Need Help

musicalxheart

Last night, well this morning around 4 am I woke up to let our pup out for a potty break and ended up stepping in vomit.. It was disgusting. Anyway we figured out it was Keira that did it because she vomited again a little before 5 am and she has had diarrhea since yesterday but she has been drinking water and playing normally. Keira also ate her kibble like normal yesterday but today she has barely touched it.

She's still acting normal and drinking like normal, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm going to take her to the vet if she vomits more or gets lethargic. What could be going on and what can I feed her that won't upset her stomach since she's clearly not going to eat her kibble.. And we feed them Purina Puppy Chow and have since Keira was 8 weeks old and she's been fine on it for this long.

Anyway, I appreciate any help an I'll update this when I know more.

Could just be a bug that's going around, could be much more. Hard to tell at this point. Your best bet is to do what your heart tells you to do. I typically wait 24 hours, unless diarrhea is more than four times in a 24 hour period.

I would try to eventually switch them to a better quality food, but again - your decision. I feed Taste of the Wild and have had great results.

As far as calming tummies. I would fast them for 24 hours before beginning food again and then, it should be boiled chicken (no bones) and rice. (Mild for the tummies) You could also try a bit of pumpkin (not the pie filling, just plain old pumpkin).

Is she/he running a temp? Will she let you take one? 

Could just be a bug that's going around, could be much more. Hard to tell at this point. Your best bet is to do what your heart tells you to do. I typically wait 24 hours, unless diarrhea is more than four times in a 24 hour period.

I would try to eventually switch them to a better quality food, but again - your decision. I feed Taste of the Wild and have had great results.

As far as calming tummies. I would fast them for 24 hours before beginning food again and then, it should be boiled chicken (no bones) and rice. (Mild for the tummies) You could also try a bit of pumpkin (not the pie filling, just plain old pumpkin).

Is she/he running a temp? Will she let you take one? 

She's only had diarrhea twice, once in the evening yesterday and once before we all settled down for bed last night. The rest of the day yesterday she had normal solid bowel movements. 

I do want to switch her to a better food. There's a new pet store in town that sells the higher quality dry and canned foods so I'll check those out next time we're out there. I do believe they sell Taste of the Wild so I'll probably try that food first since a lot of members on here have had success with it. :)

Okay, thank you. I'll be sure to do the boiled chicken and rice, and I'll have to get out and get some pumpkin. 

EDIT: As for taking a temp, she won't let me do it. She's too squirmy and my husband is at work, and our one neighbor that we actually like isn't home either so I have no one to help hold her. 

The vomiting is what makes me nervous. Is there a chance she got into something? Is she vomiting up food, or bile?

She vomited up her food several hours later after eating dinner. As for getting into something, I'm pretty sure she hasn't.. 

Edited by musicalxheart

If she vomits again, I'd start to be more worried and would probably call a vet. It may just be a bug or an upset stomach, but continued vomiting combined with not eating would get me to the vet.

I would already be there if my husband would've let me take him to work (we only have one car), and if she does vomit again and I'll be asking my mother-in-law if she will give me a ride. We have been looking for a second car for a while now, and just haven't found anything that is in our price range, which sucks because I would love to have a car so I can schedule appointments in the afternoon. 

ouch sounds like somebody is having an upset stomach. Does she eat anything she shouldn't these days?

When my husband came home from work last night I asked him if he had caught her getting into anything she shouldn't. She's generally pretty good about not getting into trash or into the cabinets that are close to the ground. But he said that he caught her in the trash and wasn't sure if she ate anything or not. We don't throw empty cleaning supply containers or bones in the trash, we put all those in a separate bag and take them out immediately since we don't want any of our pets in that. The only thing I can think of that she could have eaten out of the trash that I hadn't taken out yet were some bits of bread crust. Maybe that upset her stomach.. But today she is much better, she hasn't had any more diarrhea or vomiting except for what I stated in the original post.

Has she been eating grass That can induce vomiting too.

Nope, she just goes out and immediately does her business and then sometimes we'll play for a while and she never tries to eat grass. 

I know that's what I thought too.. I'm not sure what she got then, but she is back to eating her kibble like normal, and hasn't had any more diarrhea or vomiting since the day I made the original post. 

Thanks, I am too.. I was so worried about her. If this happens again suddenly then I'm definitely taking her to the vet.