Doggy Talk

mydiamond

Do you doggy talk with your pooches at home? I don't always do, but when I'm applying Dime's ear antiseptic lotion I just can't help it. I know it stings and he looks very uncomfortable so I kept saying "aww, poor baby.. it's okay, hang on... aww, I'm sorry I know it hurts... my poor baby" :shrug: is it really true that doggy talks have bad impacts on training? I heard it makes them take us less seriously?  :o

I remember ages ago watching a dog training programme on TV, it suggested that the more you talk to your dog (and I mean incessantly, not just "good boy" etc) the less they listen as it just becomes a noise to them & they switch off. But as for how much reassuring your dog when applying cream or encouraging them to try things affects basic training, I dunno :huh:

At the animal shelter I always greet the dogs when I walk past. This is useful especially for shy or scared dogs so I don't just suddenly appear next to him. Also, talking to them seems to make them a lot more excited :)

I remember ages ago watching a dog training programme on TV, it suggested that the more you talk to your dog (and I mean incessantly, not just "good boy" etc) the less they listen as it just becomes a noise to them & they switch off. But as for how much reassuring your dog when applying cream or encouraging them to try things affects basic training, I dunno :huh:

Doesn't apply for mine then. I accidentally included 'cookie' in one of my sentences when I was talking to Ruth. Suddenly had three pairs of eyes all focused on me while I was quite sure they were all asleep a few seconds earlier!  :huh:

I use baby-talk. I've noticed most people here talk to their pets in baby talk too. "Ooooh, Who's a good boy!? Are you a good boy! Yes you are! Yes you aaaarreeee!"

He seems to like it, and respond to it more, when I talk to him using baby talk. Especially if its praise.