Remind Me I'm Not Ready!

Chula

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear...

If you're not ready for another dog, or otherwise can't afford another at the moment, I would stop looking at pictures or at rescue sites. You're only hurting yourself - I've learnt this the hard way. :(

Hey I did that constantly before I got Link :P I was always looking at huskies wishing I could adopt another. And then somehow I was just able to adopt Link, since then I haven't felt the temptation to go on there since I /know/ I can't handle 4. It may be a sign.. :P

I am at that stage, the boys will be 4 on the 15th dec, so I feel its a good age to add another, I also feel like something is missing in my life. But I know the two boys can be hard to walk sometimes. Mostly they are fine, and I can manage two, but I don't know about 3, even though I think another would be valuable. Kaiden needs a play mate for inside, and parker for outside...(don't ask) but then I remind myself, its not a couple of years thing, its possible 13+, and then there is the has to be a puppy, because of the cat...

I think if you are having doubts don't, but if you are making excuses go for it.

what do you mean by "not ready"? is it the size of your house? the amount of hours you work? or is it simply because you don't feel you're experienced enough? If it's the latter one, I'm gonna go crazy and irrational and say HEY! there's always a first time! :P who wouldn't want a squishy little ball of fur anyways :P plus huskies generally do better in a pack. I can tell Diamond is super bored being an only dog but due to my plan to study abroad I need to wait at least 2 more years for another dog :( 

I am at that stage, the boys will be 4 on the 15th dec, so I feel its a good age to add another, I also feel like something is missing in my life. But I know the two boys can be hard to walk sometimes. Mostly they are fine, and I can manage two, but I don't know about 3, even though I think another would be valuable. Kaiden needs a play mate for inside, and parker for outside...(don't ask) but then I remind myself, its not a couple of years thing, its possible 13+, and then there is the has to be a puppy, because of the cat...

I think if you are having doubts don't, but if you are making excuses go for it.

What beautiful children you have!! the Boys are VERY handsome!!

Ciao,,,Roberto

With Nikko I went through about a month of hell.  It was awful!  He was sooo desctructive, I couldn't get him to stop peeing inside, He would cry and whine in his crate, I seriously though I made the biggest mistake of my life!  We even talked about rehoming him, as I was not getting any sleep and it was non stop!  I couldn't clean, cook, watch TV. 

Then I must have had amnesia because 6 months later I get Yukon :wacko:

Editors Note:

1. I do not want you to feel and I am sorry if you felt that your frustration and pain were insignificant for that month of hell! see post # 25.

2. I constantly bitched and complained that first year and ALMOST gave up and seriously thought about giving  Capo to Two different Siberian rescues. His groomer convinced me to keep him. She had Siberians before and said, "Don't give up, this too shall pass and it will be so, so worth it because Siberians are a special Breed" They are a  "A Breed above the rest"!

She was RIGHT!! He is almost 3 now and I am sooo Glad I kept him. The only remaining issue is his Genetic Eye Disease,which I take "One day at a Time"

"Pain is the Touchstone to ALL Spiritual Growth!!!!

Ciao,,,,Roberto

Nope, not at all.  Once I came on here and learned more information, and found that I was not alone, and not only that, but other people went through much worse than I did.  Emily, for example had to take Chula to the emergency vet because she ate something and thank goodness she pulled through and she is fine today, but it was a scary and expensive experience.  Luckily, I never had anything like that happen, and I am thankful.  

Editors Note:

1. I do not want you to feel and I am sorry if you felt that your frustration and pain were insignificant for that month of hell! see post # 25.

2. I constantly bitched and complained that first year and ALMOST gave up and seriously thought about giving  Capo to Two different Siberian rescues. His groomer convinced me to keep him. She had Siberians before and said, "Don't give up, this too shall pass and it will be so, so worth it because Siberians are a special Breed" They are a  "A Breed above the rest"!

She was RIGHT!! He is almost 3 now and I am sooo Glad I kept him. The only remaining issue is his Genetic Eye Disease,which I take "One day at a Time"

"Pain is the Touchstone to ALL Spiritual Growth!!!!

Ciao,,,,Roberto

Yeah we dropped $2500 on surgery when she was 15 weeks old because she ate paper towels and it twisted up her intestines. Got insurance now but that was a really tough time for us. Luckily we had the resources to pay for surgery, I imagine others would have had to put their puppy to sleep.

Well the puppy is already spoken for. Can't say I'm surprised as he is adorable. When the time is right and the stars align, Chula will get a playmate. :) She might not love sharing our attention though!

Looks like the choice has been taken out of your hands this time but I'm thinking that honestly only you will know if you're ready or not for the pros and cons to being part of a multiple dog household. If you're truly uncertain then I'm guessing the answer right now is probably a no.  Of course you can ask us but hey!  You know we're gonna say do it!!!   Good luck in whatever you decide works best for you in the future. xx   :)

Yeah we dropped $2500 on surgery when she was 15 weeks old because she ate paper towels and it twisted up her intestines. Got insurance now but that was a really tough time for us. Luckily we had the resources to pay for surgery, I imagine others would have had to put their puppy to sleep.

Well the puppy is already spoken for. Can't say I'm surprised as he is adorable. When the time is right and the stars align, Chula will get a playmate. :) She might not love sharing our attention though!

Glad your Dog is ok and you had the money to save her.Like you said, a lot of people would have had to put the poor dog down. I also have pet insurance,,,I am not covered for his "Genetic Eye disease". I missed being covered by 5 hour!!! I try not to think about that anymore! 14 day waiting period for genetic diseases,saw vet for annual check up on the 14th day without ever considering that Capo had an eye problem!

Your story reminds me[see my post #25!!] of my neighbors Choc. Lab who TWICE had emergency surgery to remove a "Corn Cob" and half of a "Nylabone" that he ate! In addition, Two surgeries on his knees/ligaments!

Ciao,,,Roberto