So I Saw This...

Elyse

I don't think its carved from bone...I think it was from soapstone? 

Ah, OK.

I thought is was a Whale rib.

It's a beautiful piece of work.

Ah, OK.

I thought is was a Whale rib.

It's a beautiful piece of work.

(look above; edited my post)

It could be...I'm not sure. I didn't bother asking as the price scared me away! lol

Although seeing as its so expensive maybe it isn't soapstone...? Not an expert on this stuff so I have no idea.

All the things made in the store (they had moccasins, snowshoes, coats, etc) were made by actual Native or Inuit people

I went to the guy's facebook page. He has pictures of him hunting/killing white wolves and polar bears. I know they're native people and all, and that people hunt, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Edited by Chula

I went to the guy's facebook page. He has pictures of him hunting/killing white wolves and polar bears. I know they're native people and all, and that people hunt, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The Inhuit hunt to survive - they don't have grocery stores or even a market where you can buy things. Imported food is incredibly expensive if its even available in that remote of a place. If they didn't hunt, they would die. 

Anyways, back on topic. :)

(EDIT: Tried to look up his facebook page and I can't find it. Could you please PM me the link?) 

Just had a look at a few websites featuring his work and most of the materials used were walrus tusk.

Just had a look at a few websites featuring his work and most of the materials used were walrus tusk.

Where'd you find that? I googled his name and got nothing. 

And yeesh, that would explain why its so expensive then!