Teaching "drop It".

Chula

Ok, I need help. We have "leave it" down pretty well. Unless she is feeling really naughty, she will almost always "leave" something that she hasn't got in her mouth yet. 

But "drop it" is where we are struggling.

"Leave it" was easy to train. I put food in my hand, used the command, and when she backed off, she got the treat. I can now put her food down and walk all around the kitchen and she will sit there waiting. Something can fall on the floor and she won't grab it.

I can't figure out how to train "drop it". The only thing she will "drop" stuff for is food. And once she knows I have food, she isn't interesting in grabbing anything else and she won't even give me the opportunity to train her to drop something. If she's got my sneaker in her mouth, and I go to the kitchen to get a treat, she already knows where I"m going and comes running sans sneaker, so I don't get the chance to use any command or make any connection to the command. I can't sit with treats in my pocket waiting for her to do something naughty, because she won't. She'll wait me out.

I see videos where someone is holding a toy, they give the toy to the dog, the dog gets told to "drop it" and gets a treat. Well, if she knows I have treats, she won't take the toy. She'll "lay down" and give me her "I need a treat please" stare. The toy is dead to her. 

Good luck! Nikko only listens some of the time. What we did is what your describing. Have a toy or something and put it in her mouth and try saying drop it and treat. Usually the only way to get Nikko to drop anything is a treat

I need sniff proof pockets! She can SMELL when I have treats, so will sit near me and behave like the most perfectly obedient dog in all the land. And she will not put anything naughty in her mouth in the kitchen where the treats are because she wants it to be free for snacking, in case someone gives her something good.

I feel this is my biggest failure as a dog owner! Well that and she jumped on a two year-old at the dog park yesterday - but you know what? Don't bring your two year-old to a super busy dog park and then set him down and let him run around!

Nah don't worry about it sometimes my dogs are out of control and it can be embarrassing. Especially when Nikko and Yukon start jumping on the neighbors that stop and chat.

It's especially embarrassing when people come over. They go bezerk for like 10 minutes!!

Mine can smell if I have something in my pocket. In fact I cheated and rubbed hot dog on my pants during one of Nikko's classes lol

Hahahahaha that actually made me laugh out loud. Of course given Chula's current favorite snack item, I'd have to rub dog poop on my pants. 

Nah don't worry about it sometimes my dogs are out of control and it can be embarrassing. Especially when Nikko and Yukon start jumping on the neighbors that stop and chat.

It's especially embarrassing when people come over. They go bezerk for like 10 minutes!!

Mine can smell if I have something in my pocket. In fact I cheated and rubbed hot dog on my pants during one of Nikko's classes lol

One of these days we seriously need to get Luka, Nikko and Chula together...they wreak havoc!!

i just bribe mine with treats. he only half the time listens now. lol

knox listens every time. he is my wonder dog yet usually the one who has something naughty in his mouth. luckily he's a pittie and follows orders better. haha

hmm if she will just give anything up if you have a treat then you can always try without a treat. we did with Eika.

If she is holding a toy, then you hold it as close to her mouth as possible (wrestle with it first if you want to get her interested in it then just hold it still), as soon as she lets it go (even a little bit, you may need to be quick) say drop it, take the toy out of her mouth and give her loads of "oohh good girll" in high pitched voice and pats on the head.  then give the toy back.

it may or may not work, but worth trying.

This is how I taught Jelly:   (She loves toys and she's a hog)

Before she's inside I'd just put treats on the counter over where she can't see. She may smell it but she eventually just ignores it and plays with me. 

Everytime I stop playing with her and pick up another toy she'll most likely drop it and while she does that I praise and treat her then I do it a few times without treating her so she doesn't get used to having a treat.

I'm guessing this only worked because she likes stealing dog toys that people are playing with.  She instantly drops it but now she always "drops it" when I tell her. 

If she isn't play driven, then I'm not really sure T_T

Ok, I need help. We have "leave it" down pretty well. Unless she is feeling really naughty, she will almost always "leave" something that she hasn't got in her mouth yet. 

But "drop it" is where we are struggling.

"Leave it" was easy to train. I put food in my hand, used the command, and when she backed off, she got the treat. I can now put her food down and walk all around the kitchen and she will sit there waiting. Something can fall on the floor and she won't grab it.

I can't figure out how to train "drop it". The only thing she will "drop" stuff for is food. And once she knows I have food, she isn't interesting in grabbing anything else and she won't even give me the opportunity to train her to drop something. If she's got my sneaker in her mouth, and I go to the kitchen to get a treat, she already knows where I"m going and comes running sans sneaker, so I don't get the chance to use any command or make any connection to the command. I can't sit with treats in my pocket waiting for her to do something naughty, because she won't. She'll wait me out.

I see videos where someone is holding a toy, they give the toy to the dog, the dog gets told to "drop it" and gets a treat. Well, if she knows I have treats, she won't take the toy. She'll "lay down" and give me her "I need a treat please" stare. The toy is dead to her. 

Hopefully this hasn't been said...

I am training my golden retriever at PetSmart and the way they teach it is to not add treats into the mix because the dog may pick up on if he/she brings you something they get a treat and they will end up bringing you every item they can grab. Instead they teach to give the dog one toy (or throw it and let dog fetch it) and when he brings it back say drop it while showing him another toy, when he drops the toy throw the other toy and when he goes to get new toy pick up old...rinse and repeat :) hope this helps

you need another reward beside treats IMO because looks like she has outsmarted you :lol: but seriously though if you're willing to take the long hard way, say "no. Get up." when she lays down and won't budge. Doesn't have to be "get up" might be some other command, but you get the picture. Use a low-tone, serious voice and don't show her the treat. It's gonna be a long process but at least she'd learn that the equation is not "laying down = treats" but "do what mommy says = treats". 

Oh and maybe you can put the treat somewhere (behind the cushion? in a box hidden somewhere within reach?) and only go get it after she did what you asked. With "drop it" I also use a toy... but since Diamond never steal anything anymore I stopped using the command and now forgot how did I teach it :P

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether this would work with you but I used a different command. Instead of drop it I use "Give". When Indi has something that she is not supposed to have I ask her for it and she will give it to me. I trained her on her tracking lead and a ball. I would get her to sit next to me and throw the ball. Once she had the ball I'd reel in the lead until she was back to me and I would ask her to give. When she did I'd "give" her either a treat or a good belly rub while praising her. It took a while for it to work but now I can say "Give" to her and get whatever it is she has... 

I hope this might be some help to you :)

• 3 weeks later...

My dog Blue just doesn't listen. It's very rare that he will listen to anything unless we have food for him. You say to him "come here" and he just looks at you like "are you talking to me" and will deliberatly walk a little towards me and then just turn and go away lol! Can be frustrating. Especially after owning a Labrador you didn't get this kind of ignorance.

My dog Blue just doesn't listen. It's very rare that he will listen to anything unless we have food for him. You say to him "come here" and he just looks at you like "are you talking to me" and will deliberatly walk a little towards me and then just turn and go away lol! Can be frustrating. Especially after owning a Labrador you didn't get this kind of ignorance.

I have a White German Shepherd.

She listens and does exactly as she's told.

Huskies. . nope unless there is a treat in it for them then you get

a grudging half arsed effort.

Different as chalk and cheese

how old is Blue and how long have you had him? :) Diamond will never come whenever called and sit whenever asked, but after a while you'll be able to read their body language and determine whether they're in the mood to obey you or not. It's not like they don't listen... It's more like they always ask "why?" to every command you throw them. "Come, Blue." "Why?" "Sit, Blue." "Why? What's in it for me?". Exactly why I like to think huskies are smarter than average

Anyways it's not like there's nothing you can do. You can always introduce training without treats. When Blue is alert, excited and focused it's very likely that he'd do whatever you say even without a treat. Make him go through a series of commands before rewarding him either by giving him a belly rub or tossing a piece of chicken you hid in a box on the counter. Soon he'd believe that even if the treat is not visible, you do have it and you will give it to him. And that will be the answer to all of his "why"s.

It isn't ignorance, it is stubbornness. My dog knows exactly what she isn't supposed to have. That's why she toys with me. If I ask her to drop something she knows she can have, she lets go. She knows the commands, because she will obey when she wants. I can see how someone who has had other breeds might assume huskies are ignorant or stupid, but its definitely not the case.

Well except that whole eating socks business. That does seem stupid.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

how old is Blue and how long have you had him? :) Diamond will never come whenever called and sit whenever asked, but after a while you'll be able to read their body language and determine whether they're in the mood to obey you or not. It's not like they don't listen... It's more like they always ask "why?" to every command you throw them. "Come, Blue." "Why?" "Sit, Blue." "Why? What's in it for me?". Exactly why I like to think huskies are smarter than average

Anyways it's not like there's nothing you can do. You can always introduce training without treats. When Blue is alert, excited and focused it's very likely that he'd do whatever you say even without a treat. Make him go through a series of commands before rewarding him either by giving him a belly rub or tossing a piece of chicken you hid in a box on the counter. Soon he'd believe that even if the treat is not visible, you do have it and you will give it to him. And that will be the answer to all of his "why"s.

Blue is 6 months coming 7 months old now, I have had him since august! I've always wanted a husky. Yeah I get that definitely. Kind of like. Young child, they'll always ask the question before actually doing something! I know they are definitely not stupid, he's very intelligent.

Funny thing is sometimes when I'll catch him beig naughty I'll sit him down and give him a firm "no" and then.. He'll run away tail wagging as if he enjoys it which can be rather amusing but frustrating at the same time!

Blue is 6 months coming 7 months old now, I have had him since august! I've always wanted a husky. Yeah I get that definitely. Kind of like. Young child, they'll always ask the question before actually doing something! I know they are definitely not stupid, he's very intelligent.

Funny thing is sometimes when I'll catch him beig naughty I'll sit him down and give him a firm "no" and then.. He'll run away tail wagging as if he enjoys it which can be rather amusing but frustrating at the same time!

Aha! LOL I'm sure you've heard of teenage stage? :P