Is It True That A Harness Is Not Good To Use For A Husky To Trainn Them?

BayleighsMom

Hi! I am real newbie so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions.  LOL  Just want to get Husky experts' inputs, is it true that a harness on a husky  is not a good if I want to train her? My neighbor who also owns a Husky said I should use the collar type. Is that true at all?  Thanks.

A lot depends on what you do with your Husky.

Some folks like to train the dog so that, If the dog is leashed on a collar it's a nice walk

However if the dog is leashed on a harness the dog knows it can pull, and the dog learns the difference.

If you are only ever going to walk your Husky then teach loose leash walking on a collar

(lots of good videos on You Tube)

If you're going to run or bike or scooter with your dog then Still train loose leash for walking

But only use a harness for the high energy exercise.

We use collars and leads when walking them in their day to day walk, but when we use the walking belt, they go on harnesses, because Monster Pup is like a freight train when around other dogs!!!

Monster Pup has learnt to walk differently depending on what lead we use and whether he's in harness or collar.

When on collar and street lead, he walks to heel. When on collar and Flexi lead, he knows that he can wander a bit, and when he's in harness and belt, he knows he has to walk in front. It took a while to train him like this, but well worth the work to be honest. If you are wanting to use a scooter, you have to use a harness, otherwise you risk severe injuries to the neck and back, as all the pulling should be done from the shoulders, not the neck.

Edited by RJS

what kind of training are you talking about? no dog should be run with a collar on, but I prefer collars when it comes to loose leash training. It's just that I'm so used to giving correction tugs, and I don't see how correction tugs work on a harness. Those tugs made Diamond one of the most well-behaved dogs in the neighborhood.

what kind of training are you talking about? no dog should be run with a collar on, but I prefer collars when it comes to loose leash training. It's just that I'm so used to giving correction tugs, and I don't see how correction tugs work on a harness. Those tugs made Diamond one of the most well-behaved dogs in the neighborhood.

Thanks for your response. Well, for now I am referring to just  taking her for regular daily walks, I just cant seem to control her sometimes, pulls a lot and I have petite built (Like 120 lbs ) and just imagine when she pulls, many times I almost got thrown over . LOL  After our walk I feel exhasuted.  Also when when we meet people, she would get so excited and jump at them as she wants to play.with them.

Hi! Thanks for your response.  I am referring to simple daily walks. She pulls to much that sometimes I almost got thrown over. So I should let her use the collar, instead of the harness for now. 

A lot depends on what you do with your Husky.

Some folks like to train the dog so that, If the dog is leashed on a collar it's a nice walk

However if the dog is leashed on a harness the dog knows it can pull, and the dog learns the difference.

If you are only ever going to walk your Husky then teach loose leash walking on a collar

(lots of good videos on You Tube)

If you're going to run or bike or scooter with your dog then Still train loose leash for walking

But only use a harness for the high energy exercise.

Thanks,  That figures, she pulls too much with the harness. I just the thought the harness would have a better control, didn't realize that the collar would actually have a better control. Thanks for the you tube advise. ;-)

Monster Pup has learnt to walk differently depending on what lead we use and whether he's in harness or collar.

When on collar and street lead, he walks to heel. When on collar and Flexi lead, he knows that he can wander a bit, and when he's in harness and belt, he knows he has to walk in front. It took a while to train him like this, but well worth the work to be honest. If you are wanting to use a scooter, you have to use a harness, otherwise you risk severe injuries to the neck and back, as all the pulling should be done from the shoulders, not the neck.

Thanks. Flexi lead??  Pardon my ignorance but what is that?  ;-)

Thanks. Flexi lead??  Pardon my ignorance but what is that?  ;-)

It's a retractable leash, I don't recommend it unless you get the ones with the tape rather  than the cord because its stronger. I only use this for mine for potty breaks since I live in an apartment and don't have a yard.

I would try a non pull harness such as the 'walk your dog with love' harness , it attaches at the front so gives more control n helps train to walk nicely , I'd be lost without my one for my boy

I second this! Mine /can/ walk nicely in collars, and I love that they can, but the WYDWL gives me so much peace of mind if they bolt when they see a squirrel they won't be jolted around by their necks.

It's a retractable leash, I don't recommend it unless you get the ones with the tape rather than the cord because its stronger. I only use this for mine for potty breaks since I live in an apartment and don't have a yard.

I would try a non pull harness such as the 'walk your dog with love' harness , it attaches at the front so gives more control n helps train to walk nicely , I'd be lost without my one for my boy

I second this! Mine /can/ walk nicely in collars, and I love that they can, but the WYDWL gives me so much peace of mind if they bolt when they see a squirrel they won't be jolted around by their necks.

We have the tape version. It's made for seatbelt material, so can hold Kodi's weight.

One thing to try, which is what I have done to both our Pups...

When walking, if they start pulling too much, stop. Stay stopped until they sit. When they finally sit, praise then and carry on... Keep repeating this.

Basically what your teaching then is when they pull, the walk stops and doesn't continue until they have relaxed.

One thing to try, which is what I have done to both our Pups...

When walking, if they start pulling too much, stop. Stay stopped until they sit. When they finally sit, praise then and carry on... Keep repeating this.

Basically what your teaching then is when they pull, the walk stops and doesn't continue until they have relaxed.

Great idea!  I will try this. Thanks!

You can buy a gentle lead collar to help your dog with walking. It's about 26 dollars at petsmart but worth every dollar. It comes with a DVD that talks about how it works.

It goes around the top of the head and basically gets them into a different state of mind. If they do begin to pull they stop immediately. It's really good for training heel, and walking next to you. I also taught mine not to sniff the ground while on my walks since I got this collar.

& Yep. I use a regular harness for runs only and leash+collar for leisurely walks.

I hardly ever use a regular collar and leash now since I got the gentle lead collar. Jelly's behavior on a regular collar compared to gentle lead is completely different. Still good on normal collar but extremely good on gentle lead :D

It's worth the investment :D