New Puppy Question

TarMac

Hi,

Tonight we brought home an 8 week old malamute puppy (Piccy's later) and introduced him to our 2 sibe/malamute mix 10 month old puppies. In general things seem to be going well but I have a concern over the way the older dogs are treating the new fella.

Although nothing has happened the older dogs seem to be a bit heavy handed (pawed) with the little one, they just follow him around and after a few minutes start hitting/pushing him and a couple of times they have put there jaws onto its neck, as soon as I see their jaws I intervene and make more of a fuss of the older dog, with the intention of reassurance for him.

Could someone who has had this scenario give me any advice ?

I don't think there is anything to worry about, but better safe than sorry. They are currently sleeping nose to nose so I guess they feel comfortable with one another.

If any more information is required, just ask.

Cheers

Colin

Additional note, the new puppy is sleeping in a crate when I'm not around to supervise.

Had the same issue recently. I added a 12 week old puppy to our pack. I have a 2 yr old husky/wolf mix. I had the same concerns as the old would do the same thing, then after watching them play and some sound advice from ppl on here I realized they were just playing. Huskys play rough. So unless there is blood or you think they are biting to hard watch and see how it goes. Tuff will grab Aspen by the neck and she will grab onto his neck and they go around in circles till 1 of them calls uncle. Aspen is now 15 weeks old and I'm surprised everyday how mean she is to Tuff.

sounds like typical sled dog rough play to me my malamute husky mix is very rough with my sibes was worrying to watch but they tell him off when he gets to rough  or they have had enough xx

Thanks for all the replies, my mind is at ease now.

On another note, the two older ones have their own room at night and the puppy is in a crate in a different room, well that was the initial plan but all three started howling so I put them all in the same room and the howling stopped. So when would be a good time to let them stay together (Meaning puppy is out of the crate and roaming freely with the older ones)? is it a time issue or a size issue?

Cheers for the advice so far,

Colin

Thanks for all the replies, my mind is at ease now.

On another note, the two older ones have their own room at night and the puppy is in a crate in a different room, well that was the initial plan but all three started howling so I put them all in the same room and the howling stopped. So when would be a good time to let them stay together (Meaning puppy is out of the crate and roaming freely with the older ones)? is it a time issue or a size issue?

Cheers for the advice so far,

Colin

more like a personality issue. If you're sure the older ones won't accidentally injure the pup and the pup won't bother the older ones too much, you can start right now. I'd rather having the puppy out of his crate after he's fully potty trained though :)

EDIT: I feel weird saying "personality" or "personal" when I'm referring to our fluffy friends :lol: do you think I should start saying "caninal"? LOL