I Can't Be The Only One.

crazeediamonds

Surely you must of all had this idea or am I the only one. The only thing stopping me is lack of funds. So if anyone is kind enough to offer.

So, we all complain that there are not enough safe, secure dog parks and that we cannot let our dogs off lead.

Well my idea would be to buy a huge warehouse and kit it out for sociable dogs to run free and have loads of fun. Only charging a reasonable admittance fee and as its inside they can still have exercise when its pouring down and the owners stay dry.

If anyone now decides to use this idea I would be very grateful if it's very near to me as I dont drive and was the one to post it. Unless someone wants to fund and I will help run it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea. Though the only problem would be keeping clean and being on top of it. 

I was at an indoor event where lots of dogs go to and it is not fun when they pee and poo everywhere and not everyone is cleaning up well after them.

I would look into something that was kind on the dogs paws but that would be easy to clean and maintain. Owners would be made to sign a form to say they would pick up poop mop up wee etc. Anyone not doing so would be fined on the spot and banned for a month. I don't think this would apply to husky owners as they are all responsible owners. Lol

Good idea.

There are sites like Kickstarter where you can post all about your project, post designs for the 'park, etc. People will send you money (through paypal, cheque, etc) to help fund the project.

Provide as much information as you can. As far as I'm aware, its free to post on Kickstarter. 

You can put in artificial grass, and maybe paint the walls with trees and/or the sky. Make it look like its outside! Also use lightbulbs as close to the sunlight wavelengths as possible. You can set a rule, saying that if you do not pick up after your dog you will be fined and/or banned from the facility.

As for the peeing, well...maybe you can set up a drainage system so it drains to the outside? Like, have everything very slightly sloped towards a centre point, and then have several drainage spots (underneath the soil) where the pee can escape. 

You may want adequate ventilation, too. 

OR:

You can have real grass, it would just be harder to maintain. You would need lots of skylights to provide adequate lighting. Real grass is a bonus: it will probably absorb the pee so you may not need to add in a drainage system. 

Did you think of insurance?? Dog fight? Dogs biting people? People getting in fights?   LAWSUITS!!

May sound negative but unfortunately that is sometimes the reality!!.........at least it is the States!

Ciao,,,,Roberto

In that case, you'd have to get everyone to sign a waiver. Would be a lot of paperwork and would need a good organization system, but it can be done. 

In that case, you'd have to get everyone to sign a waiver. Would be a lot of paperwork and would need a good organization system, but it can be done. 

Sorry for being blunt and direct!! Not "in that case" It is "The case"!! You would have to have insurance!  Of course it can be done, I mentioned insurance  because no one else did!

Ciao,,,,Roberto

I started going to this group near me, called k911 training,  he works a lot with Pit's , but works with every type,  during the summer months we go to parks for Packwalks and mini training,  then during the winter he has a pretty large building where we do the indoor Packwalks and mini training,  its $10.00 per dog per visit, and it lasts about an hour,  we walk for 30 min to take the edge off the dogs and then 30 min of training, he holds these 3 days a week, so it works out well for different people and work times, and then at the end of training, most leave,  but he pics about 10 to 15 dogs that can stay, and we all get locked in and we start walking and he will pick the most calm dogs first and so on till they are all off leash, then the dogs can run all over and play and we keep walking around. we do this for about 20 min and there is 3 to 4 trainers that will break up a fight if it happens, they are very good at what they do there. in the 3 years of going, I only seen 1 mini fight and they had it under control in a matter of seconds and there and nobody got hurt, the dogs ended up playing together again soon after that.  so he must make a good bit of money to keep something like that going, and each packwalk meet there is about 30 to 50 people with dogs.

I started going to this group near me, called k911 training,  he works a lot with Pit's , but works with every type,  during the summer months we go to parks for Packwalks and mini training,  then during the winter he has a pretty large building where we do the indoor Packwalks and mini training,  its $10.00 per dog per visit, and it lasts about an hour,  we walk for 30 min to take the edge off the dogs and then 30 min of training, he holds these 3 days a week, so it works out well for different people and work times, and then at the end of training, most leave,  but he pics about 10 to 15 dogs that can stay, and we all get locked in and we start walking and he will pick the most calm dogs first and so on till they are all off leash, then the dogs can run all over and play and we keep walking around. we do this for about 20 min and there is 3 to 4 trainers that will break up a fight if it happens, they are very good at what they do there. in the 3 years of going, I only seen 1 mini fight and they had it under control in a matter of seconds and there and nobody got hurt, the dogs ended up playing together again soon after that.  so he must make a good bit of money to keep something like that going, and each packwalk meet there is about 30 to 50 people with dogs.

Is that the Cleveland area?? I was born there,,long ago!!

Ciao,,,Roberto

Did you think of insurance?? Dog fight? Dogs biting people? People getting in fights?   LAWSUITS!!

May sound negative but unfortunately that is sometimes the reality!!.........at least it is the States!

Ciao,,,,Roberto

Yeah I thought of that. One reason why I said social dogs. I know things can change so all this would be covered within a signed agreement upon entry. At the end of the day all that can happen just walking down the street.

Sorry for being blunt and direct!! Not "in that case" It is "The case"!! You would have to have insurance!  Of course it can be done, I mentioned insurance  because no one else did!

Ciao,,,,Roberto

I get what your saying Roberto but it is only a dream. As I mentioned I can't afford it. There is an outside dog park near me but unfortunately Eskie can fit through the railings atm and then when he can't he will be able to jump them. They are not high at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought about this but then thought well when we finally built our new house we have so much space around us im just going to put 8ft fencing round a massive park of it and have my own enclosed dog park  lol  xx

I would just love to have a dog park period.  I live in a small country town and we don't have one, but our house is set up where they can run like crazy ppl if they want.  Plus they get long walks and talk to the horses and cows.  The pasture next to us has 3 horses in it, and everytime they see Tuff and me coming they run up to the gate from out in the pasture.  When they get to the gate Tuff sits down and tilts his head at them, and the horses do the same.  I think it is their "talking".  It's nice that he gets to be around other types of animals, but I wish we had a dog park.  PS, I can't wait for the horses to meet Aspen.  I hope they have the same relationship.

• 3 months later...

I have constantly thought about a dog park in my area, i live near a beach and there is plenty of grassland to have walks on but the only problem i have is if i let my troublesome four off the lead, they make it a game for me to get the lead back on them, lol. An enclosed area would be the greatest thing for my pooches, they would have so much fun and i wouldnt be worried about them running off. 

We have the land but sadly not the funds to fence it all securely. But if I did you'd all be welcome to come over, sit in the sun (when it decides to reappear) sit with a cold beer or glass of wine and watch your pooches zooming up and down our field :)

now that this topic has been brought back to life.... :rolleyes:

My dad used to talk about this. He loaned some man money a few years ago and got this empty lot near our house as payment. He used to say he's gonna fence off the entire lot and let Diamond and all his four-legged friends run around off-leash. But of course it never happened. He's the kind of person that dreams out loud  :lol: often talked about turning my room into a replica of Kodak Theater and buying a couple of Galapagos turtles as well! :shrug: but a part of me hoped he fenced off the lot for real... not that I'm a fan of dog parks, but my mental business opportunity radar is tingling :P 

I take Kodi to doggy day care! He loves it, that's in a big warehouse where they can have a good run around, lots to play with etc. and they take them out on walks to, and to the beach. It costs a little bit, but I usually only take him once a week, he's shattered when he come home and always gets really excited when we're on our way there coz he knows the route!

They've been doing 'social' evenings too where you can go with your dog one night a week and stay there for an hour with other dogs and owners instead of leaving them.

It's a great place and is really useful for me!