Over Grooming ?

sarahjng

It sounds like a silly question I know, but is it possible to over groom ?  Bear is just over a year and having his first blow, so it's all new to us,  the thing is, Bear won't just stand there for an hour and be brushed, so I do shorter sessions,  is it possible to brush too much and damage the fur or skin (  no problem with either, just paranoid lol) 

Other tiny issue with brushing, he will not let me brush between his legs, everywhere else he tolerates it, but as soon as the brush goes near his boy parts he runs or tries to eat the brush,  ( can't say I blame him, the rakes pretty scary looking ) how does everyone else manage ?

so what kind of brush is it? if you run it under your arm (the part near arm pit) how does it feel? You'd want a brush that isn't too sharp or rough you'd feel okay with having it on your softer skin.

now to the real question: I don't think over-grooming is possible. After all their coat is really thick and if the brush is as good as it's advertised it would not damage the skin at all. 

Btw I've heard about a glove/brush that is basically a brush you wear on your hand. It works for a lot of dogs because they think it's just you petting them

my boy will not tolerate the insides of his back legs being done either he will try and bit the brush or my hand so we leave it alone my boy will also only tolerate being brush for 30 minutes so i just get the worst of it and then leave him alone xx

so what kind of brush is it? if you run it under your arm (the part near arm pit) how does it feel? You'd want a brush that isn't too sharp or rough you'd feel okay with having it on your softer skin.

It's a rake with the teeth that retract so you can't dig in,  I don't think it bothers him that much, if someone stands there and feeds him treats he's happy to be brushed all day, but he can't have treats for an hour !

my boy will not tolerate the insides of his back legs being done either he will try and bit the brush or my hand so we leave it alone my boy will also only tolerate being brush for 30 minutes so i just get the worst of it and then leave him alone xx

Glad it's not just Bear !

Mine hate being brushed, so I rarely do it...only when they are blowing their coats, and then I only do it like once a week.

I just take them to the groomer a couple times a year ;)

I hate to think how much comes off !  I hoovered my burgundy rug earlier, it was lovely and clean, 20 minutes later it was an interesting burgundy/grey pattern !

It's a rake with the teeth that retract so you can't dig in,  I don't think it bothers him that much, if someone stands there and feeds him treats he's happy to be brushed all day, but he can't have treats for an hour !

Glad it's not just Bear !

I hate to think how much comes off !  I hoovered my burgundy rug earlier, it was lovely and clean, 20 minutes later it was an interesting burgundy/grey pattern !

sounds like my rug its usually a lovely blue cream and brown when its just been hoovered within minutes it has lovely white/ grey bits all over it lol 

Daughtry and Echo Don't mind being brushed.

Darwin however hates itI have to hide the brush and grab him

by the collar, he's constantly twisting and nipping at my hands while I'm brushing him

and if he gets free he shoots off to the top of the garden.