Should We Have Two Siberian Huskies?

libtech

Hello,

We are trying to decide if we should get another husky. Is two better than one?

would they be happier? We have had our little lady for over a year now. Think we have her trained really well.

Just thinking if we should add a brother or sister to our pack.

Mike

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

personally i think more than one is better i have 2 and a huskamute and they all knacker each other out so its better in that respect 

Yes, having another helps.

they have someone to play with 

helps keep them calmer when you go out.

Doubles the dogs, halves the problems

Hello,

We are trying to decide if we should get another husky. Is two better than one?

would they be happier? We have had our little lady for over a year now. Think we have her trained really well.

Just thinking if we should add a brother or sister to our pack.

Mike

add another when you feel ready.

just remember...

like emma said. it has to be the right dog. i have been there :( if its not right for everyone then it wont work x

Thanks for the info. We are starting to look around in our local area.

Any comments on a male or female would be more suitable.

I have also heard that whatever dog we bring home our dog will learn to accept him or her, as we are the leaders.

Does this sound right, or should we let our dog choose.

Thanks for the info. We are starting to look around in our local area.

Any comments on a male or female would be more suitable.

I have also heard that whatever dog we bring home our dog will learn to accept him or her, as we are the leaders.

Does this sound right, or should we let our dog choose.

as long as they're fixed, male or female doesn't make a difference. And no, you shouldn't bring home "whatever dog" and try to make it work out. Your dog have to come with you so that you can see if the dogs get along or not.  

Oh and welcome to our forum :D

2 are easier. I just got a playmate for my 2 yr old. They play non stop. I will say it has to be the right dog. At the beginning of this year I got a puppy and Tuff HATED her. I ended up having to find her a new home, but Tuff loves Aspen. So make sure they are a good match. I mean if you should decide, but who can say no to those lil gorgeous faces.

It can vary think shadow would have chosen a dog other than Skye lmao but they live happily together just it's so nice to see shadow play with other dogs as he doesn't really like playing with Skye thst much lol but two are definitely better I think harder to walk though but that's just because I'm small and Skye is a steam train

We had a single husky for over 3 years, she was always up to mischief as we didn't play with her every minute of the day. So we rescued a second & she was much better. 2 years later, we added a 3rd as the eldest boy can't be bothered playing now, so she has another husky to torment! lol And she & us couldn't be happier BUT we are so lucky that the rescue dogs have been the right temperament to fit in with our Diva dog :D

have just realized I haven't properly answered :) so here goes:

I definitely think Diamond would do so much better with a second. He's soooo lazy. He spends the majority of his day sleeping or just watching the world go by. I tried to play with him but I can never be a substitute for a canine friend. One night my neighbor doggy-sat him while my family went away and he had a blast playing with my neighbor's dogs. I was told that he circled the house trying to get the other two dogs to chase him. So yeah would I have a second husky? Absolutely.

It all depends on your husky though. Some prefer to be the only ruler of the castle. Some others, like my boy and the majority of huskies I met, prefer to have playmates :)

I found it much easier with 2. They wear each other out. I would suggest taking your dog to meet any potential dogs you adopt. I did that when I got Kodiak and felt confident when they got along well.

As for male/female as long as both dogs are fixed it really doesn't matter. It depends more on the dog rather than if male/female

Here is a pic of our Siberians! N'Kiya is on the right and Chase our newest member to the pack on the left.

So far so good. First night Chase was a little restless in his new home.

N'Kiya and him seem to be getting along great. 

post-10966-0-37688000-1382795424_thumb.j

TBH, we've never considered whether they'd get on as we knew that they would - it would take a very unusual dog not to get on with us

In order: GSD pup + Husky pup + Rescue Husky at 5yrs + Rescue Husky at 1yr + Foster Rescue Husky at 6mth. We'll keep to 4 dogs and foster another when we can

How long do they do the humping thing for? Do we let it continue? Are they just trying to see who is the alpha dog? They seem to get along well. Just when playing outside they run around then try the humping thing, trying to pin each other. They have been together only two days. Should they have figured this out by now.