Huskies Among Top 10 Aggressive Breeds; Thoughts?

winterchillz

Hey guys,

Me and my friend Angel, the owner of the pitbull, just watched the Dog Whisperer on the top aggressive breeds. Among top 10, along with the pitbull, rottweiler, german sheperd dog and doberman, we were suprised to see the huskies and malamutes.

I google'd top 10 aggressive breeds and I came across two interesting lists:

http://www.omgtoplists.com/misc/top-10-most-aggressive-dogs/

http://www.curiosityaroused.com/nature/top-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-based-on-bite-fatalities/

On both of the lists, the huskies and malas are listed as more aggressive than the great danes, dobermans and boxers. I was wondering what do you think might be the reason that such cuddly dogs at first look dogs are listed as some of the most dangerous - attack on humans, smaller animals, destructive behaviour? According to one of the lists, it's based on the count of "listed fatalities".

Probably the answer to this question is obvious to husky/mala owned people like us; both breeds have high prey drive, they tend to get destructive if bored and just to add to all that, they are big, heavy and powerful.

Speaking of my personal experience, the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of which areas I failed in training is the food aggression. Ares was and still is quite aggressive if you try to approach him while he's eating. If you get close he'd become stiff, stop eating and just growl; any attempt to get his food away from him would probably result in a bite. Apart from that he'd pull like nuts when he sees a cat. He once managed to trap our cat in the corner but then he'd just wag his tail and try to bite her limbs like when he's playing while the poor furball was trying to defend itself :lol: Still not a good excuse to let the cat anywhere near him though..

Hidden

Spitz breeds are by natural temperament, more reactive than other breeds. But mostly, the reputation comes from idiots who wouldn't know a purebred siberian if it ran them over. So when a wolf hybrid acts like a wild animal or when a mixed breed with blue eyes snaps at a kid, it gets called "husky" in the reports.

Whoever wrote those articles most likely did not know what they are talking about.  They mention their close relatonship with the grey wolf, however most dogs have the same relationship to the wolf.  Also, they said the husky is one of the most intelligent dogs in the world, however they don't even rate in the top 10 of the smartest breeds, in fact they rate 45 on the list (probably because of their stubborness).

I looked at a lot of breed restrictions, especially in apartments and homeowner's associations, and a big majority list husky as a banned breed.  I think mis-information is the reason for this.  Just like what happened here locally a few months ago when our police department shot and killed 2 huskies they thought were dangerous. 

I agree with you that the reason that people probably think that way is because they have no idea about the breed and the fact that they can become very destructive when bored, they are escape artists and their stubborness.

Wow I didn't relise they were put that high up on the dangers dog list. I don't see why they do it in the first place they should do a dangerous dog owner list. I don't think it matters what dog you have as long as its brought up the right way. It's just all them silly crazy people out there that make dangerous dogs

Ya I saw this on Facebook but it doesn't change my mind about the breed..same as pit bulls..ill still own one..it all depends on how it's raised..you could have a vicious chihuahua or a vicious bloodhound it all depends on how their raised up..I never take into account their location on the aggressive lists..but as mentioned above they are there because any attack by a husky mix or a husky looking dog or one with blue eyes they refer to strictly as a husky

This angers me whenever this shows up. Whoever writes these types of articles do not know what they are talking about. And, IMO, I believe huskies are among the top 10 smartest breeds. They may not be obedient, but they are smart enough to stop and ask, "Hey. No. I'm not doing that - what's in it for me??"

Yeah it always seems that they equate "intelligence" with "obedience" - when they are obviously two very different things. 

As for the aggressiveness, I can see the reason for concern when it comes to small and medium sized animals, since even on this board we've heard about huskies killing cats, sheep, chickens, etc. I see the way Chula picks up her tiger toy and shakes it by its neck as though she's trying to kill it. But I can't imagine her purposely hurting a PERSON. Now, she's only nine months, and she is being raised with care and love and people who dote on her. She is still nippy for the purpose of inciting play. If a husky wasn't taught bite inhibition, or if someone played hard with a husky and let it escalate, I can see how they might get a real bite. I don't have a lot of experience with other dogs though, so that's probably true of a lot of breeds.

I don't' believe huskies are aggressive however, if provoked they will defend themselves. A lot of it comes down to obedience. Sadly at the dog park most dog fights that i have seen include huskies. 

Though id say a lot of the times is due to mounting, or a snappy dog lunging, or another dog running into another. Or a common one i find is people FEEDING at dog parks.

I don't' believe huskies are aggressive however, if provoked they will defend themselves. A lot of it comes down to obedience. Sadly at the dog park most dog fights that i have seen include huskies. 

Though id say a lot of the times is due to mounting, or a snappy dog lunging, or another dog running into another. Or a common one i find is people FEEDING at dog parks.

Also, their rough play may be seen as aggression by other dogs...so they react accordingly. 

My thoughts are that it's stupid.

And because they are on that list

you insurance costs are higher than an "average" dog.

I always say huskies are not for everyone. They are chatty and plays rough. Some huskies, like my boy, have a low "playful growl" that sent some of my guests running. While fact is Dime is just expressing how excited he is. IMO dogs are so overpopulated these days people don't think they really worth anything anymore. If a dog displeases them in any smallest way they'd just say "meh, aggressive. Kill it." =\