Husky Being Sick

Clare70

Hi all

Hoping you might be able to give me some reassurance. Over the past 8 days, Harry has eaten grass 3 times and thrown up. Its been in the mornings and his just sicks up the grass and bile (sorry for the description). He did this last Monday, yesterday morning and this morning. He's been his normal faddy self with regards to eating. Eating for 2 or 3 days, then hardly touching his food for a day or two. This morning he didn't want his breakfast, then at lunch time I encouraged him to eat some, I do this by sitting with him while he eats. Anyway, an hour or so later I took him for a longish walk and he threw up what he ate at lunch time. He seems a little quieter than normal, oh and he's shedding buckets of hair.

Is this normal? should I be taking him to the vet?

Many thanks oh wise folk.

Is he pooping?

I would be worried about some kind of partial obstruction. Is it possible he ate something that could be blocking things up in there?

I would probably call the vet, but I'm so extra cautious about vomiting after my dog had an obstruction.

A few thoughts:

- I had this problem, years ago. What I found out is that I wasn't feeding him enough - the stomach acid would bother him. He would gag at me, I'd take him outside, he would eat a whole bunch of grass and he would vomit. It was almost always a foamy/liquid yellow...which is just their stomach bile. So, if she's the type of husky that just goes off her food...this may be bothering her stomach. On her fasting days, I would recommend giving some treats. Even if it has to be bread - just like in humans the bread will absorb the excess acid and make her feel better. :)

- It is also possible that he's breathing in his shedded hair...this may elict a gag response or make him feel sick. 

As you've probably already guessed, they eat grass in order to induce vomiting. So obviously his stomach is bothering him. I would try my first suggestion before going to any vet...as we all know how expensive they can be! 

You can also give your dog pepcid or an over the counter acid reliever.

- Many veterinarians recommend Pepcid AC® (generic name is Famotidine) to decrease stomach acid. This helps many pets. The dosage most commonly used is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours. A 20-pound dog should get about 5 to 10 mg (total dose) once to twice daily. This is an oral medication, which can be found at most pharmacies in the antacid section. Pepcid (Famotidine) does not require a prescription. It is often used for 3 to 5 days. 

A few thoughts:

- I had this problem, years ago. What I found out is that I wasn't feeding him enough - the stomach acid would bother him. He would gag at me, I'd take him outside, he would eat a whole bunch of grass and he would vomit. It was almost always a foamy/liquid yellow...which is just their stomach bile. So, if she's the type of husky that just goes off her food...this may be bothering her stomach. On her fasting days, I would recommend giving some treats. Even if it has to be bread - just like in humans the bread will absorb the excess acid and make her feel better. :)

- It is also possible that he's breathing in his shedded hair...this may elict a gag response or make him feel sick. 

As you've probably already guessed, they eat grass in order to induce vomiting. So obviously his stomach is bothering him. I would try my first suggestion before going to any vet...as we all know how expensive they can be! 

Wow!! I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone say give your Husky MORE food.

We so often have to advise cutting it back.

So glad that you had this experience Elyse, and were able to give the advice.

If you do increase the food and it gives him the runs then substitute boiled (but cold) plain rice.

This will act as a filler Not mutch nutritional value but will make Harry FEEL fuller

Oh, yeah and as for the shedding loads of hair.

This happens twice per year.

Love your Husky Love the fur :)

I went through this with Yukon.  His stomach was producting too much acid and he would vomit a yellowish foam.  I found out that I needed to feed him more often, and this solved the issue.  I didn't increase his total food, I just split it up in 4 meals so he didn't have an empty stomach for long. 

If it is accompanied by problems going poo, or being lethargic, or if you find blood, that's a sign to call the vet.  Also, if the vomiting is consistent maybe ask them what they recommend. 

Many thanks for your wise words. I had to go out and leave him for a bit, didn't want to but had no choice. He is now running around like a mad thing, having just nearly knocked his food bowl out of my hand. He couldn't wait to eat, though only ate half, but that's quite normal for him. Hopefully he'll go and eat the rest later.

I feed him twice a day usually and often has a raw bone to chew on. He does have doggy treats, but unless it's fish or cooked chicken he's just not that interested. Maybe I've just answered my own question :)

So 24 hours later. Harry seems fine :) He ate a little breakfast, then I gave him some dried cornflakes as he loves these. No sick today and he's had some dinner. I defrosted a raw meaty bone and he's now happily munching and crunching on that :)

Thanks again.