New To The Forum

Mkmattyk

hi guys ive just signed up today. Hows everyone doing?? i dont have a husky yet as me and my partner are still considering our options and we would appreciate any input from all of you guys. Now im no stranger to huskys as my mum and dad had 2 or 3 huskys when i was younger, but im basically on here to soak in your experience your willing to give me. anyways guys mant thanks in advance matty and debs xx

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi there Matty and Debs :wave: welcome to our husky family! :D I love people who do research before adopting/purchasing :D there are way too much to talk about if you're just asking for "input", so if you have a specific question don't hesitate to create a new thread in one of our sections :) we're always glad to help ;)

EDIT:

but here are what we always, always say to new owners:

1. The shedding. If you hate vacuuming, this is not the breed for you :lol:

2. The diarrhea. Yes they're "big dogs" but no they don't eat a lot. Whatever you read on the food's package, huskies eat less than that. Puppies are (in case you're looking to purchase from a breeder) especially famous for their sensitive tummy. Slight brand change and there you go... diarrhea. Rice and chicken works for most people but what works for my boy is plain yoghurt. So if your husky puppy has the runs, don't freak out :)

3. The leash. Please, never ever let your husky off-lead. They are built to run. You can't train out instincts. 

4. The pulling. Be prepared to spend some extra dollars on tools that help with pulling because when I say "they pull", I mean they PULL!! 

5. The walks. I'm sure you know already, but they need a lot of exercise. Some are so energetic they need a job.

6. The destructions. I hope you're not a big fan of flowers, because it's hard to keep your plants alive with a husky around  :o crate-training is your friend, except you actually need that couch demolished. 

7. The talking back. Some huskies are very vocal, and they tend to "woo" instead of barking. Your neighbors might not like you as much ( :P ) but they're really a fun companion. Imagine saying "oh Diamond please shut up" and get a "noooooooooo" as a reply  :rofl:

8. The husky bug. Once you chose a husky, you can never go back ;) 

dont worry im going to be asking plenty of questions in the future, but for the time being im reading reading and reading some more.

apart from this wonderfull website does anyone suggest any other great websites for me to read???

Ps at the moment im looking for info manly to do with what questions to ask the seller/breeder befor buying, any really important ones i should be asking apart from the usual.

Hi there! Welcome to husky owners. Xx. Like my diamond said, if you have any questions please feel free to start a thread, we'll be happy to help. Oh and just to give you a heads up, we are all photo mad here, if you decide a husky is the way to go, then lots of pics are a must!! Lol.

dont worry im going to be asking plenty of questions in the future, but for the time being im reading reading and reading some more.

apart from this wonderfull website does anyone suggest any other great websites for me to read???

Ps at the moment im looking for info manly to do with what questions to ask the seller/breeder befor buying, any really important ones i should be asking apart from the usual.

Matt, the internet is full of conflicting information. IMO except you're "talking" with a real person (for example in a forum like this), Google is the worst place to learn something. Books are your best bet. I've heard a lot of positive reviews about "Siberian Husky For Dummies" :)

Matt, the internet is full of conflicting information. IMO except you're "talking" with a real person, Google is the worst place to learn something. Books are your best bet. I've heard a lot of positive reviews about "Siberian Husky For Dummies" :)

I have Siberian Husky for Dummies, I read it cover to cover in a day. Pretty good book if I'm honest.

hi and welcome :D

I've got the huskies for dummies book too - well worth getting - ebay or amazon may be your best bet :)

I know you said you're looking at breeders but have you also considered a rehome? There are hundreds in foster homes at the moment, of a variety of ages x

to be honest sarah im keeping my mind open at the moment, im not going to rush into anything anytime soon

Edit

sorry if it might seem harsh but i just dont want to be in that situation where im at a rescue home handing over a dog i couldnt fully provide for  and it could have been avoided by fully knowing what im getting into first

to be honest sarah im keeping my mind open at the moment, im not going to rush into anything anytime soon

Edit

sorry if it might seem harsh but i just dont want to be in that situation where im at a rescue home handing over a dog i couldnt fully provide for  and it could have been avoided by fully knowing what im getting into first

I wouldn't say it's harsh at all, I think it's a very smart move. Your doing your research before getting a pup/dog. Rather than rushing out getting one then regretting it.

no not harsh at all - just wanted to put a suggestion out there :)  It's better to wait and fully decide first - just seen you're in Morley - we're in Rochdale, if you ever wanted to come across for the day and meet my 3 nutters you're more than welcome :)

Hi and welcome :). I think everyone has gave you fabulous input. As to your question about what to ask a breeder I am beginnning to think some about it myself. I have three huskies but none bought from a breeder. Echo came with my fiance as his parents use to breed and then the two girls are his daughters. I had a fourth but some things went around and she is with family. So I am planning to get a fourth. I think I may rescue but I wont enter a fourth into my home intill my two girls are fully trained. So not intill later of 2014. But I have met two rescues that I thought about adopting. The one female did not get along with my two females I already have. They got in huge fights on the meet. So it was a no as that dog needed an only home. The second I went to meet kept trying to attack my fiance as she does not like males because she was abused by one. So im still looking im not going to give up on rescues because honestly thats what id like to do because they need a home as much as a puppy. But I thought about getting another puppy again because I love the puppy stage. But I just do not know. If I was to buy from a breeder. Im definitly going to ask these questions,

How many litters do you have a year? Are they inside or outside dogs? What is your purpose of breeding? Why do you charge so much money? I want to know that the pups are coming from a good home that their purpose for breeding is to better the breed not for money. But then again I don't care because a dog is a dog no matter where it comes from to me but still I want to know that im not providing money for a backyard money hungry breeder that Im actually providing money for a registered bettering the breed and keeping it alive . But honestly just check into rescues around it doesnt have to be right now they go through all the time. I see them constintly over in Missouri. I also see tons on craigslist and rollanet that need good homes. Im just going to play by ear for myself and if an older rescue dog fits in to my home then that is what im going for :) Good luck