Amazing Accidental Discovery I Recently Made That Calms My 9-Month Old Male Husky

husky3

My 9-month old male husky has what seems to be a never ending amount of energy. Even with two 45-minute walks a day, his playful energy drives us, along with other dogs that he meets crazy. He recently began jumping up and down on us, in addition to his continual bad biting behavior. We had him neutered over a month and a half ago, though that did not change his behavior.

Last week I purchased a saddlebag for him so I could put water bottles, and other items in it when I take him on his walks. I tested the saddlebag on him in the house, adjusted the straps so they were not too tight, and his behavior almost instantly RADICALLY changed. He was mellow and calm, with no biting, no jumping, he let us cuddle him (this never happens), he almost seemed lethargic. I was worried, so I watched him closely. I have since taken it off him, and put it back on him multiple times with the same results. Each time I keep it on him for no more than an hour and when we take it off he is back to his normal self within a minute.

I did some research online and found a company that sells shirts for dogs that claim that the shirts apply pressure to dogs and this creates comfort for some dogs that have anxiety or too much energy. I spent a lot of time researching the saddlebags on Amazon and read lots of reviews and never came across anyone else discussing this type of effect from a dog wearing the saddlebag.

Have any of you put anything on your husky that resulted in a similar calming behavior? Anyone know anything more about what this is actually doing to the husky? 

Thanks.

I've never heard of it working with saddlebags, However I have heard of the Thundershirts being used for SA

So in a roundablout way I can see it working in a similar way :up:

Glad you found something to calm him down.

Yes, Thundershirts was the company that I found through my research.

What did you mean by "SA?"

SA + Separation Anxiety

Going nuts / howling / being destructive when you leave them alone

It calms mine done too. She's a year and half with an abnormally large amount of energy despite 3 mile jogs every other day and park visits every other day as well as 30-40 min walks on days we go to the park..

Since huskies are working dogs they focus on carrying the backpack as well as it tires them out faster and drains energy faster because they focus on carrying the backpack. At least that's my point of view on backpacks.

Your husky must love to be put to work :D.

Jelly is usually extremely tired after a 3 mile jog with a backpack. She is very calm with the backpack but when we take it off she's slightly more energetic (but still in a tired state of mind) and she usually just sleeps after that lol.

The only thing that seems odd to me is that he doesn't like to sit or lie down on his own when the saddlebag/backpack is on him. He sort of walks in slow circles around the house and seems to pant a bit. I'm able to pick him up and bring him on the couch (something he normally would not allow me to do without a bit of a fight), and on the couch I can get him to lie down and we can cuddle with him (something he also never lets me do, he is too restless). I'm just wondering if he is somehow uncomfortable with it on him? It is not too tight and he has never yelped or barked or howled when it has been on him...it is just so strange to see the radical shift in behavior just from putting it on him and taking it off!

a back pack calms my diva too i only half issues with her when she see's other dogs but when she has a backpack on totally different dog xx