Pulling!!

Matthewj

Are you using a flat buckle collar? Many will recommend using a front-leading harness ( like the  Walk Your Dog With Love harness), others will suggest using a half-check/martingale collar...especially if he figures out how to pull with the harness.

In my experience, breaking the pulling habit takes a really long time and has to be constantly reinforced. 

When Chula would pull, we would stop and make her sit. Then we'd start again. If she pulled, we'd stop. This would go on for a half hour sometimes and was really frustrating and no fun for any of us. Eventually she got better, then we would reward her for walking loose leash by giving her a treat. Just recently I have gotten her to "heel" but it only works about 75 percent of the time and only if there isn't a squirrel in sight. She will still pull if she sees a squirrel. I'm not sure how we will ever be able to stop that as she can't "hear" my commands when her head is dreaming of squirrels.

You can also use a no-pull harness that turns them around when they start to pull. We never had to do that, but maybe that would help with the squirrel chasing!

I've also seen some people use saddle bags and putting a water bottle in each side helps the dog feel like it is "working" and in work mode is less likely to be jumpy.

Edited by Chula

I use a no pull front leading harness on Tuff too.  It was like night and day using it.  If you use just his collar with a leash you will no longer have an arm, as soon as I put on the harness he walks like a dream.  Here is the link to the one we use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ZBKG4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a no pull front leading harness on Tuff too.  It was like night and day using it.  If you use just his collar with a leash you will no longer have an arm, as soon as I put on the harness he walks like a dream.  Here is the link to the one we use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ZBKG4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The front leading harnesses are great

However they are simply a tool to help alleviate the symptoms of pulling.

You must then provide one on one loose leash training, this can be a lengthy process but yields a more permanent

solution..

Look on you tube there are tons of Loose leash training videos :)

ugh I agree leash-training period is hellish :( glad Dime's over it! but I remember the feeling. How can I forget?? Training took 3 whole months!

EDIT: And I live in Indonesia! Nobody sells non-pull harnesses or other helpful tools here. Sure I can buy one overseas but the shipping fee is guaranteed enough to buy me a stack of hard cover novels :( 

I would recommend a halti if he's playing up badly. We used one on Nika as a puppy and it worked wonders, once she got past the 'GET IT OFF MY FACE' phase :rofl:

We have to walk Asha separately, but the other two tend to be okay, they pull for a while at the beginning of the walk but calm right down after about 5 minutes :)

That's thanks to no pull harnesses though, otherwise they're crazy!

- Caity