Puppy Aggression Towards Older Dog Help

Sora

Hey 

So we already have a 1.5 year old husky female, and we just got a 15 week old male. and So far things are going pretty good between the 2 of them(its only been 3 days), the female is learning to play a little gentler. But i have a couple of things I want know how best to handle the situation. 
the 15 week old male growls and snaps at our female whenever hes eating, or if hes in his crate, he goes to her crate, steals all her toys and guards them in his crate. Hes very defensive of his crate when it comes to her. if she goes anywhere near his crate he comes charging at her. 

She is very calm and understanding of his behavior, she just lets him take her toys and most of the time she brings her toys to him to play. 

I just don't know if I should let him continue this behavior or if I should reprimand and tell him no. 

I've never had 2 dogs at the same time so Im pretty new to this. :) thanks for the advice! 

I believe that, up until a certain age, puppies have a 'license' to do things to the adult dogs that they wouldn't normally get away with if they were older. She allows him to take his toys because she is putting up with his behaviour - much like how you would put up with a kid's antics because he's just a little kid and he doesn't know any better. It's the same thing here.

I don't have any advice to give, but when he reaches his teenager years (6+ months), you'll see that his puppy license has 'run out' and she will assert her authority over him.

Elyse took the words right out of my mouth - yep, he's exercising his "puppy license" when he pushes it too far she'll let him know.  Be forewarned, when she does, it'll probably sound like a fight - he won't really know what's going on when she "puts her paw down" ( just like a spoiled kid ).  It'll last until he realizes that it's time to straighten up and be a dog not a puppy.  Watch for blood, as long as there's no blood,it's just her telling him to "behave" - he's the one who will probably draw blood (if there is any) then you might want to intervene.

I wouldn't let him be possessive if u can stop him it could get worse as he gets older

Thanks I was thinking the same thing I don't want him to be possessive when he's older cuz I'll have a toddler in the house.

And thanks everyone else about the "puppy period"

So far we've been letting them be and ' sort it out' on their own. We've only stepped in when we can tell the puppy is exhausted and wants some time alone.

I appreciate the advice :)

Lol we have the opposite, my boys a year today (yay) and our girls nearly 16 weeks,  she steals his toys as well, sits in his crate and constantly bugs him, most of the time he just takes it, but occasionally he will literally flop on her and pin her down , as she's getting a little older and bigger he's telling her off a bit more,  ( the only blood drawn has been his !)  It's nice to see the relationship between them levelling out tbh.  

Here's a good article on puppy license - Googling for "Puppy License" is a pain since you get all the regulations on licensing, etc along with all the good stuff about "cute little puppies".  I just skimmed it at first and then went back to re-read portions of it.  This is an excellent article (after you get past the first paragraph or two).

Hahha nice Sarah! My girl does the exact same thing pins him and then he cries. He bites her lip or paws hard sometimes! I caught them sleeping together outside yesterday tho and it just melted my heart!

And thanks so much Al I'll definitely read it when my little one takes a nap! :)

You guys are great!