Pet Insurance Company

Val (Zebedee)

This should start off in the Steam Room, but wait till you read the ending!

18 months ago, I changed the pet insurance company I was with as the previous one was extortionate. I went for a company that did multi-pet policies - perfect for having 3 dogs. I joined up online but it kept going wrong, so I called the company to see what the problem was with the website. I was told their systems were not operating correctly & it was not allowing me to have 3 dogs together. They said they'd do it manually & send me the paperwork.

Paperwork came with Kav & Mysh on one policy, Diesel on another. I rang them & was given an apology, they would correct it & I would get new paperwork. That new paperwork eventually came - the same as the original, 2 dogs on one, 1 on another! To cut a long story short, I was backwards & forwards for about 10 weeks till in the end I gave up & had 2 policies, with assurance that at renewal, I could have 1 policy covering all 3 as per my original request as their systems would be sorted by then.

Guess what happened at renewal in May? 2 seperate policies! So I rang them & they said they would sort it; this went on back & forth for another 6 weeks - at one point I had Diesel & Kav on one policy & Myshka 3 times on the other! I was insuring 5 dogs :o They eventually sorted it out by cancelling the other two with 5 dogs & starting from scratch so that now, I only have 3 dogs, on one policy, insured with them.

Now - Myshka has needed a little op, so I gave permission for my vet to deal with the company direct for payment after I paid the excess. The company told me that as the problem was first seen in January, I was not covered :angry:  They were going from the renewal date of the single policy (May) after cancelling the previous & would not honour the continuation.

I don't get mad very often, I am the most chilled out person I know, but I was screaming down the phone at the girl as I had just had enough of them. Grumpy took the phone (after I yelled that yes, I did give my permission for them to talk to him also) and asked for everything in writing, all of the conversation script, so we could take it further, which the girl agreed to.

I didn't know what to do about the op as the vet advised it would cost around £700, but in the nick of time (here's the Sunshine bit themoticon-0157-sun.gif ) the underwriters got in touch, apologised & said after looking in to it (as the company had escalated the complaint) they would honour it as we did have cover for her the previous year & it was not us that cancelled the policy, it was the company.

A few days after that, I received a letter of apology also, with a £25 gift card for a certain grocery store for our inconveience & upset! RESULT!

So that is why it would start in the Steam Room & end up In Sunshine & Lollipops!  :D 

Cookies if you stayed with me till the end :cookies:

Wow, that sounds like A LOT of hassle.  I'm not surprised you got cross with them, they really pushed the limit there didn't they! 

Glad to hear that this story had a happy ending though, £700 is a lot of money to find!  Was that just for her wart removal???

Wow, that sounds like A LOT of hassle.  I'm not surprised you got cross with them, they really pushed the limit there didn't they! 

Glad to hear that this story had a happy ending though, £700 is a lot of money to find!  Was that just for her wart removal???

It was, yeah. Cos she's almost 8, they wanted to do a blood test for liver & kidney function to make sure she'd be OK with the anaesthetic and I wanted to know what the lump was (for peace of mind) so it was sent away for tests which all added to the cost, but yes, only a few ponds short of £700 was the bill.

She has been back for 2 follow up appts, so I suppose they will be added on as will the 5 day course of antibiotics and the honey to dry the wound up. She is booked in next Monday for another check up too.

It was, yeah. Cos she's almost 8, they wanted to do a blood test for liver & kidney function to make sure she'd be OK with the anaesthetic and I wanted to know what the lump was (for peace of mind) so it was sent away for tests which all added to the cost, but yes, only a few ponds short of £700 was the bill.

She has been back for 2 follow up appts, so I suppose they will be added on as will the 5 day course of antibiotics and the honey to dry the wound up. She is booked in next Monday for another check up too.

Every vets differ but I know mine do not charge for follow up appointments. Hopefully yours will be the same! Hope she gets better soon. X