Introducing A Mal Puppy To My Husky - Tips And Advice Please!

Blizzard

Today I brought home my new malamute pup and blizzard seems fine with her, although a bit boisterous but she seems very aggressive towards him, barking and attacking him! I've separated them to give her a rest but just wandered if anyone has any tips on helping them to eventually get along? Am I doing wrong by keeping her away? She's just sooo small n I don't want blizzard trampling on her but at the same time I'm making sure they both get love and attention and don't feel left out x help needed please ! X

Sorry plz delete uploaded twice! X

Separating your pup at first is a good idea as its a huge change settling into a new environment and a safe quiet area will help greatly. If you keep blizzard on a lead when introducing them to each other it will help you to control them if things gets out of hand. That said, most dogs are usually gentler with pups than adults by natural instinct but if it helps to use a lead for peace of mind then do it. Remember that huskies play roughly and it can be easy to mistake this as aggression. Play it by ear and see how you go. Oh and congratulations on your new addition! . Xxx

I'm having similar trouble, not that we have a mal but a friend of ours has just brought home a mal x husky pup. I thought our husky Zara (12 months old) would be ok with a puppy, as she is usually very gentle around pups but being around Layla (12 week old husky x Mal) just had her too excited. I kept Zara on leash with lots of rewards for sitting and being calm but as soon as she got close to Layla she would jump and try to play in that boisterous husky way!

In Layla's defence, she let out a low growl and when I think she s a little older she'll hold her own just fine against Zara (will probably give her a decent telling off which is what she needs!). I always struggle a bit knowing when to just let Zara go and play with smaller dogs, hoping that they will sort themselves out and establish a pecking order, vs having her on leash and not letting her jump in. I worry that she might hurt smaller dogs, she's not aggressive at all but just gets SOOOOO excited when there are potential play mates around!

Hey there Hayley congrats on the new puppy :) if Blizzard is jumpy, then the puppy might be growling just because she wants to say "BACK OFF". I think separating them for the time being is a good idea. After some time maybe you can put the Mal in a pet carrier and let Blizzard (maybe it's best if he's kept on-lead) sniff her. Then, turn him around and let her sniff him. They should be fine in no time :)

Thanks everyone :) I've done a few things, nukka is being kept separate for the time being and I've started bringing blizzard in on a lead around 4 times a day, there a lot better than day 1 but blizzard is still very excited! Although he looks like a ballet dancer trying not to step on nukka haha :) I think once she has grown a bit and the introductions get more and more they'll be fine, I wS so worried on day 1 but I understand shed just left her mummy and was probably scared as hell! I definitely think she will be boss around here now tho ;) here's a pic for u xpost-10616-0-17375300-1382999063_thumb.j