Haven't Been Around Much

Sqwidge

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not been around much, life kinda has kinda taken over, basketball especially at the beginning/middle of the year.

But two weeks ago my daddy died. As some of you may have known he had oesophageal cancer. He'd had all of his treatment (at the time, he would have needed further tests/possible treatment) and from that he was doing ok, but he wasn't able to swallow. So couldn't eat or drink, he spent approx 8weeks in hospital being drip fed. He was sent home on the 25th August and on the 27th my mum came home at about 6.45 to find him dead. I had spoken to him on the phone at about 4 and when she found him he still had his phone in his hand. He had a postmortem done because he had only been released from hospital 2 days prior, and that showed that he had a gastrointestinal haemorrhage which caused an aortic perforation due to latter stage oesophageal cancer. The only thing we can take from it was that it was quick, like he wouldn't have known what was happening. I'm struggling to come to terms with it, and even after going to see him the day before his funeral, and the funeral itself I still can't believe he's not here, it just doesn't seem real.

I managed to read a poem at his funeral, something I didn't think I would get through, but I managed, just. Here's what I wrote:

My Darling Daddy

From the first time you held me so gently in your arms

To the time you walked me down the aisle with pride

'Til the last time we spoke and we said our last 'I love you'

My love for you has grown enormously with each passing year,

Which is why I have shed so many a tear.

I hope you know how much you're loved, in life as well as death

My heart shattered when I heard you'd taken your last breath,

It's being fixed piece by piece with memories of you.

I now know you are in a better place, where nothing can hurt you again

Don't you worry about Mummy, I promise you with all my heart,

I'll be strong for her and take care of her for you, as best as I can do.

I'll think of you all the time, so we'll never be apart

And forever more you will lie safely locked within my heart.

I just wanted to explain my absence a bit, but especially the last couple of weeks. I have been reading, but haven't really felt like replying.

Edited by Sqwidge

Awwww Sarah, so sorry to hear you've lost your Dad.

That's a beautiful poem.

You know we're all here if you need a shoulder, or to vent

(sometimes you need both)

Chin up, you're one of the strongest people we know

Again so sorry for your loss life can be so cruel sometimes it makes you stop and think why is this happening to me truth is thats life and you have to live for the now because you just never know people also greve in lots of different ways but you have a massive exstended family here in everyone of us so if ever you need to get anything out come here its what we are all here for to help each other, chin up xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry to read this.  I can tell that your dad was someone very special to you.  What a beautiful poem.  Somehow, I think he's looking down on you right now, with a beaming smile, because he had to have been so proud of you while he was here on this Earth.