Myshka's Op

Val (Zebedee)

Myshka had a small pink fleshy growth on her right knee, found during her moult in January. Her coat grew out again and it 'disappeared'. Now she's blown again, you can see the growth but it is bigger and has changed colour to dark brown. We went to the Vet and agreed it should come off.

She had it removed last Friday and was under orders to leave it alone; the Vet put stitches in under the skin but left the top to heal. I slept on the sofa for 2 long, sleepless nights watching her - she'd go to lick it but a swift 'leave' got the message home! I had to go to bed to sleep last night ready for work today and she has been licking it :-( what was a fairly neat wound is now quite open. She is back tomorrow for a post op check but I can sense some antibiotics and a buster collar!!

Here's the before, after and now

post-143-0-48684300-1380574891_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-63065000-1380574976_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-29880400-1380575002_thumb.jpg

She is Good Old Myshka apart from the hole. The boys leave her alone, D was never a bother anyway but Kav is being so good. He's tried a sniff or 2 but he's left it untouched.

Back today for the check and yes, she has opened the wound, you could see some of the suture material coming out from the internal stitches but it is clean. We DO have the cone of shame & she has spent the last 1/2 hr crying, whining, anything to make me take it off. She has tipped water bowls all over the floor in temper after having a drink lol

We also have pink Synulox tablets (they're HUGE) that I cut into 4 pieces or she won't eat it - even then I have to tip her head back, drop the piece in & massage her throat to get her to swallow it. And we have Manuka Honey to put in the open wound, but I have a feeling it will wind her up as she can smell it but can't reach it due to the collar, so it gets smeared on the outside of the collar & Kav gets to lick it off :lol:

post-143-0-85433000-1380622885_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-15029300-1380622896_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-52115500-1380622923_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-39117500-1380622932_thumb.jpg

Poor kid. She looks so humble with the cone. We had seven tumors removed from Eisa earlier this year. The vet used outside stitches to close up, but that may have been a different incision type to begin with. Those cones are a pain to deal with. Hope she heals quickly.

A friend of ours, Lisa, is a whiz with the sewing machine - she has only gone & made a custom fabric cone! It's amazing! I had to measure from Myshka's neck to the tip of her nose & within hours, I had a one off cone made to measure! It is floppy enough for Mysh to run past things & it doesn't dig in but robust enough to cover the wound if Mysh tries to nibble it! It's brilliant .... I will get a photo of her wearing it. It was made to fit in a collar but I couldn't get the collar tight enough that she couldn't get it off - she is very crafty & soon learned if she put her head to the floor, the cone would crumple a little, she could get her front paw on it & pin it down while pulling her head out of it  :o  but we have reverted to the vets favourite of a length of bandage through the loops & tied securely & it has stayed in place over night & today while we are out at work. It is better as she can eat & drink easier than the plastic buster collar too.

So the wound can finally heal - I just wish I could get her antibiotic supersize tablet down her!  :P

Well the Vet has called with the results of the lump, it is not cancerous and there is nothing left behind so once the wound heals, it's all over (apart from growing back her coat). She has another appointment on Monday to see how she's doing. She's not eating right now, maybe half a small meal a day but I think she's just sulking, she seems ok in every other way.