Hapless

mydiamond

so I just went from :D to :( in a single heart beat. Some of you already know... but Duo (a feral cat that I named) returned to my yard with her three babies and I need to get them relocated. They can't stay in my under-construction fish pond. So I posted a question in a cat owners forum (asking if it's alright to touch the kittens to move them). The first reply that I got asked me: "what are your plans for the kittens? Can you catch and socialize them now? I know you can't keep them because of the dog so can you find them a good home? The mother needs to be trapped and spayed. The kittens need neutering/spaying too. If you don't do this you'd be overwhelmed with cats." 

And it hits me. I can't do anything to help Duo and her family :( I live in Indonesia... I don't have a nearby animal clinic that spays hundreds of animals every day. The only vet I know only does home visits. How do I call him and ask him to spay these feral cats while my parents are against spaying/neutering? Plus they don't care about these cats. Why would they allow me to spend money on them? I can't spay them. I might be able to find them a good home, but even that is difficult because where will they stay while waiting for a new home? I do have a cat-savvy neighbor but will she want all three? Will she want Duo the feral? Will she spay them all? It's not a usual procedure in Indo. Won't it be expensive? 

I can barely do anything for them. But I kept them anyways. I provide Duo with food and water, I put out beddings for the kittens, I check on them every five minutes... 

Why? I can't give them what they need... but I can't give up on them either :( I don't want to be that person who just walks by pretending to be blind... but in the other hand I can't take care of them :( what do I do? :(

Oh Liv. I can't believe that anyone would seriously expect you to walk around Indonesia, collecting stray cats and having them all spayed? That's wholly unrealistic. What you're doing already is more than enough and certainly more than some would be prepared to do. Just keep on as you are, you've done a fantastic job so far and should be proud of your efforts! :D

Edit: oh hang on just realised I misunderstood the first bit, lol. You're trying to domesticate the stray kitties in your yard? Are there no animal shelters or rescue people who could come and assess the situation? Ha ha, I'm a bit slow tonight! Catch up eventually though, lmao.

If there is nothing you can do, then that's all there is to it.

You have already gone above and beyond what could be expected of you.

Duo even though she doesn't appreciate it has had wonderful care from you for her and her kittens.

aww thank you guys :wub: I'm really the kind of person that limits myself to only two options. It's always either put your heart to it or leave it. So when I find myself hanging in the middle I feel bad :( but I can't--and won't--leave them

Oh Liv. I can't believe that anyone would seriously expect you to walk around Indonesia, collecting stray cats and having them all spayed? That's wholly unrealistic. What you're doing already is more than enough and certainly more than some would be prepared to do. Just keep on as you are, you've done a fantastic job so far and should be proud of your efforts! :D

Edit: oh hang on just realised I misunderstood the first bit, lol. You're trying to domesticate the stray kitties in your yard? Are there no animal shelters or rescue people who could come and assess the situation? Ha ha, I'm a bit slow tonight! Catch up eventually though, lmao.

I do think it's better off if the kittens live as pets. But domesticating them is a real challenge because their super protective mama never leaves their side! :( she used to leave every few hours but now she just constantly sits there :S plus would it really be fair to take away the kittens from their mama at this age? I might start walking around looking for cat people that wants a new addition, but I don't think I'm gonna take the kittens away right now. They have just opened their eyes days ago

You know, nature has a great way of looking after herself without the intervention of humans. I know you must feel hopeless & want to care for them, but since they are just born, give the mother some space to rear her kittens in peace & just provide some water, food & shelter  like you have been.  She wont be there in the first place if she didnt think it was a safe place for her kittens  ;)

cats do well to survive alone more than dogs i think....& they sure do love their independance so let it be... -_-