Becoming The Alpha

nstack1228

I'm really sorry about all the threads I'm just very excited at work about my husky (6 more hours) and can't wait to see him.

A big thing to me is knowing that Huskies are pack animals and there is always the alpha. I understand the concept and the whole, you eat then they eat, you walk out of door first, and to always be consistent. Does anyone have any tricks that aren't in basic readings about how you established your and your family being higher on pecking order than the husky?

Again sorry about clumping up the forums with all the threads being such a new member :/ promise to help others who are in need as I am now :)

You clump up the forums as much as you like  :P

Its a really good question you ask and here is my take ...............

There can only be one alpha in this house its me and there is also a pecking order here is ours 

Alpha me

next is my wife Sue

Then my bitch Sakia

Then Wolf my boy

Advantages and disadvantages

As Alpha the dogs do as they're told most time and very rarely step outta line but they are a little  too submissive for my liking :(

As for Sue I think she as it best, they do push there luck with her sometimes begging and the likes but she is the 1st one they go to for petting and cuddles :)

As for Sakia she just bosses Wolf around because hes a softy  :rofl:

I don't think it's about being the alpha rather just getting them to respect you , mine walk out the door first and eat before I do , they are allowed on the sofas n beds too , but they listen and respect me because whilst they get to do all that I don't let them get away with being naughty , if they growl at me for being near them with a treat I take it off them , I wait , make them give me a paw or something and then give it back , if they are getting to hyper they are removed from the situation , it's about finding a balance

As long as the dogs are at the bottom of the pack you should be ok. My two are still young so we're a work in progress but apart from the obvious ( eating doorways etc) it's silly things for us, like not snatching food but waiting nicely until it's offered. Not jumping on the sofa until your asked up, you'll figure out most of it as you go along. 

You clump up the forums as much as you like  :P

Its a really good question you ask and here is my take ...............

There can only be one alpha in this house its me and there is also a pecking order here is ours 

Alpha me

next is my wife Sue

Then my bitch Sakia

Then Wolf my boy

Advantages and disadvantages

As Alpha the dogs do as they're told most time and very rarely step outta line but they are a little  too submissive for my liking :(

As for Sue I think she as it best, they do push there luck with her sometimes begging and the likes but she is the 1st one they go to for petting and cuddles :)

As for Sakia she just bosses Wolf around because hes a softy  :rofl:

I know my wife will definately get weak at times so I think I could see this being our order

I've followed the advise on here with the nothing for free rule. So treats, food ect are to be earned. Elka must sit and wait for her food or do a trick or wait for a treat. A good alpha is also nurturing and protective so lots of cuddles and positive reinforcement :)

I don't think it's about being the alpha rather just getting them to respect you , mine walk out the door first and eat before I do , they are allowed on the sofas n beds too , but they listen and respect me because whilst they get to do all that I don't let them get away with being naughty , if they growl at me for being near them with a treat I take it off them , I wait , make them give me a paw or something and then give it back , if they are getting to hyper they are removed from the situation , it's about finding a balance

I do like this cause part of me would love to have my soon to be husky curled up along side me so I figured some of the "rules" (not allowed on couch/bed) would be bypassed and I agree with the whole, earning respect. My golden retriever knows that I am the authority in the house so when he does something naughty he usually tries his best to hide behind mommy.

As long as the dogs are at the bottom of the pack you should be ok. My two are still young so we're a work in progress but apart from the obvious ( eating doorways etc) it's silly things for us, like not snatching food but waiting nicely until it's offered. Not jumping on the sofa until your asked up, you'll figure out most of it as you go along. 

Again like the above poster said it seems like as they learn to respect you they respect your rules

I've followed the advise on here with the nothing for free rule. So treats, food ect are to be earned. Elka must sit and wait for her food or do a trick or wait for a treat. A good alpha is also nurturing and protective so lots of cuddles and positive reinforcement :)

Thank you I like this insight a lot

We rescued Harry just over a month ago, he is 16 months approx. As we don't know of his back ground and not had him since a pup it's been a bit tricky establishing a routine and 'alpha' scenario with him.

We made the mistake of pretty much letting him do as he liked, which was a big mistake! I am now having to 'retrain' him not to get on the sofa, not get on the beds, not to pull me whilst he's on his lead.

We are getting there ever so slowly, I find I just have to be consistent with him, praise him when he does something good and remove him from a situation when he's being naughty. He loves a cuddle, so now I sit on the floor with him for these rather than him getting on the sofa. I don't ban him from the bedrooms but don't encourage him to come in. As for his walks, when we first go out he is always hyper, so for the moment I ignore his pulling, well for the first 5 minutes. After then I call 'hey' at him and tug on his lead. He doesn't always respond and when he gets really bad I stop, wait for him to calm down and then continue. When he's walking and dragging me along I praise him.

I think it also helps I've stopped worrying about him settling in and I've become more confidant. I won't be a push over, even if I want to be :)

IMHO "alpha dog" theory is only taught to people so that they don't spoil them... it's also a good way to remind people that dogs are dogs and shall never be humanized. When I first had Dime this was the first theory about dog training that I read. I immediately used it as the base of all my training methods but then I start to realize that it has no real effect. Walking through the gate before Dime doesn't make him stop pulling. Eating before feeding Dime also doesn't make him listen to me more, much less avoiding direct eye contact with him.

As long as you can create rules and boundaries and stick to it, you're good to go.  Just give your dog rewards when he did good and corrections when he did wrong. Don't forget to study about doggy body language and read both his and other dogs'. There really is no trick to dog training IMO just be patient and firm

IMHO "alpha dog" theory is only taught to people so that they don't spoil them... it's also a good way to remind people that dogs are dogs and shall never be humanized. When I first had Dime this was the first theory about dog training that I read. I immediately used it as the base of all my training methods but then I start to realize that it has no real effect. Walking through the gate before Dime doesn't make him stop pulling. Eating before feeding Dime also doesn't make him listen to me more, much less avoiding direct eye contact with him.

As long as you can create rules and boundaries and stick to it, you're good to go.  Just give your dog rewards when he did good and corrections when he did wrong. Don't forget to study about doggy body language and read both his and other dogs'. There really is no trick to dog training IMO just be patient and firm

Thank you and I'm usually good at reading the body language of dogs

We rescued Harry just over a month ago, he is 16 months approx. As we don't know of his back ground and not had him since a pup it's been a bit tricky establishing a routine and 'alpha' scenario with him.

We made the mistake of pretty much letting him do as he liked, which was a big mistake! I am now having to 'retrain' him not to get on the sofa, not get on the beds, not to pull me whilst he's on his lead.

We are getting there ever so slowly, I find I just have to be consistent with him, praise him when he does something good and remove him from a situation when he's being naughty. He loves a cuddle, so now I sit on the floor with him for these rather than him getting on the sofa. I don't ban him from the bedrooms but don't encourage him to come in. As for his walks, when we first go out he is always hyper, so for the moment I ignore his pulling, well for the first 5 minutes. After then I call 'hey' at him and tug on his lead. He doesn't always respond and when he gets really bad I stop, wait for him to calm down and then continue. When he's walking and dragging me along I praise him.

I think it also helps I've stopped worrying about him settling in and I've become more confidant. I won't be a push over, even if I want to be :)

Slow and steady is the best way :P

I don't buy into the whole being the alpha thing to be honest. In a human pack I rarely see anything alpha or order-related things other than amongst the dogs themselves. It's more about the dog respecting you then you being dominant over the dog. My dogs are allowed on the couch, AS LONG as they go off it when requested by us. The whole 'walk through the door first' and not allowing a dog to walk in front of you makes no sense to me as well because sled dogs run in front of the sled yet still respond just fine to the musher.

The most important bit about training a husky is probably to set the rules as clear as possible, stick to it no matter what and be consistent (and patience!).

I'm not really big on the whole "alpha" order. I expect my dogs to do something when i ask them to do it but for the most part they roam free. They do know when I'm being serious about something and know immediately when they've done something naughty. But at the end of the day, they cuddle me, lick me, and love me and that's all i really want from them. :)

My dog is a dominant one. I find, if we reach a compromise, things will turn out okay.

Example: On walks, he wants to pee on everything he sees, and pulls to get to trees/poles/etc. But I keep him on a short leash. This causes him to pull more out of frustration.

Compromise: He is given 'free time' areas in which he is given the full length of the leash, to do whatever he wants. It is only to a certain point, then he goes back on the leash. He knows this and respects this. Whenever he's not given his free time (I forget or whatever), I noticed he's more pushy than usual. But that may be him.

Personally, I find the whole 'eat before your dog' and 'walk in before your dog' to be a load of rubbish. Your dog can do those things, but as long as it isn't forceful in doing what it wants (ie: pushing you aside so it can go in first, etc), than it should be okay. Atleast, this is what I know from my experience. 

Your dog has to respect you. Ensure rules are consistent and that punishment (please not physical!!!) for breaking them is consistent (example: 'time outs').