Destructive Little Tinker!

Blade is 5 months 1 week old we've been letting him have the run of the house downstairs which has been going extremely well till the last couple of days. 

Yesterday we came home to find he had rummaged through the recycling box, cardboard and paper from pillar to post and had also chewed on the corner of my living room wall. 

Today we came home to find he has torn his bed to pieces , swiped everything from my sideboard and chewed a hairbrush , a picture , photo frame, a packet of crayons ...etc etc.... and had a little chew on my dining room wall. 

Is this the terrible teens? 

We get up 3/4 hours before we go to work, he is walked for 25-30 mins , 15 mins of obedience training and allowed to "mellow" out before we leave. 3 hours later he is visited by the dog walker, walked again for 30 minutes about another hour spent with him , then repeat about 3 hours later , 90 minutes later we are home from work. 

When he is left he gets 2 stuffed kongs, one direct and one hidden for him to find, he has a gum gum , a ball, a mountain of things he can chew on as well as the company of our other dog Taz. I also hide treats about the house for him to find so, why is he chewing everything he shouldn't? 

He was crated up till about 2/3 weeks ago, our previous dog walker didn't bother going to him for 3/4 days and he was being left all day which stressed him out completely and has made him completely despise his crate I would prefer not to go back to the crate to be honest as it's a long time to be separated from our other dog, and to be cooped up. 

What can I do with this tinker?!  I've attached a piccy of him below for everyone to see how big he is getting! 

post-10761-0-17134300-1381530258_thumb.j

make sure EVERYTHING is put away and out of sight.

If  he gets at anything it's because you left it out.

It ain't rocket science

What about his bed?  :P

I understand the other bits and pieces are our own fault for not putting them completely out of the way but the wall and the bed are another story. 

LOL

You're thinking about it in human terms.

He doesn't see it as a bed or even his

It's a soft object that rips up real nice. Yay great fun.

and the wall is an attempt to find a way out.

It's possible that one day you'll come home to find your sofa shredded.

What YOU won't remeber is that 6 months before you spilled something very fragrant and tasty on the cushion.

His VERY sensitive nose smells it and decides "Ohh, yeah gotta find that tasty NOM"

and starts digging at the cushion to get at that NOM.

It's not out and out deliberate destruction

There's a DOG reason behind it.

I would be crating him or getting a kennel and run for the garden. Its better a crate then coming home to a very ill dog or worse if he gets hold of something he shouldn't or chew thru a electric wire. My boy Gus is very destructive and will chew even if walked for miles, run or worked he will still chew. He never knew any different as he was taught at a young age. He is crated for his own safety. Huskies love there crates if introduced properly mine will all go to there crates for food or if I'm going out as they know that is were they get there bones and kongs

Trouble with leaving your dog unattended is you are not there to guide him when he is doing something wrong.Your house is just one big chewfest to him he will not know the difference between a Nylabone and your hairbrush. I would really consider crating your dog while you are away to keep him safe. If he is allowed to continue to chew everything without guidance he won't learn whats not acceptable. Elka once tried to chew on my pine sideboard but with a firm 'no' and moving away thankfully she didn't do it again. Young dogs do need training to understand whats expected. 

i think your dog is "going through a chewy phase" but my friend bought me some bitter apple spray once. they say its harmless to the dog, & on what ever you spray on, only really used it about 2x but it could help you if crate is not ideal for your dog...i never crated my dog & she has always been quite good at not destroying things. 

I could never relax leaving him outside while I was out, we have people here who steal dogs and I live in a heavily populated area people will see me coming and going with him all the time and know he's here. 

I caught him nibbling on bits and pieces since we got him, the skirting board and the wall and he's always been told no and directed either to his bed to lie down or directed to one of his toys. 

As for the electrical wires we turn off all sockets and unplug all wires before we leave, the only thing left is the fridge which is built into the kitchen so he can't get to the wires. 

I'll start re-introducing his crate, if that is the safest option for him. I just know he's going to hate it  :(

Hun make the crate a great place

He loved his crate before our previous dog walker stuffed it all up. She used to visit him twice a day like above but just stopped coming without warning 3 days in a row so he was cooped up in his cage from when we left to when we came home  :cry1: Ever since then he won't even look at his crate without starting to pace and pant.

He won't even sleep in his crate with the door open anymore. 

• 1 month later...

My two are good about being on their own - but there's also been a period where they must have thought their names were "No!" While I've had Avalanche for 2 years and Sasha for 1.5 years, there are still times I wake up or come back to find something has been chewed on. But I'll give them credit, normally it's either a paper towel they've (Avalanche) has snagged off the trash or one of my old sandels that they've been given permission to work over.

They've got a couple of chew toys they'll work on when the impulse gets too strong ... but overall they're good kids.

I agree with the rest, it may take a bit of effort to get him to accept the crate again, but better that you crate him than to have him be destructive. And, yes, it's probably just a phase ...

and he's growing up into a handsome big dog!

I think you also need to remember that at 5 months he is still teething.  Aspen just turned 5 months old today and she wants to chew on everything.  If it's not moving she wants it in her mouth.  Aspen and Tuff will be playing and when they are done Tuff will have what we call vamp bites, little mouth size circles of blood from Aspen's gums on Tuff's neck fur.  Good Luck.