nstack1228

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally settled down and want everyone to know WE NOW HAVE A PUPPY!!!!

Diego is 13 weeks old, 22 lbs, black/white husky with brown eyes. He has a very, very shy temperment and we think it has to do with his breeder and issues I have with them. Now today was probably the most stressful/emotional day and I'll now explain why.

If you have read this thread my wife and I work overnight and last night we worked 7p-7a with plans to meet up with a breeder at a dog park to see our new puppy. First we wanted to go home and get our 5 month old golden retriever named Gambit. When we got home there was a lot of diarrhea and throw up all around and we found that somehow he had gotten these metabolism/workout performance pills. We let him outside and he was very hype and we were trying to clean up the best we could before having to go meet the lady. We called our vet and they gave us many numbers for poison control and idk why but it seems like we kept getting redirected to other places. We meet up with the breeder at the dog park and the dogs were introduced, at this time Gambit was acting like himself and looking great. As we got into the car I noticed a petroleum jelly looking saliva drooling from Gambit as he was sitting in the back seat, he looked calm and was alert but just didn't seem himself. We kept calling numbers finally getting ahold of poison control who wanted us to take Gambit to the vet ASAP due to the caffeine that these pills have in them. We already had an appointment for the new pup and quickly got the vet, where they took him and hooked him up to fluids and a catheter to pull all the caffeine from his system. We just talked to them around 7:30pm that his heart rate was normal but they just wanted to watch him overnight so things are definately looking up, was a very emotional day seeing as we got a puppy but the other, things could have went wrong real quick with.

Now to the breeder of our new adorable husky, Diego. I did not know this because my wife spoke with her but she was living in a trailer at the time, not saying that living in a trailer is bad but you could tell that the husky was quite dirty and needed a bath ASAP. When we took him to the vet we found mud balls all throughout his hair (no ticks, thank god) and I did notice he winced if touched on his right shoulder. The vet looked into it and noticed some swelling in the soft tissue so we have him on antibiotics due to that and a slight fever. My issue with the lady was she was talking about how when you pick him up he cries because he is a crybaby but after finding out about his injury, of course he is crying he has an injury right where you are grabbing. We got Diego home gave him a nice bath and now his coat is soft, fluffy and so clean it looks amazing. He was very shy at first, still is very submissive, and I believe it could be due to somewhat his nature but also the fact that he is slightly hurt. He has definately warmed up to us over the night and looks like such a happy puppy playing games with us and just loving to be right by our side. I feel as though we saved him from rough living conditions and can't wait to give him a great home at our place and turn his life around.

I know I should've researchd the breeder more and all but I am very happy with the puppy, just not how he was treated/raised, and know I got my work cut out for me with training. Love the little guy so much already and can't wait to have Gambit back tomorrow so they can play with each other.

I am going to make a thread with pictures of my whole pack and I'll post the link to it here :)

Thank you and I'll feel terrible if I don't put Gambit showing him off because he is a beautiful golden who has a wonderful temperment. Hopefully I strike gold twice with the husky and have 2 amazing dogs

You're welcome! :) And I'm sure you will, Huskies are amazing dogs, and I'm sure your new pup will fit right in with your Golden once things settle down after a few days of having it home. :D

Poor gambit I hope he's ok now ?

Tbh a lot ov huskies come to their new homes dirty it's part of being a puppy getting messy n now it's getting wetter they get dirtier , tho it does seem weird that they didn't meet u at their home ,, the muscle damage might not have been picked up on if he did it playing ,my boy a week after we got him did the same playing with my staffy

Hope he's ok tho

Poor gambit I hope he's ok now ?

Tbh a lot ov huskies come to their new homes dirty it's part of being a puppy getting messy n now it's getting wetter they get dirtier , tho it does seem weird that they didn't meet u at their home ,, the muscle damage might not have been picked up on if he did it playing ,my boy a week after we got him did the same playing with my staffy

Hope he's ok tho

Gambit came home early in the morning and they played all day, Diego's shoulder still a bit swollen but it doens't slow him down and no limp or anything :)

Gambit came home early in the morning and they played all day, Diego's shoulder still a bit swollen but it doens't slow him down and no limp or anything :)that's good :-) I'm glad they're both ok , yeah when blaze hurt his leg it didn't stop him either n he's had no lasting damage or problems from it :-)

that's good :-) I'm glad they're both ok , yeah when blaze hurt his leg it didn't stop him either n he's had no lasting damage or problems from it :-)

We gave him some antibiotics and he know has no swelling and doesnt have any tenderness when you pet there, now he just has his older brother bullying him around :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick and welcome to the pack :)

You wanted stories of huskies and cats - my story doesn't end well.

Bella my cat was 10, she was always putting the boys in their place, just over a week ago she was chased down and her heart gave out and she died at home with me.  I don't know if the dogs got her - i couldn't see any blood, 2 of my boys were brought up from pups around her but still chased her every so often, Koda, who we re-homed 2 years ago took more of a shine to her than we liked so we were always careful when they were in the same room.

You're always on edge when you have huskies and cat(s) i found, it was hard work and ultimately, looking back, I should have rehomed her for her own safety.  After watching her die because i made the wrong choice, i will always now recommend keeping huskies and cats totally separate because holding them when they take their last breath is the most painful thing you will experience and the guilt will never leave you :(  I should have either a) not got huskies at all, or B) rehomed Bella when we took on a 3rd dog 

• 6 months later...

Right now our husky is now 10 months old and at times gives some attention to one of our cats but he listens once we say no or anything. Whenever we aren't around him or not home the cat is locked in a room that he cannot get into so we make sure to always have eyes on both of them when they are out and about.