Husky Or Malamut

Matthewj

Hi Guys, we are thinking of getting a second dog to keep our husky Loki company. He is really good with other dogs and is not yet a year old. My question is does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be better to get another husky or a malamute. We have been told that a Malamute will help keep loki calm where as getting another husky is asking for trouble??

Matt :))

I have 3 huskies and as mad as they are they knacker each other out which helps me out cant comment on malamutes as have never had one and don't know the breed as well as huskies xx

I think it depends on your boy. I heard that Mals have same sex aggression but some Mal owners say that it's not true. Why don't you arrange a meet-up with a Mal owner and see how do you like Siberian Husky's fluffier, larger cousin? :) 

I never heard of husky owners saying "two huskies are asking for trouble". Usually they bond quickly and make a mess together :lol: plus since they pretty much have the same antics, they kinda understand and tolerate each other. You'll also notice that your first husky is a lot happier with a housemate :)

Mals are more known for dog aggression I have 3 mals my female is as total cow towards females where both my males are more chilled. I have 2 husky x mals that love everyone and huskies mine are great together. Huskies wear each other out

If you haven't thought of it already, please consider adopting a dog instead of getting (another?) puppy. There are many in shelters that are in need of homes. 

As for getting a 2nd husky, I would recommend to wait until Loki's training and obedience is exactly where you want it...

[Moved to Siberian Husky Questions]

I have the malamute below:

Joshy-13.jpg

She is my first of the breed so can't comment to much about other Malamutes. She has been a challenge during her puppyhood no doubt but she is beginning to chill and I understand from our breeder that I appear to have the most strong willed malamute she has ever bread (lucky me!!) lol.

With regards to dog aggression...it seems to be something you read everywhere but my Mally adores all dogs of different shapes, sizes and genders and I would say from what I've seen the breeder's dogs are the same. I think taking a rescue is a great idea but if you are insistant on taking a pup make sure your breeder is top notch.

I love my mally and I didn't know whether to get a sibe or mal to begin with. I'd be happy with either to be honest. They are apparently more chilled as they get older like you said.

Good luck choosing.

Mark

Joshy-13.jpg

She is my first of the breed so can't comment to much about other Malamutes. She has been a challenge during her puppyhood no doubt but she is beginning to chill and I understand from our breeder that I appear to have the most strong willed malamute she has ever bread (lucky me!!) lol.

With regards to dog aggression...it seems to be something you read everywhere but my Mally adores all dogs of different shapes, sizes and genders and I would say from what I've seen the breeder's dogs are the same. I think taking a rescue is a great idea but if you are insistant on taking a pup make sure your breeder is top notch.

I love my mally and I didn't know whether to get a sibe or mal to begin with. I'd be happy with either to be honest. They are apparently more chilled as they get older like you said.

Good luck choosing.

Mark

Lovely Pic Mark :up:

Good luck choosing.

Mark

Those pics are simply beautiful - well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joshy-13.jpg

Good luck choosing.

Mark

omg, I just love this picture !!!  looks like best friends

Thanks for the nice comments.

jmscott - I think that is a little bit of a stereotypical comment. Like someone said it's the dog and not necessarily the breed that gives the personality traits. I must also say that all dogs are born innocent and most problems with dogs are due to the owners themselves.

Joshy-13.jpg

Good luck choosing.

Mark

hi mark :D and aww look at Jazz she's absolutely gorgeous! :wub: so when you say "they are apparently more chilled as they get older" do you mean you're no longer dealing with her jumping up and being mouthy? :D 

sorry for hijacking the thread @Matthewj :P

Hidden

jmscott - I think that is a little bit of a stereotypical comment. Like someone said it's the dog and not necessarily the breed that gives the personality traits. I must also say that all dogs are born innocent and most problems with dogs are due to the owners themselves.

Dogs are not cookie cutter animals so of course there will be some variety. But breed traits are not as simple as stereotypes. Just the same as how most members on this forum balk at the idea of being told to let their Siberians off lead. Some animals can, and some can't. 

Of course you can also look at pure show line dogs, who have been bred for soft temperaments, which in general are not true to the working dogs. I would never put a show bred CAS in with a flock because in order to make them easier to show, their temperaments have been adjusted to make it easier for them to be professionally handled and gone over by a judge.

As for dogs being born innocent. Well genetics are involved in that. Dog are born with POTENTIAL which is influenced by the environment. Some can achieve a greater social ability with proper training and ownership, while others are simple able to cope to any situation no matter who is on the other end of the lease, thanks to their genetics.

I don't think you are really understanding aggression in the context. Dog aggression doesn't mean the kind that is associated with breeds like bully crosses that have been taught to fight. Dog aggression happens for a multitude of reasons and at different levels. LGDs for example, can be very dog aggressive with unfamiliar dogs. Not because they hate other dogs but more often because the perceive that the other animal is being very rude or that they may be a threat to the family. Meanwhile at home they are peaceably resting in the field with their eight other pack members. Akitas are another example of spitz aggression.

http://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/its-all-in-how-theyre-raised/

http://www.suzanneclothier.com/the-articles/aggression-some-reasons-behind-it

I have a huskamute (husky cross malamute) hes more calm that the sibes but he is very dominate when it comes to over dogs unless he's offlead (enclosed areas only) then hes fine x