Mice!

Removed #5

I'm not sure where to stash this so here looks like as good a place as any.

Here's a topic I haven't seen here before so let's see what we can do with it - please!

I'm a bachelor - and as such I'm not the worlds best housekeeper.  Oh, it's not that bad, when things that aren't supposed to be green turn green I (normally) throw them out ...

Cooler weather is beginning to settle in and I have some mice ( okay, what *do* you call a herd of mice? ) paying me a visit.

I don't like mechanical traps - especially after I had to take one off a dogs snout one time, she wasn't impressed with the trap or with me ... she acted like it really hurt!

I don't like poison - for what I hope is an obvious reason - mouse eats poison, dies; dog eats mouse, hopefully doesn't get more than sick but I've know some who have died from rat poison.

I've tried the sticky paper - and I've caught a couple and I've seen where a few have left with a lot less hair than they started with.

What do you all do to consign those little varmints to the nether regions? 

Don't tell me to get a cat; Sasha's okay with cats, Avalanche thinks they're some new kind of toy.  Don't tell me to make pets of them, mice are not *my* idea of of pets!

Help!!!

There's a special kind of plastic box thing that you place treats in and when a mouse enters the box, it traps it inside still alive and no poison involved. A variant of the traditional mouse trap but humane and hopefully dog friendlier. Of course you'd have to hide it from dogs or they'll rip it apart to get the treats, lol.

Edited by emma1979

They're obviously coming in where the gas pipe comes through the floor for the stove - I can't get to it (as far as I can see, the flex hose runs under the stove) or I'd have used some expanding foam on it.

Since they're in / on the stove and the counter (which *really* gets to me!) I'll check at WalMart when I go up there Thursday -- thanks, I know what you're talking about, but hadn't thought of them.

My brother-in-law uses the box trap (which here can be used with poison or without).. he loves them once he catches them he takes them in the woods and lets them go...

Was just gonna suggest the plastic traps. Put a tasty morsel in there and job done.

Anyhoo once you've caught enough. . . . .

http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/cookingrats.htm

Nom, enjoy :)

The mice we get don't make it into the house but, we use the humane trap now for KCs safety, put some dog kibble in, works like a charm

Luvs, KC and her pack

Oddly enough, with two bags of dog food setting on the floor - they don't seem to bother them. 

I like the box idea, humane and sounds safe for the pups.

But, if you don't fix what they are attracted too (food crumbs, most likely), they'll just come back. 

I'll have you know I wash my counters at least every other week!  So there!!!

Was just gonna suggest the plastic traps. Put a tasty morsel in there and job done.

Anyhoo once you've caught enough. . . . .

http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/cookingrats.htm

Nom, enjoy :)

Andy, you're nothing but Gross!! Dis you notice the amount of alcohol in that last recipe - he wouldn't have had to worry much after he got done eating - he'd be too drunk to care ... or is that the recipe you saw first??  :)

And yes, I like the idea of the "humane traps" At least from the aspect of being safe around the dogs.

Oddly enough, with two bags of dog food setting on the floor - they don't seem to bother them. 

I'll have you know I wash my counters at least every other week!  So there!!!

Andy, you're nothing but Gross!! Dis you notice the amount of alcohol in that last recipe - he wouldn't have had to worry much after he got done eating - he'd be too drunk to care ... or is that the recipe you saw first??  :)

And yes, I like the idea of the "humane traps" At least from the aspect of being safe around the dogs.

lol - okay then. ;)

What about the floor? Underneath and behind the fridge? In between appliances? Anywhere a mouse could fit. We have problems with mice in our garage - we don't use poison but the classic mouse traps...quick and relatively painless death unlike the sticky pads where they starve/die of thirst. Whenever there's mice poo, that's where they usually hang out. 

Okay, you all will lose the pleasure of my company for a couple of days while I go back to Big Spring for the week after check up on their cataract operation.  (( I'll assume it's the pleasure of my company, if it's not ... well, nuff said! ))

Thank you all for your comments about how to take care of my mice problem, there's definitely one I'll be looking at and a few others that's I'll wander past just our of curiosity.  Have a good couple of days and I'll see you all when I get back ... BTW, it's 20/15 (more or less) in both eyes!

Okay, you all will lose the pleasure of my company for a couple of days while I go back to Big Spring for the week after check up on their cataract operation.  (( I'll assume it's the pleasure of my company, if it's not ... well, nuff said! ))

Thank you all for your comments about how to take care of my mice problem, there's definitely one I'll be looking at and a few others that's I'll wander past just our of curiosity.  Have a good couple of days and I'll see you all when I get back ... BTW, it's 20/15 (more or less) in both eyes!

Good luck Al' hope it all goes well for you :)

Naw, this is just the follow up, the surgery was last week and it went great!  I've gone from 20/500 to 20/15 - I'm a real happy camper!!

In that case   Whhoooooo hooooo

:congrats: