Topics For Educating People

CARRINGTON

So another girl and I are head of the education committee for a new organization on our college campus that helps  to raise awareness of certain issues. We do things like talk to people about fostering, spay and neuter, etc. Anyways there aren't usually a ton of huskies that come into the humane society shelter where I volunteer at and is also what this whole organization revolves around but there are some and every husky except Balto seems to be a repeat story where they are strays (although you can tell they were once owned but just dropped off in the country) or owner surrendered for a variety of reasons and someone adopts the husky because they are so beautiful but the dog is brought back again either once or multiple times until it is adopted by the right person. So I am wanting to educate our community on huskies and give them as much knowledge on the breed as I can. This may have been asked before by other members but I also know we have a ton of new members since then and would like a variety of answers from new husky owners to ones who have been with the breed for 50 years. So what are some topics you think the general public should know about huskies who may want to adopt but have not done any research?

Shedding the copius amounts of bloody hair!!!!

Need exercise. ON LEAD

following the last comment, no to offlead except secure areas

what a secure area entails...

Why, ie prey drive.

Howling

Zoomies

back chat lol

stubborn

but also...

Loving, sweet, gentle, life changing

The things I read but wasn't really prepared for:

- Escaping from seemingly safe yards

- The mouthiness and rough play

- The need for REAL exercise, not just a nice evening stroll

- The need to constantly reinforce training

- Requiring/demanding a lot of attention - very social animals.

The owners awareness of where the dog is when opening outside doors.

That they WILL attempt to escape even from upper story windows.

That a house is NOT secure unless fully locked down.

That food cannot be left unattended, it will be side surfed.

That they need mental stimulation not just physical exercise.

Lack of enough of both will possibly result in your house contents being destroyed.

The origins of the breed and old type sibe temperaments, along with general behaviors that may be found in Sibes.

I would also discourage anything to do with PETA/ASPCA/HSUS but thats just me.

Well considering that our humane society works with a local ASPCA to get some of our animals to rescues, foster homes, or they take them themselves when we have no room and an animal will be put to sleep without a chance because of too many intakes then we have to talk about the ASPCA in other education lectures. Also we only give 10-15 minute presentations while also bringing out certain dog breeds such as pits, rotts, etc. so I am not sure if we can squeeze in breed origins, and older information about them. I am looking more for detailed responses such as what others have given me like digging, shedding, boredness, activity, etc.

also need to mention about their love for gardening IMO :lol: I don't think they're the best dog for award-winning garden owners

Balto was so kind as to help us try to dig up a giant oak tree the other day....

tbh louise has coverd everything there exccept diet :goodjob:

Do you use raw? I do not know anything about raw (I can always ask my local food lady) but we are also wanting to do an info session on dog nutrition.

Local SPCA or ASPCA? Very different things. ASPCA isn't known to be much help when it comes to using their millions of dollars for local rescues.

ASPCA in MO, I know what I am talking about. It is one of the smaller branches to the larger one and they do help our shelter out. Not every organization or branch of an organization operates the same. The people there usually take our german shepards to rescues and have taken in our animals as well. So yes ASPCA NOT SPCA (I know the difference considering I have been working with animals for years)

I ask for clarification since I find a great many people who should know but don't, regardless of how many years they have been working with animals.

It is called ASPCA National outreach of St. Louis, MO please feel free to look it up. Hopefully that is enough clarification for you.

I read, but I still wasn't prepared for, the amount of hair involved and the work required to keep your house relatively hair free. And I still see the occasional dog fur tumbleweed blow across the floor! :P

I have just gotten to the point where after I clean I see a tumbleweed and just say I give up, although Balto really does like to eat his hair

Share that they are independent thinkers and give examples. Talk about the two layer coat and why they have it and why they should never be shaved. Best if you can take a husky with you to demonstrate their personalities.

My girls and I do quite a few presentations at care centers and just completed our first appearance at an elementary school. Gear your subject matter to the age of your audience. 

Show how to groom them properly, how to use different collars and harnesses, and if you have the opportunity to work with children, teach them how to properly greet a dog they do not know. Teach them to ask if they may pet the dog and exactly how to pet it (never over the head).

You could explain how to care for their feet, especially with huskies that are working (even if it's casual pulling).

Opportunities are endless.

I've found it best to pick and choose a few things at a time. That way I have something new to teach at the next visit.