Car Help

BingBlaze n Skyla

Yesterday my car wouldn't start , my grandad charged the battery abit n it worked fine, got my dad to find the charger out n charged battery overnight

However when I started the car earlier it sounded off, hard to explain just didn't sound right, it did start tho, any ideas on what is up with it? If anything? Or is it just getting used to having a full battery again?

Thanks in advance

We had a similar problem on two different vehicles. One was the starter (a pretty cheap replace and not too hard to do on your own if you are handy at all), the other was simply corroded battery cables that needed to be cleaned off and re-tightened.

If your battery is draining though, it's probably either the starter or the alternator.

Alternator might be knackered.

This is the part that recharges your battery as it's driving.

If this isn't working properly then the battery will always be draining until you find the car won't start

or while driving everything simply Stops.

Yeah I have had an alternator go out on me while driving before...All my gages went wacky and lights coming on and off randomly.  Luckily I was able to get home! 

I don't know about places there but here there are several places that will hook up to your car's computer for free and it will tell you what's wrong

I just had my battery replaced because it died completely and it didnt sound right so we changed the spark plugs and now its fine lol xx

They should be able to test your battery, called test under load, to see if the battery has any weak or dead cells. How old is the battery? Has the weather changed lately to colder temps? Hopefully it's just the battery.

If it was the Alternator the light on the dash should be showing. Contrary to popular belief the light is an alternator light and not a battery light. It is possible that the car has a short circuit somewhere which may be draining the battery overnight. I would be very suspicious of the starter motor being at fault but, to be honest it could be anything. A good vehicle electrician should be able to check it out fairly quickly. Hope you get it sorted soon. ;)

Gary.

Yeah we had a situation where our starter motor essentially stayed "open", so it was draining the battery. The car would jump start or start if the battery had just been charged, but otherwise wouldn't do a thing. I think the part cost about $140. 

Fingers crossed its nothing too expensive Nix. My proper cars been out of action since spring, the automatic gearbox computer went up the spout and it's been going back and forth to the repair centre ever since! Been using a tiny old banger to get around and that's just started juddering now, think its the spark plugs. Cars are so expensive! Lol.

Fingers crossed its nothing too expensive Nix. My proper cars been out of action since spring, the automatic gearbox computer went up the spout and it's been going back and forth to the repair centre ever since! Been using a tiny old banger to get around and that's just started juddering now, think its the spark plugs. Cars are so expensive! Lol.

Stick with the older one Emma.. They're less trouble than these new, modern tin boxes with computers.

Gary.