Retractable Leads...best Type?

Mike101

any opinions about which retractable leads are best?

I have one of the part tape/ part "string" ones.. supposedly strong enough for a large dog, but to be honest, I am worried that If Skye really wanted to go after something.. well a bit of string I would think is no match for those Husky teeth and jaws.

An update on her pulling on walks. got her a Halti "front leading" harness, rather than have to wait a fortnight for one to come from abroad, I got it from the local petshop, with the thinking, if it looks like working ....send for a WYDWL one. And I am pleased to say, for the first 50 to 100 yards. she now walks very nicely at my side.... then she starts pulling lol, but it is a start, so I will persevere with this and see how we go , can't wait to get her a nice harness like the Julius ones... and some accessories :rolleyes:   

post-10905-0-19436500-1381429202_thumb.j

I saw that a lot of people on here use the Flexi Giant for Large dogs here. It is all tape, i am quite pleased with it. I use it during trail walks and the first few times Panda ran hard and reached the end fast, it held up really nicely and i can give him a tug without feeling like it would snap.

My reservation about retractables is. . .

and this has happened to me 

If you have a dog that loves to sniff at everything

dragging you al over the place.

if they are behind you sniffing at something, then run forward, by the time they get

to the end of the line they could be doing in excess of 20MPH

That could yank the handle out of your hand then you have a loose dog.

The handle is then banging about on the ground behind the dog, scaring them

So they run harder and faster.

I was luck that it got wrapped around a park seat.

However if you have a plodder, it'll probably be fine

I have 2 flexi lead "Explore" extra-long leash. It is 26'.  I only use it when I have them out in the country so they can roam farther, but like Andy said you have to be careful because the dog will be behind you sniffing then run in front of you fast, and you have to be prepared for them to pull you along!

And the leash is really thin nylon and has a tendency to cause damage if it gets caught around a leg or something.  I have seen some pretty nasty injuries with those. 

I use a GIANT FLEXI with Storm and swear by it. Storm does hit the end of it on occasion at full speed if playing hard, but most of the time he knows when he's about to reach the end and puts in a turn. He has occasionally pulled it from my grip, but normally on grass so it doesn't go clunking behind him!

My reservation about retractables is. . .

and this has happened to me 

If you have a dog that loves to sniff at everything

dragging you al over the place.

if they are behind you sniffing at something, then run forward, by the time they get

to the end of the line they could be doing in excess of 20MPH

That could yank the handle out of your hand then you have a loose dog.

The handle is then banging about on the ground behind the dog, scaring them

So they run harder and faster.

I was luck that it got wrapped around a park seat.

However if you have a plodder, it'll probably be fine

That sounds like exactly my boy - and what would probably happen if I were to get a flexi!

I use a giant flexi on mine. Mine can really pull if they want but if they have the flexi on they never really pull with it on as they can just go on front. I've learnt all mine even the foster dogs that when I say steady it means that there running out of room on the lead. Same as on a long line. I always attach the flexi to my walking belt incase they do decide to run to the end but if press the lock it normally stops them doing it anyway. If you ever get the chance to meet 2 of mine kobie and Chinook you would never think they could go on a flexi as they really run full pelt but they never do on the flexi. Its about training them

We use a giant flexi most of the time. The one that's all tape lead. Loki often works better on it but she does have her mad moments running at full speed. We have solved the problem of the handle slipping out of hands by having a small lead wrapped through the handle then that gets wrapped around my wrist twice so if she does pull so fast and it slips its still attached to me.