Gimpy Dog

Removed #5

I'm not overly concerned yet, but let me bounce this off of y'all.

I guess it was Saturday that I noticed Sasha limping on her right front paw.  Didn't think much of it, ran my hands through her toes - she wasn't impressed - but she didn't react like I'd hit anything (I'm thinking in terms of cactus thorn, etc - everything out here has stickers!)

This morning when she came in (she's been spending nights on lead on the front porch) she was limping a bit, but when we went out for potty call and she came back in she wasn't putting any weight on her foot - holding it off the ground.

I've run my hands up and down both legs, into both paws and between her toes - as I said, she's not impressed but I'm not getting any adverse reaction.  (( meaning she's not trying to take a bite out me, just pulls her foot away ))

We went out this afternoon and she's digging with it, but then when we come up the steps to come in it's obvious she's not putting any weight on it ....

Any ideas, suggestions, comments???

I just had this with Nikko after he was pulling on the bikes.  Looks like the pad had blistered and was an open sore.  Today he is back to his nutty self.  

I talked to my vet about medications and they can have Aspirin.  I also googled stuff to help with a pulled muscle or sprain and it was suggested to put a cold back on the leg or affected area, like a frozen bag of peas.  Massaging can help too.  If she is still limping after a few days I would talk to the vet

I'm going to figure you've covered this already but just in case.. Does it look swollen compared to her other paw? Any redness around the toes/pads? As you mentioned possibly stickers, or an insect bite/sting if she stepped on something. If you suspect it might be a bite or allergic reaction, some benadryl could help.

Other possibilities, maybe neck or back/shoulder pain.. can cause lameness in the legs sometimes.

Hope it's nothing and she feels better soon!

Wonder, if rather than a thorn, cut, or other outwardly physical injury, if it could be a ligament, sore joint, or pulled muscle.

I'm not sure, looks like I may be taking a vet run today.  She's stumbled a couple of times and then this morning when she got up she fell when she put weight on it.

My suspicions were snake bite - but I haven't seen any when we've been out so I've watched for swelling and don't see any.  Last night I poked and prodded from her shoulder down to the pads of her feet and got no reaction - unless "Oh, dad, that's enough!" counts as a reaction.

I've though about some aspirin but she doesn't seem to be in pain and don't use meds unless there's a reason.

just an educated guess here but sounds like it could be a muscular injury of some kind.  The fact that she's using it some times and not others makes me less suspicious of a broken bone but as I'm not a vet its best to take that with a pinch of salt.  Also I'm basing my opionion from what you say  about  it's worse after she's been laying down all night or using it vigorously like when she was digging.  Reminds me of being quite similar to the sprain symptoms that the oh had a while back.  If it was back legs and a gradual build up over time, I'd think maybe arthritis but in the front legs  and with this speed I'd be surprised. 

She's let me pull thorns (cactus spines) before - not impressed but okay with it.  She's been playing some with Avalanche but mostly just telling him to leave her alone.

My local vet is now on vacation for a month so if/when we go to the vet it's up to Alpine (80 miles - argh) Once shes up and around it seems to go away (or she doesn't pay much attention to it?)

Hope its not arthritis setting in - she's only 3ish ... I've got her back on the short leash when we go out now rather than the 100 foot lead - at least she can't get into anything without my seeing it.

I seriously doubt it's arthritis, you'd notice a much more progressive degeneration than this. Still think its muscular tbh, the more you say the more it follows my line if thought. It's worse after periods of inactivity but less so after her bodys had a chance to 'warm up' and become more flexible. Hope she gets well soon Al. Xxx

I should have come back here earlier - she's been limping on it a little bit, but running and climbing down off the back proch aren't the hassle that they were - she was really cautious about going down the step.

She seems to have determined that the doorway between the living room and the kitchen is *her* place, so of course as I come back from refilling the coffee cup I managed to step on her right paw.  Doesn't seem to have bothered her a lot - I get a kick out of her, she makes like she's going to bite but never makes contact when I do something like that.  Of course she got a couple of the forbidden treats and a lot of luv'n - oops, sorry girl!

Al' I know what you mean.

I get followed wherever I go.

I go to the kitchen to get a drink.

and the journey back to the living room is like playing hopscoth with dogs :P

Hope the girly is recovering. :)