Bullies!

mydiamond

It still amazes me how immature senior high-schoolers can be. They're seventeen!! Some are older! They can't even respect others?? I have a classmate that was raised in an international school. Since her childhood environment is 100% English, she soon grew up speaking more English than Indonesian. Even if she understands Indonesian completely she speaks with a clear, distinct American accent. And you bet, everyone's making fun of her. There is no day without a bunch of immature idiots teasing her for various things. Plus since she doesn't speak our local language they often use that language barrier to say bad things and call her names right in front of her face. Some speaks to her in broken English just to be funny in front of the others. Even worse, some others pretend to be in love with her and makes jokes about wanting to go out with her. 

Now I'm not really close to this girl, but it annoys me a whole lot. As another person that speaks English fluently and often teased because of that too, I can relate. I hate it when people just read random English words they find on ketchup packets or something and yell at me asking what does it mean. I hate it even more when people come up to me out of the blue and just speak in broken English to be funny. What's so wrong with speaking English?? 

I spoke to this girl this afternoon. We were just sitting down at the courtyard chatting, and then this bunch of immature boys walk past and sat nearby to listen to us. One came up trying to join the convo, and although I believe he only intends to improve his English the others are laughing and pointing and it just doesn't make me feel comfortable. There's even another one that yells at his friend, asking "hey! Wanna get some American atmosphere?". 

I finally had it. I told them that English is just a language. It's not any different than Indonesian, Javanese or any other languages on Planet Earth. I understand that they are just amazed at our ability to speak English so fluently but the way they're laughing and pointing is just plain rude. And what kind of response do I get? A laugh. Right. Why did I even bother. *sigh* 

Rant over :) xxx

and in 10 years when they get passed over for a promotion because they can't speak fluent English.

You can laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Because you will be thier manager on the BIG BUCKS

and in 10 years when they get passed over for a promotion because they can't speak fluent English.

You can laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Because you will be thier manager on the BIG BUCKS

:rofl: that made my day. Thank you! it just annoys me how little respect they have for us :( 

Oh dear, schools are not the most friendliest of places.  It doesn't really matter what you do, people like that will always find something to tease you about if that's what they want to do.  Personally, I can't work out why being bi-lingual is something funny.  Loads of people here speak more than one language, it's just something that's becoming more common place.  Very strange teenagers indeed.  :confused:

I'd be betting that it's a combination of plain jealousy - that you speak English so much better than they do (or probably ever will) and a "man vs woman" thing.  They don't know how to say that they like that you speak it well - since that would make them look inferior.  It's just a part of "growing up" learning how to react when things bother us - they have their ways (they react badly, not knowing any better) and you ( excuse me please ) are reacting just as badly by letting their foolishness bother you.

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys ...

fixed the quote ... and see this Wiki Page if you need an explanation ...

They're just being teenagers. And, they're probably jealous of other people that can speak english so well. This may result in insecurity or feeling inferior, which teenagers (mostly males) try to hide by making fun of it, laughing it off, being mean to others, etc. 

And I second on what Andy said. It's very true, especially over here: if you don't speak fluent english, you are very lucky to get a job...let alone get a promotion. And that job might be low-pay position in a high work environment (example: picking fruit on a farm)

I'm actually at a loss! Why is being bilingual a bad thing?

Although I'm not sure if it's the same in Malaysia, but when I was at school there was a few kids who didn't use English as their first language, usually their families had moved over here a few years before so they were always 'the new kid', and if they ever spoke using their home language, they got scolded for it by teachers.

I was always so impressed I could listen for hours, I never understood why another language was such a threat to them!

Although, growing up as a half-Scottish ginger kid with braces, I know kids will pick on ANYTHING different, so I don't know why I'm so surprised!

- Caity

Kids are horrible mostly, it's a fact.  If it wasn't this it would be something else, glasses, braces, fat, thin, there's always something, my girl went through it as well.  The best thing to remember is it's only a few months and you won't have to see them ever again.

As has been said in 10 years you will barely remember their names,  next time they start, think of what your life holds in store for you, and what their life holds for them ?.  

Picture this.........   thinning, receeding hairline, double chin, ugly baby poop yellow shirt,  purple flowered tie, pot belly, nasty polyester trousers, and pocket protectors ! 

That's their future, now don't you feel sorry for them ?