Why Won't My Dog Chew.

crazeediamonds

Eskie has never really chewed his food. When he was on kibble he just licked or sucked it up. Even now on the barf diet he doesn't really chew. I constantly tell him to chew. The only thing he really properly chews is raw carrots. When I first gave him raw chicken legs and wings he used to chew them. Now he probably chews 2 or 3 times and then swallows. There are no other pets in the house and he has no food issues. I can take gnawing bones and unwanted stuff out of his mouth with no problems. He is 18 weeks old.

Is this normal for some dogs or should I be worried. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions etc ;)

Dogs typically *do not* chew, it's one of the hang ons from the old heritage - when there's food available you get as much as you can as quickly as you can any way you can.

Some dogs will take a kibble or three and chew them, others - it seems - can't get themselves around it quickly enough.

Dogs, if you look, don't have anything resembling molars - those are the flat topped teeth we have in the back of our mouths to chew our food with.  Unlike herbivores  or omnivores (us), their digestion takes place *in their stomachs* and beyond, while our bodies start the process of digestion by chewing and mixing in a lot of chemicals in our mouths.

Now, all that to the side - if he has no problems ( er, doesn't regurgitate what he's eaten ) then it's really not a problem.  (( However, bloat is a potential problem! ))  You can find dog food bowls that will make him slow down - it doesn't mean that he's going to chew, but it will force him to get and eat one or two kibbles at a time.  See this link for an example of one.

Panda has always scarfed down kibble with or without those bowls that are meant to slow them down.

While with raw i find when he is eating chicken he will only chew it enough that the bone breaks and will swallow the rest. Wings in particular only take 2 bites or so to snap and crunch.

If you do want to see him work a little bit harder or to see if he chews a bit more, freeze the wings or quarters and feed to him.

I feed Panda chicken carcasses that are frozen, takes him a good 3 minutes or so to break it down to smaller pieces to swallow.

Thanks Al and Sunny. Eskie has had a bowl from pets@home  to make him eat slower but it didn't work. I was just worried about the wings and drumsticks lodging in his throat. It is nice to know that it is sort of a normal behaviour. I will try giving him the chicken wings, drumsticks etc frozen. Just hope he doesn't get brain freeze :rofl: