While In School...

MirkoS

Hello everyone,

Soon I will be getting a Husky puppy and I'm not entirely sure what to do about it while in school. My school starts at 8:30  and lasts till around 14:40 and takes me at least another 45 minutes to get home, so I usually arrive at 15:30-15:40. Since I will be getting a puppy, I plan on crate training it and I was wondering if it's okay to keep it in a crate for that long? I might get my dad to go home from time to time to let the puppy out for 30 minutes or so, so that it can go potty.

I've been doing research and I read on multiple occasions, on different forums and websites, that their Huskies are fine left alone for that long (while their owners are at work, etc.). What is your opinion, advice/idea on what I could and should do?

Thanks. :)

Fully grown Huskies yes can be crated for that long (but not recommended)

Puppies however do need to go potty every hour or so and need to be supervised especially when potty training.

When getting a puppy you need to set aside about 3 months where you can give the dog the constant attention and training

that it needs. So if you are at school then perhaps next summers holiday time might be the best time to get one.

Hi there!  :wave:  A young pup will definitely need someone to come over and let them out for regular toileting breaks and interaction as that is a significant amount of time to be crated when young.  You would also likely need to crate train your pup first which will take some time to achieve.  you'd probably do well to plan to get your pup at a time when you know you'll be around for a few weeks to help them get settled in and adjusted to their new life with you.  That said, I'd definitely recommend crate training as it's an incredibly useful tool!

Although some adult huskies do cope with being left for significant periods of time, it's not a natural instinct for a pack orientated animal such as a husky,  especially a puppy who is still largely emotionally dependant on their family.  I'm not saying it can't be done as I've had to do it myself, but it does takes time and persistence to get your pup used to  being left indoors.  You'll probably have to start off leaving them for short periods of time and building up gradually.  Good luck!  Hope all goes well for you!  :)

Thanks for the useful tips. I don't really like the idea of crating my Husky, it sounds kind of cruel. But I am not entirely sure if he would behave while I'm gone if not crated; I have another dog that can keep him company and 3 cats that are more or less outside cats ( since they tend to spend most of their time out, and then come at night to sleep - mostly in my bedroom ).

Those 7 hours are the only time when there's nobody at home (except for another dog). When I come home I usually exercise (I have home gym) and I also do cardio-training / jogging so I can bring him for those when he gets a bit older so that he doesn't develop any kind of joints / hips problem.

I guess I will be getting a puppy for winter break since it lasts for at least 2-3 weeks. Do you think that that is enough time to crate train him?

-- Or alternatively, I can get him while on summer break like Andy suggested.

Personally I'd wait until the summer break, this will  also help with toilet training  as it's much easier to toilet train in the summer months! 

Crating is definitely the way to go and eventually you'll find that they grow to love their crate as a "den" area where they feel safe.  It just takes time to get to that stage and definitely not cruel, in fact it's actually much safer.  If your dogs decided to argue when you weren't there, then they would have ample opportunity to do some damage.  Without your presence to stop it from getting out of hand, it could be a real problem.  Also pups can be little hoovers and husky pups in particular seem to be a breed that love destruction of sofa's, beds, anything they can get their teeth on really!  Crating again will help to protect them from themselves!   And of course a husky of any age should never be left alone with cats.  So yes, I think you're making the right plans in going for crate training.  :)

please please be careful with cats and huskies. I know there is people on here that have cats and huskies but just this week someone I know had to rehome her husky because it attacked her cat.

And it had lived with it for ages.

There is nothing cruel about crating them, mine are 3, 4 and 10 months old and all crated at night and when im absent. Which I add is never more than 4/5 hours at a maximum.

I will most likely leave the cats, but not in the same room when they're alone.

Anyway, I've read the entire "Crate training ideas" thread () and it give me a pretty good idea on what I should expect and do.

I plan on getting 42" crate from day one and start training my husky from the beginning. Since he'll be sleeping in his crate, I will first start by luring him into the crate with treats and food for 10-15 minutes 2-3 times a day. Now, when I start doing that, is it a good idea to close the crate, i.e. lock it? Also, what if he doesn't stop crying even after 15 minutes? Should I leave him inside until he stops crying and then give him a treat once he does stop? Since I plan on keeping the crate right beside my bed (so that I can monitor him throughout the night when he needs to go outside to do his "business"), should I keep crate open or closed throughout the night?

Thanks. And I apologize for having gazillion questions. xD

There are two schools of thought on this one.  The tough love approach and the soft loving one.  Overnight, I'd keep the crate door shut.  Yes he will cry at first (i'm calling your future pup a he for ease of replying), but if you keep letting him out, he'll learn that crying is rewarded with being let out of the crate and will keep doing it!  When you first set up the crate, encourage him inside for a few mins at a time with toys and treats inside his crate to make it a fun place to be, initially with the door open if you wish and then over the course of the day, build up to closing the door and leaving him inside for a few minutes.  Obviously if he starts to cause himself physical harm then he needs to be let out straight away but try to be strong against the general crying thing that'll likely occur at first.  Never use the crate as a form of punishment, this will make it a bad place to be and he won't ever want to get in it then! 

I would also recommend waiting until the summer to get one. But make sure its from a reputable breeder. 

However, despite this, i would still recommend trying to rescue one first. There are many in need of homes - in my experience most dogs in shelters are already crate and potty trained, and will be able to hold their bladder until you get home from school.

The real trick to crate training, I'm told (since I don't crate mine), is to make it his den.  Remember dogs are pack and den animals and they're most happy when they have their "family" (in this case you) around and a safe place to stay.  Also, making sure that the crate is small enough so that it feels like a den to him can help.  When you get his crate, either make sure that there is a movable divider or (get together with your dad and) make a movable divider - what you want, desirably is a crate that's big enough for him to stand in, lay down and stretch out ... but not so big that he can (mentally) set this portion aside for his "business" and the rest to sleeping, etc.

Now, my curiosity is getting the better of me, your written English is excellent (on a par with Liv) so that prompts the question of where you learned it? (and of course, how old you are, we have school kids in here who I think are pushing 30 something ... so ...)

I'm glad you opened up to crate training! I'm also one of those who thought it was 'cruel' at first, but now I'm over-glad I did. All of mine go in their crates when they want to nap and its their 'chill' space, they'll also hoard all their favorite toys in there. I also agree with waiting til the holiday to get a puppy, I requested off the first two weeks with Yuki off work to help get her into her routine, wished I could've had longer but I had to get back to work, and then I had a pet sitter until she was about 6 months old, thats when I got a new job closer to home and I started crating the pups while I was gone. They're usually crated 6 hours at the most, roughly 3 times a week. 

The real trick to crate training, I'm told (since I don't crate mine), is to make it his den.  Remember dogs are pack and den animals and they're most happy when they have their "family" (in this case you) around and a safe place to stay.  Also, making sure that the crate is small enough so that it feels like a den to him can help.  When you get his crate, either make sure that there is a movable divider or (get together with your dad and) make a movable divider - what you want, desirably is a crate that's big enough for him to stand in, lay down and stretch out ... but not so big that he can (mentally) set this portion aside for his "business" and the rest to sleeping, etc.

Now, my curiosity is getting the better of me, your written English is excellent (on a par with Liv) so that prompts the question of where you learned it? (and of course, how old you are, we have school kids in here who I think are pushing 30 something ... so ...)

Yeah, I've read that as well. I will most likely get a bigger crate with a divider so that I don't have to buy multiple crates once he starts to grow.

Anyway, I don't usually care about grammar or spelling on the Internet, but to answer your question I mostly learned it from spending time on the Internet (kind of ironic, I know xD). And I'm 17. :P

Personally I think it's great that you two, Mirko and Liv, have such a good command of English.  I know how difficult it can be to learn another language - even when everything is laid out grammatically which English definitely is NOT!

Mirko, I'll backhand you if you say that you don't care about grammar, etc on the internet - man, yours is so much better than many that it's actually disgusting! << tease, btw >>

Thanks for the useful tips. I don't really like the idea of crating my Husky, it sounds kind of cruel. But I am not entirely sure if he would behave while I'm gone if not crated; I have another dog that can keep him company and 3 cats that are more or less outside cats ( since they tend to spend most of their time out, and then come at night to sleep - mostly in my bedroom ).

Those 7 hours are the only time when there's nobody at home (except for another dog). When I come home I usually exercise (I have home gym) and I also do cardio-training / jogging so I can bring him for those when he gets a bit older so that he doesn't develop any kind of joints / hips problem.

I guess I will be getting a puppy for winter break since it lasts for at least 2-3 weeks. Do you think that that is enough time to crate train him?

-- Or alternatively, I can get him while on summer break like Andy suggested.

Perhaps you should wait until you are out of school to get a husky. They are pack animals and love nothing more than being near their humans. Stubborn and independent, they also need loads of exercise. I'm not trying to be mean here, but I do feel that a husky is not the best choice for your life at this point. A bored husky is a destructive husky and with that length of time alone and/or crated, the energy this husky would have when out of the crate will be over the top. I feel it would be better to wait. Do your research now, purchase what you will need and get all the information gathered on the breed that you possibly can. Then, when you have more time, get your husky. Both of you will be much happier.

Hello,

I've come to an agreement with my family and we found a solution. Anyway, I've found a good breeder, but the only puppies that the breeder currently has for sale are all 5.5months old. Now, my questions is: are they too old to adapt the new environment (that being my home) and attach to me as their owner, or should I continue with my search ?

Regards,

Hello,

I've come to an agreement with my family and we found a solution. Anyway, I've found a good breeder, but the only puppies that the breeder currently has for sale are all 5.5months old. Now, my questions is: are they too old to adapt the new environment (that being my home) and attach to me as their owner, or should I continue with my search ?

Regards,

Age doesn't matter. That very myth is why people walk past adults in shelters and pick the cute babies instead. However, I believe you've read about teenage behavior? Considering this is gonna be your very first husky, you might wanna ask yourself how patient you are ;) That being said, I agree with Becky. I don't think this is a good time for you to get a husky... Maybe it's best to wait but if you think you can do it then go for it :) 

I got my girl at 3 months old and she was a lot better behaved n needed less puppy training then my 2 month old male did and she was ready for walks straight away which was a bonus

An older pup won't need such high demand toilet training either as they will already be partly trained (if the breeder has been doing that for them)

IMHO, as the others have said - if the breeder has been doing his job (socializing and potty training) then considering that you're in school the age of this pup is a good match for you.

He's old enough to have a lot of his puppy out of him ( as if Husky's ever get over puppyhood :) ) but still young enough to adapt readily to your habits. 

Depending on how far away from the breeder you are, and what you have for transportation, you might see if you can ask the breeder to do some crate training for you (if the dogs aren't crate trained?) ... another thought on that same line, if you have winter holidays coming up shortly you might ask if he'd keep the pup until your holidays. You'll have time with the pup at home before you have to go back to school and the pup is thrust into a crate all day, give the pup a chance to get used to you all before you go back to school.  With ( a lot of ) luck, you might find that you don't need the crate, not all Husky's do - mine don't.

Hello,

Regards,

I adopted my boy at 4 years old, and he's adapted to my family very well...so a 5.5 month puppy should have no problems. That being said, the 5.5 month old is approaching his rebellion/teenager stage...so make sure to do a lot of research and be sure to understand (and that your family understands as well) that he will misbehave for the sake of misbehaving...he'll push boundaries just to see what he can get away with...and its important to have a LOT of patience and consistency in his training at this time. This goes for all your family members. A lot of huskies are abandoned by their owners when they are 'teenagers' because they are unable to put up with their behaviour anymore. 

Also, I second what Al posted (right above me)