Hi From Katie :)

Freyjaxx

Hi, :)

I'd like to introduce myself, and just ask some advice ...

My name's Katie and I have recently added a lovely husky, Freyja, to the family. She is 6 months old and is generally just beautiful, however I am just wondering if anyone can offer suggestions as to how to combat nipping? I have two kids (a daughter who is 7 and my son is 6) who love going out and playing with her but are now shying away as she just loves "play biting".  I don't know what to do, I've had a husky before, however I can't recall him being like this... I try to use my stern voice also, but I think she just hears a squeaky toy.. 

Thank you in advance 

xx

Hello and welcome to Husky Owners, Katie and Freyja! One of the general rules here is that we love photos so you two, ladies, better correct yourself and provide us such :P

Here are a few threads that might be helpful for you:

Personally, my Ares still does a bit of that when he gets overexcited but I'd usually tell him to sit down and let him calm down. If he continues, I'd go back upstairs (my Ares is in the backyard) and let him alone for a bit. If I come back in like 5-10 minutes, he's already back to his usual self :)

Welcome.

It could be that as a newborn She was taken from the litter too early

and as a result didn't learn proper bite inhibition from her siblings.

If she nips too hard when playing, make a loud "OW !!" noise and pull your hand back (teach your kids this too)

She will soon learn thet the nipping isn't a good thing.

hi and welcome to the forum :) nipping is one of the most unpleasant things about teenage dogs alright... I don't have hands-on experience as I got my boy when he was older but those threads Dimitar linked are good ones :) have a look around and good luck xxx

Hi and welcome Katie, this is the only thing that worked for me. Every time Eskie nipped i would put my thumb down the inside of his mouth and say "no biting" Within a couple of days i could just say no biting and he would stop. I also have a 7yr old which he preferred to nip but no longer does.

• 4 weeks later...