Huskies Don't Listen. Or Do They?

mydiamond

I often hear that statement: "Huskies don't listen! They just don't!". Well I'm not saying they're wrong... Huskies are definitely not the kind of dog that does anything you ask him whenever wherever. They are independent, stubborn and full of intuition. Sometimes when I see my guests say "Diamond, sit!" I laugh in my thoughts. Like he's gonna do that! 

But do they really not listen? Sometimes I believe our huskies listen to us so much more than we thought. Diamond knows quite a handful of commands that I never taught. For example, "come in". I never really teach him that. I just say things like "aww Diamond don't you want to come in?" whenever I find him laying outside and I want him inside. He doesn't budge obviously so I start tapping his back, lift him as much as I could and guide him inside the house. One evening I opened the door, mumbled "Diamond, get up. Come in" and he walked right in. Been using the command "come in" since then. It's the same thing with "get up", "come on" and so many more. Some dog trainers believe that talking to our dogs too much makes them less responsive, but I think dogs do listen to those "noises" their humans constantly make :lol: Diamond learned the command "come in" by listening to what I say every day and connecting it with an action. He taught himself because he listened. That is why when he refuses to do something I ask, I know that's not because he's naturally stubborn. He just doesn't see why would he need to sit, or bow, or crawl. Maybe also because he partly understands what I'm saying and he knows I just want him to bow for the guests' entertainment  :rolleyes:

So what do you think? :) Thoughts? Opinions? 

My guys only listen absolutely and for certain

When I'm opening a packet of biscuits (cookies)

they hear that from the top of the garden 150ft away.

Other than that. . . nope

If I have treats they will do tricks

they are not listening, they are focussing.

They will try to pre-empt me by going into the "next" trick

before I've spoken it to get to the treat at the end of the routine.

I have to agree with Liv on this ... I think most dogs do listen and learn from what they hear.  But it really depends on the breed and the interaction between the owner and the owned (I'll leave it to you do determine which is which :) )

Dogs that think, I think, are those whose work depends on that ability - Husky's (all of them) fall into that category. When they're working, the speeds involved mean that they must be aware of dangers and take action to avert them. Was it Knudsens dogs who led him away from bad ice?

Dogs that guard, also need to be aware, whether they're guarding sheep, cows or property - they have to determine the good guy from the bad and often do it quickly.  Waiting for a command from an owner might mean they (or their flock) are all dead.

Retrievers / pointers are a different breed and mind set entirely.  With the Husky and Shepherd types we're encouraging a natural tendency (to guard a pack or to run); with the retrievers we're often doing the exact opposite - we're taking an instinctive action and melding it into something we want.  Set, stay and then go into an immediate action when needed - when they'd much rather, naturally, be out there hunting for themselves.

And then we've all run into the mindless house pet - who really isn't so mindless.  Their purpose in life is companionship (and to a minor degree) to guard or alert.  They learn commands that satisfy their owners and often it's "subconscious" teaching and learning.

While we have courses (agility, for example) where a dog must do exactly what the owner commands immediately - almost with thinking<??> the dog still decides whether this is a fun thing to do or not.

In all of these, though, there's a degree of "strict training" and a degree to which the dog is expected to perform "instinctively" - in a lot of cases, that last "instinctive behaviour" has been so modified by training and the perception of the owners expectations that, I think, it can truly be called "thinking".

God protect me from a dog that relies solely on instinct without "considering" their owners intent!

I know Jake has been learning food related words since I've gotten him.. "hungry" is his favorite and is the one I've taught him. But now he knows dinner, breakfast, eat, food... lol

Also like Diamond, I never really taught him a command to come inside. His "come" command means come directly to me, but I say different things all the time to get him inside, like "are you done?", "ready to come in?" etc, more phrases than commands. When he hears it though he'll either walk to the gate, or look at me, think about it, then decide to continue staring at the squirrel in the tree instead.

Keep in mind tones and body posture/movements also have a big effect on them. For a lot of dogs, our movements are easier to learn than actual words. Makes sense when you think about how they interact with other dogs, body language is a huge part!

I think there are moment when they really don't "hear" because they are so focused on something that is instinctual for them. I know Chula listens. I know she knows what she is expected to do. She just chooses otherwise. If I have nothing to offer her that makes it worth her while to listen, she may just choose not to do what is commanded. Sometimes the thing that makes it worth her while is food, sometimes it is her freedom, sometimes it is letting her do something she wants, sometimes it is a good belly rub. 

I used to think this wasn't an ok way to train, and that a dog should do something just "because". But I am okay with this method of conditioning now. She will sit when I say sit because she thinks she will get a reward. To me, the important thing is that she sits. Not her reasoning for doing it. 

Shadow doesn't he got off the lead today..... Went to play with a horse....did not listen atall until I got some treats then he did luckily he kept running everytime I went to grab him..... This is why I don't let them off the lead!

My guys listen but it comes in one ear and out the other!! You got a treat or a noise maker then heck ya the listen and are the best at listening lol or if you are holding a collar, harness, or leash they listen so intently and are in your face. Other than that it's a "when I want to ill do it" sort of thing lol

Mine absolutely know what I am saying.  At night, all I have to say is "bed upstairs" and they get up and run up stairs and jump to bed.  But during the day when I say "crate upstairs" they will run upstairs and stand by their crates. 

Although with Nikko, he has selective hearing when he is being ornery, like when he is running around with the dish cloth in his mouth he has no idea with DROP IT means :P

Listen? Yes. Hear? Yes. Respond? Only when it serves their purpose at the moment.

Mine definitely listen. Whether they act on it or not is based on pure magic though  :huh:

I was talking to Ruth and apparently used to word 'cookie' somewhere in my sentence. It was just mid-way a sentence and didn't put extra attention to it like I normally would if I would say it to a dog. Regardless, Before I even ended my sentence I was suddenly stared at by 3 pairs of eyes and when I looked back somewhat puzzled, they all started howling and barking. It was only after they ran back and forth to the kitchen I realised what was going on.

...of course, I couldn't ignore them so had to give them a cookie  :shrug:

Zara listens, but also has that beautiful husky trait of turning, 'ignoring' and giving you a great view of her fluffy husky bum til she's good and ready and decides to sit or drop.... Only because SHE wants to lol.

Good thing I am equally as stubborn/patient. I make her sit at each corner on our morning walks with the minuscule hope that if she ever gets out she will pause to look for traffic. Unlikely! Some mornings she is great, other mornings a leaf falling from a tree, a rock, or a spec of dust in the other direction are just too interesting haha! Those ears flickering and turning back tell me she's very aware of what I want though.

Today I was gardening listening to some music, and at a certain part of the song she started woo-ing along! Extremely cute, wish I had some video of it!!!

While at husky camp I quickly realised that huskies do listen but will only act when it suits them. While we were out on one of the walks Brian was, I think, training one of his dogs to run to his commands. I had Nina and Keiko on a splitter lead and every now and again Brian would give the comand to his dog and of they would go. I never gave any thought to it until one time he gave the command and I suddenly took off down the road like a bat out of hell. Nina and Keiko had worked out what was required upon hearing said command and decided that they were up for a bit of this running lark. I just wish they had let me know first. 

Gary.