Husky Howling

Clare70

Hello

I recently rescued my husky Harry about a month ago, he's approx. 16 months old. He's settled in well with us, seems happy enough and for the moment I'm at home all day with him. He's so far been pretty quiet but over the past couple of days he's started to howl at me and my son. I think he's just trying to get our attention as it's either when I'm speaking on the phone or when my son is doing his homework. It's not a problem, I'm just curious to try and understand why he's now started doing it.

Many thanks for any info.

Clare

Darwin jumps up scratches the front door then comes in woooooooos at me  the runs back to the front door.

I have absolutely no Idea what he wants :P

LOL he's either simply talking to you or he's trying to alert you that perhaps he needs to go potty.

or he may want to play.

Many thanks for your replies. I hope he does finally feel like he's settled in with us, I want him to be a happy Husky!

On another note, any ideas how to stop him eating our arms and hands? He goes through a mad stage in the evening, to the point now where we have to shut him out of the room from us.

I think he may just be playing but it's a bit full on and I've tried ignoring and walking away, but now he's begun to 'snap' in our faces and that just isn't on. He's a house Husky and we include him in most things but I won't tolerate biting and snapping. He may just be playing or want more attention but he won't get it behaving like that. Anyone else have this problem?

Again I appreciate any comments and info.

Thanks

Clare

He gets approx. 10 km walk per day over 2 or 3 walks. Then he has running around in our field but always on lead. We have a few ball games in our conservatory which is 10 metres long, though he gets bored of that quite quickly. I have 2 sons aged 18 and 14 and he gets very excited when they get home from school, they play with him but he just gets over excited.

Have you tried redirecting his energy? Such as getting a tug toy or turning it into a training session. Just having him have something to do will make it so much easier. You could get a kong and stuff it at these times. When Kora did things like this these were the times she trained the best. First thing I ever taught was her to retrieve the remote. She feed on these training so she was never that excited afterwards. 

Thing is he gets really excited when the boys get home, after jumping all over them he then chooses to chew their hands and arms. They don't mind but he gets too rough, so I've said no chewing! The trouble is is that his ears go back and he turns into a devil dog, he's hard to control. He's only playing but it's tough deciding how to deal with it.

Thing is he gets really excited when the boys get home, after jumping all over them he then chooses to chew their hands and arms. They don't mind but he gets too rough, so I've said no chewing! The trouble is is that his ears go back and he turns into a devil dog, he's hard to control. He's only playing but it's tough deciding how to deal with it.

for a dog that spent his early stages of life in a shelter, that's actually sorta understandable. Plus, he's young. It's typical for a young adult dog (not only huskies) to be stubborn. IMO your sons should learn that when they arrive home, they should pay no attention to Harry. They can play with him after he calmed down. 

• 2 weeks later...