has really mellowed out recently, and I mean REALLY he spent all Saturday asleep, got up for a wee and went back to bed ( I would say he spent 98% of the day laid in his bed ) but myself and my husband are extremely laid back and lazy think it's starting to rub off on him. 

Also have a black suede couch in our lower living room......no dogs! It is now covered with a blanket and yes you guessed it FUR

Doesn't matter where you do or don't allow them, NOTHING stops the fur.  cup of tea with fur in it?  nice!