Foreign Call Centres

Storm Angel n Auroras Mum

Now let me start, I am not racist in any way shape or form. 

BUT I have huge difficulties understanding foreign people when they speak especially on the phone.

So when I need to call a company its really annoying that theres a foreign person at the end of the phone! I had to ring 3 times before I got a person I could understand! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe, as a person who did exactly that, the feeling of understanding the person on the other side is kind of mutual :lol: Usually I'm trying to be super friendly and the call goes well, I even have gotten (<- is there such a verb?) so far that one of the hotels that we were supporting had that lady that knew me and was always looking for me when she needed the support line :doglaugh:

However, I've also had cases where I don't understand A WORD .. well, 2 words. Once I was talking to that guy who had a problem with his printer, out of his 45 seconds long monologue, the only word I understood was "printer". I then forwarded him to one of my colleagues in the UK :eek:

LOL it's the accent right? :lol: I still find it hard to control myself when I hear an Indian speaking English :P no offense it just sounds.... unique! 

yes but it comes out so garbled you cant understand it and on the phone its made worse!

Seems that most call centers are based in India, and I know I have a hard time understanding people when I call companies that outsource their customer service or tech support.  I think a lot of people in the US have issues with talking to people overseas.  The internet company I worked for outsourced our tech support, but kept them in the same state, and our customers would comment all the time that they are glad we have "English Speaking" tech support.  I think part of it may be because they prefer it when companies keep jobs in the country instead of outsourcing

In my current job, one of our former clients had most of their staff in India, and it was very difficult to understand them, and most of them would be pretty rude if you were not able to understand what they were saying.

Seems that most call centers are based in India, and I know I have a hard time understanding people when I call companies that outsource their customer service or tech support.  I think a lot of people in the US have issues with talking to people overseas.  The internet company I worked for outsourced our tech support, but kept them in the same state, and our customers would comment all the time that they are glad we have "English Speaking" tech support.  I think part of it may be because they prefer it when companies keep jobs in the country instead of outsourcing

In my current job, one of our former clients had most of their staff in India, and it was very difficult to understand them, and most of them would be pretty rude if you were not able to understand what they were saying.

thats what i dont get the rudeness! its not your fault you cant understand them!

i ended up putting the phone down

I recently bought a piece of software and was having a bit of a problem with it so I made "the call" dreading what accent I was going to find.

Well, the party on the other end had an accent so thick I could not have cut it with a cleaver, much less a knife. After several minutes of "I'm sorry, I can't understand you" he transferred me to their US office - that was a big help.  Even though the fellow there still had a bit of an accent, he'd been in the country long enough to have worked out the worst of it.  Oh, that first bloke - the one I couldn't understand at all - he was in Nottinghamshire ....

And yes, I absolutely hate trying to talk to someone who speaks English but you find you can't understand each other at all.  Paks are the worst, followed by the Indians ....

However, I've also had cases where I don't understand A WORD .. well, 2 words. Once I was talking to that guy who had a problem with his printer, out of his 45 seconds long monologue, the only word I understood was "printer". I then forwarded him to one of my colleagues in the UK :eek:

Did you had Dunc on the phone?  :rofl:

Admits I have trouble with nearly all accents on the phone.. even , and no offence meant.. the Scottish accent, specially when the person is using I imagine , a headset, with the microphone just that little bit too far away so it makes their voices that much quieter. :rolleyes:  :lol:

Can we be mindful of our openness to other cultures please and note that any racist remarks will be dealt with accordingly

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I wasn't being racist, I simply said that he was from Nottingham and I couldn't understand 1 word out of 10 ... You'd think that you Brits could at least speak English, no??

Al it was a statement asking for people to be mindful of the contents of the topic as it can be a touchy subject. Wasnt directed at anyone at all let alone anyone in particular.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

I actually worked briefly in a call centre for a clothing catalogue. it was where I discovered that I can't understand anyone who lives outside of south east England, lol. After a year of endlessly saying 'what's your customer number?......um was that f for freddy or s for sugar? ....um sorry can you repeat that....." I decided to leave, lol. Why do we even have accents? Where do they come from?

Even in the US it is very interesting the different acccents that can be found just going from region to region.  People in the northeast US have an accent similar to the UK, southern accent, midwest accent, etc.  I found this website interesting: http://aschmann.net/AmEng/

In the area I live in we have "Chicago accents" but you go an hour east you will hear a different accent, and just 2 hours south you will have a bit of a southern accent. 

When I moved to New EnglandI actually had a little trouble understanding some people depending on how thick their accent was.  And of course I was made fun of the way I spoke lol

I wasn't being racist, I simply said that he was from Nottingham and I couldn't understand 1 word out of 10 ... You'd think that you Brits could at least speak English, no??

Sorry al that wasn't directed at you I wasn't implying you had been sorry if it caused offence was just making a general statement as I know something like this thread can cause upset x

Even in the US it is very interesting the different acccents that can be found just going from region to region.  People in the northeast US have an accent similar to the UK, southern accent, midwest accent, etc.  I found this website interesting: http://aschmann.net/AmEng/

In the area I live in we have "Chicago accents" but you go an hour east you will hear a different accent, and just 2 hours south you will have a bit of a southern accent. 

When I moved to New EnglandI actually had a little trouble understanding some people depending on how thick their accent was.  And of course I was made fun of the way I spoke lol

Thats exactly the same here! Glad it's not just me, lol. Odd thing is I struggle to understand regional accents but can understand my Canadian relatives perfectly. Doesn't make any sense, lol.

Im sorry i did state that i wasnt being racist! And not one person thats posted has taken it that way.

Remove it if you want.

Cant rant on fb, cant rant here

meh

who's saying you cant rant? u just have to be open to peoples opinions , your saying your not being racist , no one has taken it that way (yet) but it could happen so the post was put up just to be safe 

im actually pretty good with accents! My granny is Irish, my dad is Glaswegian. I had someone cold call me the other day and I normally hate it, but he had the most gorgeous thick Irish accent I didn't want him to go! lol

Edited by Sid_Wolf

Odd thing is I struggle to understand regional accents but can understand my Canadian relatives perfectly. Doesn't make any sense, lol.

That's because Canadians are naturally awesome. ;)

Seriously, though. We have accents throughout Canada too. Newfies (people from the province of Newfoundland) are the ones that stand out to me the most, I can understand what they're saying but its just...not what I'm used too. 

Now, aboot those shingles on the ruff.... ;)

Im sorry i did state that i wasnt being racist! And not one person thats posted has taken it that way.

Remove it if you want.

meh

Did I say you were??? No!!

We are not facebook and rules are on here for a reason I was merely reminding people

Remove it if you want.

meh

The only person stopping you ranting about stuff on facebook is yourself and facebook rules. Someone made a comment on your status and because it just happened to be a member of this site. If you dont want a reply to something from people, dont rant to people its that simple.

The post from Sarah specifically said for people to be mindful of the fact. I then even clarified this after Al posting up. Sarah then also clarified her comments. Yet you still felt the need to come on and be on the defensive about it? The "Cant rant on fb, cant rant here" rubbish. Its nothing less than annoying and nobody is interested in stupid, senseless comments. If you wanna have a conversation about something, go ahead, but start with silly comments like that.