Dogs On Leash In The House

Removed #5

Okay, I came back from my eye exam today, I'd left the dogs at the vet as normal.  I stopped by the local grocer and behold!  He has some nice bones laid out - big bones, some meat but they looked good (probably intended for flavoring in stew ... )

Got two bones, one for each dog - I'm not completely stupid! - then picked up the dogs and headed home.

After getting groceries unpacked and put up, I broke out the bones; gave Avalanche his outside - he was still on lead out there and gave Sasha hers inside (with her still on the leash - as I said, I'm not completely dumb).

So they've been working on these for about 3 hours now, down to the point that all the good stuff is gone and they're happily chewing on bone.  Avalanche wanted in and I knew that if he came in while she still had her bone there was going to be a "discussion".  Walked over toward her to see what she was going to do, she looked at me and gave me a none-to-serious growl, but enough that she was also saying "this is *mine*".  Uh-huh, no it's not!  Picked up the leash and she growled at it and at me; I'm saying drop it, leave it and she's saying "Nope!".  Eventually she left it, without a major hassle, and we went outside (where I quickly tied her and came back in and removed the bone, it's in the fridge)

She snapped at the leash a couple of time, but it wasn't really serious, if I trusted her just a bit more, I'd have reached down and taken the bone but we're not there yet - working on it but not yet.

If I'd taken the leash off of her when I brought her in, it would have been rough to get her away from that bone - I'll admit it, she's bit me three times and I'm not going for four - I'm more than a little gun shy!  Having the leash on her gave me that extra handle to handle the situation without it becoming anything major.  Since she did leave it - eventually - without a hassle, I'm comfortable that we *are* getting to the point where I can trust her - but *I'm* not there yet.

Why do I suggest leaving a leash on a dog in the house - just for things like this ....

Sage and Wise advice Al'

Sometimes the simplest things can make a huge difference.

However it's unfortunate that you've had to gain this great knowledge

by getting bitten.

We have issues with Chula in certain rooms in the house. Namely any room she is typically not allowed in. She goes crazy and thinks it's husky play time, jumping and mouthing and generally being naughty. So now when she goes in those rooms she gets a leash on. If she starts jumping and mouthing, I step on the leash until she lays down. Sometimes it takes a long time because she doesn't want to lay down. But then she starts to understand! It still requires a lot of repetition but I'd rather take the time to do that than to end up with holes in my shirts.

In the picture I posted yesterday of her on the couch, you can see that she has her blue leash on. It's still a tool I use frequently.

I use the leash for this reason too :l. And I had to learn this by getting bit by Jelly and breaking skin x_O She wrapped her mouth around my arm and now there's her teeth marks left lol.

Since then her behavior has greatly improved but I can usually just take the bone out of her mouth or ask her to drop it with a few protests.

Completely dislike that they get so protective T_T .