Entertainment?

thehairdresser

Just wondering how do people keep their huskies entertained so that they don't tear your house apart?

I walk Khaleesi first thing in the morning, sometimes at lunchtime and either Tim or I walk her before tea time. I also play ball with her (seemingly endlessly)

We have Kongs when we crate her too. What does everyone else do to keep their doggies mentally stimulated?

Aww bless her!!

I think im really lucky with my two as they have never been destructive to anything other than their own toys! They have kongs occasionally as a "pudding" after dinner, and they have two walks a day (mid morning and evening), but apart from that they generally just sleep!

The simplest thing is keep her from getting at stuff you don't want destroyed.

it's like when you have a toddler you move all the ornaments and put up loads of stairgates.

Same thing.

Husky proof the house

We've been really lucky with Kodiak as he didn't destroy anything when he was a baby. He nibbled the skirting boards when he was teething but then we got him a Stag Bar and he never did it again. We might have our work cut out with Kala as she seems to be a chewer! She is being crate trained and will have Kongs etc to keep her amused during the day. Once she's able to go walkies with her big bro things may change as she'll be using her excess energy I hope :) I do agree with Andy though. Husky proof the house as best you can and restrict access to the places you don't want her to get to. We've only just let Kodiak have more or less full access to all floors of the house now and he's 16 months old.

I just got more huskies :rofl: :rofl:

Nikko was, and still is awful!  If I don't look he will get his mouth around something he shouldn't.  The other two are pretty good.

I give him these stuffed bones that keep them busy, or a cow hoof.  And of course, Kongs are a must!  I tried the interactive puzzle games that you hide treats in, but they seemed to figure it out in about 30 seconds.

I agree about husky proofing the house, it pretty much is, we have baby gate (that she watches intently every time anyone opens them trying to learn how to!) The top two pics happened with me in the room!

I'm just interested to see what people do to keep the pups entertained x

Yep, husky proofing the house and yard :)

Outside we used two parts citronella oil and one part water sprayed/wiped on anything outside we didn't want her to chew (hand rails, steps, our wood box, wood porch poles, outdoor furniture) and it worked a treat.

Kongs, toys and exercise work well for ours. She's almost 11 months old now (eeeeeek it's gone so quick!). She gets a 45 minute walk/run each morning. On weekends we take her down the beach where she runs, plays and explores for HOURS! The days that I am at work I let her at a 3 litre plastic milk bottle filled with her breakfast. She has a high prey drive and throws it around the yard for a good hour while I'm getting ready and by the time I go she is completely worn out. Plastic soda bottles didn't work with her at all, she worked out how to slice them open in ten seconds flat but the milk bottles seem sturdier. After all that mental stimulation she sleeps all day!

I've also seen on another forum a guy put two fence posts in with a bungee cord between them and hung bones from it. He said it kept his husky entertained all day. We haven't tried it yet, and would definitely want to supervise her first!