nstack1228

Hello everyone some of you may have seen my first thread about huskies and cats due to fact my wife and I were planning on getting a husky just wanted to hear a few stories about huskies with cats because I always read about huskies and their prey drive.

A Little About My Wife and I:

My name is Nick and hers is Amber. We have been married almost a year now (Oct 13) and have 2 cats and 1 dog. Our cats are a 7 year old Calico and a 2 year old Tortie. Our dog is a golden retriever who is 5 months old and almost done with his classes at PetSmart. I am a Nurse and my wife is a Monitor Tech and we both right now work night shifts. We own a house that has a nice front yard that is fenced in to give the husky and our golden some time and space to play. I also plan to go jogging every day with the husky or taking our dogs to a dog park that is 10 minutes away (by car).

The husky that will hopefully soon be in our lives we will be seeing tomorrow. We have scheduled a meet with a breeder for after we are done at work to go meet up with the puppy and bring along our puppy to see how they interact. I am beyond excited for this due to the fact I have always wanted a husky and may now finally have a chance to have one.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome!!!! This is the best site out there and any questions will be answered by those who can with honest experiences of their own. This is a great group of people although not all personalities collide but hey if everyone was the same what would be the fun in life? Glad you found us!!!!

Welcome Nick. Seems like you have been doing your homework. Just be prepared as best you can be. Huskies can be very challenging at times, but if you stay ahead of the curve you should do fine. They are one of the few breeds of dogs that I swear think and analyze. But they also respond to their instinct. Good luck when you visit the breeder. One word of advice, if the pup is not yet eight to nine weeks of age, best to leave it with its mom and siblings. The period between six and eight weeks is when a Husky learns bite inhibition from its mother and siblings, and taking a Husky home too early often leads to biting issues later on.

Edited by Mazz

Glad to see you posting a proper introduction! :) 

As Carrington has said this is the best Husky Owner forum out there, and you'll definitely have no problem finding advice for Husky related issues, as well as non-husky related things. I've been a member here for a little over a year now and I seriously cannot imagine being a part of this site even if I'm not one of the most active members here. This place has helped me prepare for owning my first Husky, and so far it has been an excellent source of knowledge and has helped me in raising her. 

I can't wait to see pictures of your Husky when you're able to post as well as your other dog. :D

Welcome Nick. Seems like you have been doing your homework. Just be prepared as best you can be. Huskies can be very challenging at times, but if you stay ahead of the curve you should do fine. They are one of the few breeds of dogs that I swear think and analyze. But they also respond to their instinct. Good luck when you visit the breeder. One word of advice, if the pup is not yet eight to nine weeks of age, best to leave it with its mom and siblings. The period between six and eight weeks is when a Husky learns bite inhibition from its mother and siblings, and taking a Husky home too early often leads to biting issues later on.

Good news is he is actually a little older than a typical pup at 16 weeks old so we will be taking him home if we love him (which I bet we will). I would never take a dog from its mother unless it was over 8 weeks as like you said I feel they need to spend that time to learn from mother and be with her.

Glad to see you posting a proper introduction! :)

As Carrington has said this is the best Husky Owner forum out there, and you'll definitely have no problem finding advice for Husky related issues, as well as non-husky related things. I've been a member here for a little over a year now and I seriously cannot imagine being a part of this site even if I'm not one of the most active members here. This place has helped me prepare for owning my first Husky, and so far it has been an excellent source of knowledge and has helped me in raising her. 

I can't wait to see pictures of your Husky when you're able to post as well as your other dog. :D

Thank you and I'll feel terrible if I don't put Gambit showing him off because he is a beautiful golden who has a wonderful temperment. Hopefully I strike gold twice with the husky and have 2 amazing dogs

Hello and welcome to Husky Owners! I'm ready to bet that your new husky puppy (owner) will change your world completely! Can't wait for photos of the pup. :P

Yea for sure, our golden has already made us more active because we got pretty complacent with just watching tv due to being night shifters and I know a husky will get me up and moving so I can't wait

Don't forget to take plenty of photos and share them with us!  ^_^

Will do my wife already is saying she wants a video cause she thinks I'll tear up, mind you this is like my dream dog that I thought I would never get to have because I used to live in Florida and now I have cats and figured the 2 wouldn't mix well

Welcome to the only Husky forum you'll ever need :)

As with everyone else looking forward to the pictures of your new furbaby.

Just one point, in your intro you mentioned you want to run with the Husky

Please be aware that you need to wait until the pup is at least a year old before you can start running with him.

Otherwise you could inadvertantly cause damage to the joints.

Welcome to the only Husky forum you'll ever need :)

As with everyone else looking forward to the pictures of your new furbaby.

Just one point, in your intro you mentioned you want to run with the Husky

Please be aware that you need to wait until the pup is at least a year old before you can start running with him.

Otherwise you could inadvertantly cause damage to the joints.

I meant more run when he is older cause I have read that about dogs causing them to stop growing but thank you :) Maybe do long walks with the 2 then ;) Only like an hour and a half left I can barely sit at work I can't contain my excitement. 23 year old man looking like a 5 year old on Christmas is about to happen

Then you are lucky to have 2 xmas's in one year.

All I can say is enjoy this one last moment of peace. . . . 

Your world is about to be turned upside down.

Husky puppies. . . . OH LORDY !!!

Let the fun commence :)

I meant more run when he is older cause I have read that about dogs causing them to stop growing but thank you :) Maybe do long walks with the 2 then ;) Only like an hour and a half left I can barely sit at work I can't contain my excitement. 23 year old man looking like a 5 year old on Christmas is about to happen

Welcome to the forum can't wait to see pictures :D the general rule I believe is a 5 min walk per month of age.... I could be wrong though. My 9 month old pup walks me for 40-45 mins twice a day.