Behaviour Off Leash

silversea

So I'll start by saying that I have half a Siberian husky. The other half is german shepherd. I have always owned either german shepherds or Belgian shepherds in the past so this is my first part husky dog. 

She is 6 months old and I love her to death. She is a wonderful companion in the house and out in the backyard. She lives inside with me and goes out to run about in the yard when she tells me she wants to go out - usually by walking to the door and making a bizarre warbling noise. When she wants to come back in, she comes to the door and makes the same noise. She is never gone for long as she loves being with me. She doesn't dig and has never tried to get out of the yard. When I go to work she stays in her half of the house - sliding doors prevent her from getting into the other half and a baby gate (that she could easily jump if she really wanted to) stops her from going to the bedrooms in that half. I take her everywhere. She loves people and is well socialized with other dogs, she is perfectly behaved in my friends houses, she follows all commands and she even makes people say "gee I wish my dog was as smart and obedient as your dog". She is the perfect dog except...

... when she is off the lead. The instant that lead comes off, she is gone. She gets over excited and runs around like a crazy dog and will not come back. If there is no boundary such as a fence, she is gone. Everything is way more exciting than me and she no longer cares about me. This is in sharp contrast to the dog who never leaves my side at home. I tripped when walking her once and dropped the lead as I fell. She realised I was no longer holding the lead and shot off. She ran straight to a person walking the other direction who fortunately was not afraid of big dogs and when he saw me chasing and yelling after her, caught her collar for me. She could have easily dashed across the road and been run over.

I've tried

- treats

- making it "fun" to come by jumping around like a lunatic

- running in the other direction (worked wonders on a previous dog, I just end up even further away with her)

- using a horse lunging rope to work on recall - I end up having to reel her in

- obedience school - she can't pass because she fails this every time no matter what they suggest. She won't come back for them either

People are now telling me "it is a husky thing" and I should just deal with her doing this. There has to be a way. Clearly I'm not doing the right thing.

Please please please help me! Even if it is just pointing me at another thread on this topic full of suggestions!

Terri

That is indeed a "Husky" thing...you will get lots of replies like this...

i always used to has GSD's and had no problem with them..but a husky a whole different pot of beer...

First off, hello and welcome to Husky Owners! Please take your time to post a brief introduction on the Introductions section. Don't forget to add photos, we love photos! :up:

Sadly, people are definitely correct when they say "it's a husky thing". You can find plenty of threads around and it is quite a sensitive topic. Huskies are opportunists and eager to run free and explore everything around so once they feel that you're not holding them back any more, they would just launch away in a different direction. My Ares is also quite obedient in our backyard but he did manage to escape once and didn't hear me even a single time while I was calling him.

If you go around the forum you will see that everyone strongly recommends keeping your husky on the leash. I don't think there's anything else I can add to this, don't be surprised or disappointed if she doesn't listen to you because, well, "it's a husky thing" :)

i'll be honest and say , its a husky thing , the are indeed just bred to RUN and you'll find very few who do return once offlead , if i want mine to run around i use a 100ft lead so they can still have 'freedom' but are still safely on a lead too 

now shes starting to hit her teenage stage and her prey drive will be kicking in (if it hasnt already) you'll find it very hard to have her offlead at all 

Thanks for the welcome :)

She is a beautiful dog with a very gentle nature. My mother likes her and my mum does not like dogs, so that says a lot about her! She is well behaved with my cat although he always has the option to jump up onto a counter and trot off to the other half of the house if he wants to nap without her "talking" to him. I'd love to know what she is saying when she is "talking" to us. She cannot jump the counter, it is way too high even if she becomes as big as a full grown German Shepherd.

I've just never experienced anything like her when it comes to being off leash. My previous dogs have not had issues. There is an off leash beach 15 mins away and I would love to be able to take her and let her run on the sand and in the water. But she would never return. I have taken her twice and even gone swimming with her, but not off leash. Initially she was scared of the waves but I pulled her in and she loved swimming so much she did not want to get out again. She whined both times when we left.

So does it get better with age? Or am I stuck with a lunging lead forever? 

Note her GS markings but her puffy husky tail :) And her cute white paws :)

post-10945-0-97663900-1381309110_thumb.j

I don't like that answer, but I may just have to deal with it I guess. I am getting another dog in December, a Belgian Tervuren. I guess that will be my agility dog! But I would never give her up for something silly like that. I love her anyway :)

post-10945-0-91775800-1381309776_thumb.j

I promise I won't!

I've always had GS's or BS's but I have turned into a husky lover. It is interesting the difference in training a husky. Ani went through a stage of "I know what you are asking me to do, but I don't see the point so I'm not doing it". Never had that before. She has forced me to become more patient. She has a great deal of trust in me though. She will try things when she is unsure because I am there telling her she can do it - stairs, beach waves, jumping and letting me catch her when she got stuck and couldn't get down from a platform...

Hi. welcome

post-2224-0-00597400-1381311701_thumb.jp

this is my storm. He is 1/4 German shepherd and 3/4 Husky. Notice he is on a long lead. He will always be on a lead, just because he is crossed with a german shepherd does not automatically mean he will be trainable and able to be let offlead.

I know someone else on here, Stormy has one too and Skye cannot be offlead either.

Only one person do I know with a husky x gsd that can be let offlead and is impeccably well trained.

I dont see keeping my boy on a lead as an inconvenience, its a way to protect him and his life.

I too would love to do agility with my female as she loves it, but sadly not all agility places are enclosed and safe.

I want to keep her safe and that is why I will not let her off leash. There is a fenced dog park that I take her to in which she can run and play with other dogs, but never without a fence or leash. Storm is a great looking dog (and so are the others!)

I want to keep her safe and that is why I will not let her off leash. There is a fenced dog park that I take her to in which she can run and play with other dogs, but never without a fence or leash. Storm is a great looking dog (and so are the others!)

my storm is a stubborn ass! lol

sadly we dont have many fenced dog parks in the uk :( so long leads it is for mine. and thankyou. 

dont think you could of got any better advice from any better people than what as been posted here but please please please listen to the advice we say dont let them off lead for a reason its not that we are cruel or anything like that we just know the consequences, good luck and give her a hug from all of us 

Hmmm...so in effect your not so much wanting to have her off leash, but, to at least have some response from her if she does get loose...

its difficult this one, as they tend to not really care what you have to say.

I am lucky enough that both of mine are food motivated, or toy motivated....always the ones with the squeak in them

However, if there are any other dogs around they just completely ignore me.

You just need to find that something that she can not resist...so a toy...noisy or colourful, or food, like sausage or cheese.

She will probably never be responsive enough to ever let off the leash as everyone above has said, but I can understand your desire to have her at least respond....just in case.

Like to note that mine are never let off unless in an enclosed area :D

Edited by Stranger

I have both breeds.

2 Siberians Darwin & Daughtry

and 1 White German Shepherd. Echo

and they really are as different as chalk and chips.

My Sibes are master escape artists and do not recall at all, and so are never ever let off lead unless in a securely fenced area.

Echo the GSD recalls beautifully, we have just had our October Husky camp

and one of the joys was letting Echo off and giving her a good ball throw session as we walked along the beach.

It IS heartbreaking for us, believe me we would all love to see our dogs off lead and gambolling around free without a care.

However they would all just disappear into the distance, and either never be seen again or end up under the wheels of a bus or truck.

As others have said. . . . "It's a Husky thing"

Better safe than sorry is our Motto.

She is definitely different from any of my previous dogs. So stubborn! Right now she is having a whine because I have shut my bedroom door. Squeaking, whining and a small howl. She wants me to open the door now and is going to let me know any way she can that she is displeased with me. Stubborn dog! I just wanted 5 minutes peace before i let her and the cat back in. When she decides to be quiet, then she can come in. 

Yes I would like her to return to me if I tripped and dropped the lead again. That really scared me when that happened because anything could have happened to her. Fortunately the situation went the way it did. 

She is definitely different from any of my previous dogs. So stubborn! Right now she is having a whine because I have shut my bedroom door. Squeaking, whining and a small howl. She wants me to open the door now and is going to let me know any way she can that she is displeased with me. Stubborn dog! I just wanted 5 minutes peace before i let her and the cat back in. When she decides to be quiet, then she can come in. 

Yes I would like her to return to me if I tripped and dropped the lead again. That really scared me when that happened because anything could have happened to her. Fortunately the situation went the way it did. 

lmao thats husky for her!

Storm is super stubborn, more so than my full huskies.

He wants to go outside NOW

he wants inside NOW

he wants water NOW

he wants food NOW

he wants a walk NOW

thats him all day NOW NOW NOW.......................

In all honesty a good solution for that may be to either get a walking belt, or have a carabiner clipped to your regular belt, in case you drop your lead. That's the one thing that worked for me because I'm extremely clumsy, it's ridiculous how many times I can drop a lead especially with three and trying to untangle them. But as far as all the advice goes with off-leash ditto all of the above, mine can never be off leash (neither can my eskimo now, he's adopted the husky personality!!)

In all honesty a good solution for that may be to either get a walking belt, or have a carabiner clipped to your regular belt, in case you drop your lead. That's the one thing that worked for me because I'm extremely clumsy, it's ridiculous how many times I can drop a lead especially with three and trying to untangle them. But as far as all the advice goes with off-leash ditto all of the above, mine can never be off leash (neither can my eskimo now, he's adopted the husky personality!!)

But, then if your dog suddenly pulls to get at something, you'll have no means to escape and you'll fall & get dragged. Atleast, in my experience that's been the case...

But, then if your dog suddenly pulls to get at something, you'll have no means to escape and you'll fall & get dragged. Atleast, in my experience that's been the case...

Huh, I never thought of that! I was walking all three today and there were SQUIRRELS, tons of them! Like six or seven, on the ground around the tree. I got dragged, but I just ran behind them and dug my toes in as much as I could. I'd rather be dragged than to loose them - that's seriously how clumsy I am haha!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned me and my "exceptional Husky"  I live in the middle of absolutely no where (check out if you don't believe me!), Misty had the run of a few thousand acres and she would come back - normally when she was ready, but if I called she'd eventually get home - then one day she didn't ...

I now have two, Avalanche - an Alaskan Husky (which means he's a mixed breed of who knows what and ...) I take him out to run with the jeep because he will come back to the jeep - after he's had a good run and I can and do watch him while he's running.

Sasha is a Sibe and even though she stays close to me when we're out on the 100 foot lead, she's *never* truly off lead.

One heartache was enough - yep, it's a Husky thing and I had to learn that the hard way .....