Hi There :-P

MirkoS

Hey,

Just wanted to stop by and say hi. For a long time I really wanted to have a dog of my own (as of right now, we have 3 cats and a Maltese dog) so I decided to research my favorite breed - Siberian Husky. While browsing the Web I stumbled upon this great forum; found some awesome tips and information that gave me deeper insight to the fascinating breed that Hasky is. If you didn't already realize, I don't currently own a Sib so if anyone has links to some interesting reads, I'd be more than greatful.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you and have a nice day.

:-)

Welcome

Have a good trawl through the different sections

If you have any specific questions post up and we'll do our best to answer them for you.

Hi and welcome to H-O :) first off, I don't mean to sound rude or anything but I think (assuming you haven't done any researches yet) you need to know that huskies have a really high prey drive. They are born to chase anything that is small and fast. They're not the best dogs to have around cats and small dogs... typically. Some of our members have a husky and a cat but they're never put in the same room without constant, careful supervision. 

Like I said I don't mean to sound rude.. If you want to learn more about prey drive, or if you have any other questions, just shout up :) 

Hi and welcome to H-O :) first off, I don't mean to sound rude or anything but I think (assuming you haven't done any researches yet) you need to know that huskies have a really high prey drive. They are born to chase anything that is small and fast. They're not the best dogs to have around cats and small dogs... typically. Some of our members have a husky and a cat but they're never put in the same room without constant, careful supervision.

Like I said I don't mean to sound rude.. If you want to learn more about prey drive, or if you have any other questions, just shout up :)

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that huskies tend to "prey" smaller animals, but I did read that they do well with other pets that they grow up with. I've been doing research on the breed for quite some time, so I know quite a bit; And don't worry, you don't sound rude at all, you're just stating facts - my perceptin of them is irrelevant anyway.

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that huskies tend to "prey" smaller animals, but I did read that they do well with other pets that they grow up with. I've been doing research on the breed for quite some time, so I know quite a bit; And don't worry, you don't sound rude at all, you're just stating facts - my perceptin of them is irrelevant anyway.

whilst they can do well if they've been brought up with them and grew up with them there is still always a chance that their prey drive instinct will take priority over their 'furry family' , i heard a story of huskies who grew up with cats n were fine for years then one day they dogs ended up killing the cats due to their instinct taking over 

glad I didn't offend anyone then :) well some are okay with small dogs.. even if the small dog isn't okay with them  :rolleyes: but cats I don't know in all honesty I wouldn't risk it...

whilst they can do well if they've been brought up with them and grew up with them there is still always a chance that their prey drive instinct will take priority over their 'furry family' , i heard a story of huskies who grew up with cats n were fine for years then one day they dogs ended up killing the cats due to their instinct taking over 

The cat in question was mine only 3 weeks ago - i've seen it first hand - watching your cat of 10 years die is not at all nice, can cats and huskies get on yes - mine did for years, then one day they don't and it's the cats blood on your hands not the dogs - they have an instinct :(

I wish you all the best in your research - if you are set on getting a husky i would really really advise rehoming your cats - it will save their lives i promise you xx

The cat in question was mine only 3 weeks ago - i've seen it first hand - watching your cat of 10 years die is not at all nice, can cats and huskies get on yes - mine did for years, then one day they don't and it's the cats blood on your hands not the dogs - they have an instinct :(

I wish you all the best in your research - if you are set on getting a husky i would really really advise rehoming your cats - it will save their lives i promise you xx

sorry to bring it all back hun :-( big hugs xx

Wow, that really sucks. :-\ I guess I'll have to do something about the cats.

Anyway, I was wondering are they difficult to train? I intended to use a clicker in my training sessions and also what is the right age to start training my Husky. I will be probably getting a puppy, since I want him/her to integrate and socialize properly with the Maltese.

Do you have any useful tips when it comes to obedience training?

I agree with Sarah. As I heard of her time. And had it happen with a kitten I got and didn't even have for a day :(. I have two kittens now but the more I see the look in my dogs eyes when they catch a sight or wiff (thy are gated in separate rooms) I'm seriously thinking of rehoming them even though I love them so much I don't want to see it happen. Also welcome

Wow, that really sucks. :-\ I guess I'll have to do something about the cats.

Anyway, I was wondering are they difficult to train? I intended to use a clicker in my training sessions and also what is the right age to start training my Husky. I will be probably getting a puppy, since I want him/her to integrate and socialize properly with the Maltese.

Do you have any useful tips when it comes to obedience training?

Thanks x 

Difficult to train hmmmm, i'd say actually no - they are super intelligent - however they do it on their terms, if you say COME HERE and they think nahhh, they won't - bit like kids lol

• 4 weeks later...