Zoey Is Now A Therapy Dog!!

zoey

Zoey passed her therapy dog testing last night. She is now a therapy dog in our area. She is now on "probation" and will be under surveillance for her first few visits. 

The only thing we need to work on with her is jumping when excited. I dont know how to train her not to jump. I control her with the lesh, but that doesnt really train her to not jump.

7D03A5D0-DB68-4760-9A8C-D9D3A7A98441-555

Hidden

The best way is to have her sit before she gets any kind of attention. And make sure strangers follow this too. I had a dog that would go sliding into petsmart on her butt like she'd hit home base at a baseball game after enough times of only being giving affection while sitting.

Another way of teaching the sit command is to use a visual cue similar to this one:

stock-photo-20235519-happy-young-woman-w

When people (especially kids) are nervous or afraid, their natural reaction is to bring their hands up like this. So when your dog see this "command", rather than jumping up to them, they are much more likely to sit.

hey good news :D :D congrats, Zoey! With the jumping, I also use leash corrections :)

we do leash corrections now, but it doesnt seem to get the message across. she still wants to hug people.

The best way is to have her sit before she gets any kind of attention. And make sure strangers follow this too. I had a dog that would go sliding into petsmart on her butt like she'd hit home base at a baseball game after enough times of only being giving affection while sitting.

Another way of teaching the sit command is to use a visual cue similar to this one:

stock-photo-20235519-happy-young-woman-w

When people (especially kids) are nervous or afraid, their natural reaction is to bring their hands up like this. So when your dog see this "command", rather than jumping up to them, they are much more likely to sit.

that is an interesting tactic. We currently use this visual cue for making her sit:

IMG_4623_2-200x300.jpg

it might be tough to untrain that. 

We have been working with having her sit for basically everything she wants or needs to do. So if she wants outside, she sits. she needs in the car, she sits. she needs to go into a building she sits. etc etc.